Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

heh, the g-boys are convenient cause there's one for each senshi. [img]wink.gif[/img] But giving each one a past life! Argh! Does get old quickly... sometimes it works, but rarely.

After all, if they all had past lives in the Silver Milennium, it'll take a lot to convince me that any of them should be paired with Usa. Cause I do usually support Usa/Endymion. I like Endy. Just not that big of a fan of Mamo or Tuxedo Kamen. ^_^"

With the g-boys, I generally prefer them all to be only from the present. Or else non-silver millennium past lives. ^_^"

Oh, btw Eyes_of_pearl, I think the fic I was talking about was called "Immortality" or something along those lines. Think it was discontinued sadly. But to my knowledge, Usa did not go SSJ in that one. Basically everyone from the DBZ world feared her (she was the Angel of Death!) but Gohan, who actually reached out to her. v. sad. ::sniff::

on a DBZ note, I'm generally ok with Veggie and sometimes Goku in the Silver Millenium, but that's bout it. Luckily, most of these fics don't seem to over do it... most of the time. ^_^"

And for Lotr, anyone else notice how many fics have the Third Age of Arda coexisting with the world of the Silver Millenium and the Reign of the Moon. I dunno... I'm generally not a big fan of these. Then again, maybe the Moon Kingdom could be rising during the Third Age and once Elessar becomes king the Silver Millenium does take place. Either that or in the First Age. Hrm....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I see some fics where they have the Silver Millennium is the precursor to the realm of Middle Earth. Elves & Lunarians coexisting? not sure ... something to think about.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

okay, i don't know WHY this irritates me so much, but it does. whenever any senshi is reborn, they have the same name. like, usagi's parents will always have the "apiffany" of naming their child Usagi no matter how many different sets of parents she has. i don't care if the story's about her or another senshi being born in the wrong dimension or whatever and then being brought back to SM dimension or something, but when they are reincarnated into another life after the whole BSSM life, it makes no sense to me. that's why i like it when authors come up with original names to fit the reincarnatin like "Ithil" for LotR or something.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

With LotR stories people are more understanding of sorts to changed a scout's name to fit the story and genre they're reading.

I think in two of my GW/SM stories I've changed Serena's name and I've been bitched at more than I could count because they want to know why and so on and so forth.

Most of the time, I think, the writers just don't want to deal with the readers and the coming up with the names and/or they never think about it. I can say that I've never really thought of it but it does make sense, why would they have the same names over and over again, I may end up using that for a story.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Truly, I think that's one of the big things that separates fanfiction from real fiction. In real fiction, you have to take the time to introduce a character to the audience and develop a personality and history and everything. Through your work, the audience grows to know the character.

In ff, everyone already knows the characters and wants to read to hear more tales about the characters they love. Unfortunately, this also means they don't want to have to guess. (Personally, I love the guessing, because then we have the chance to read something beyond mere fanfiction, something hovering between real fiction and ff...)

I think the main reason the names are changed in LotR crossovers is because people have *finally* realized the elvish is an awesome language. So we all screw it up at times, but we try. Kinda like non-Japanese people's obsession with learning Japanese tidbits... using the language seems to prove that you're a true fan or something.

And I do believe that the main reason names are changed more in LotR crosses than elsewhere is solely because of these wonderful languages Tolkien created. Elsewhere, we'd have to draw from real or imaginary names that would mean nothing to the reader. Whereas with elvish, we can mask the favorite senshi in a pretty name that might mean the exact same thing as her Japanese name (haha, I am such a sucker for this ^_^").

Wow, I do believe I have gone way off topic. Bad habit, gomen. ^_^"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think that when you are writing LOtr fics, you have so much more to work with. Elvish - both Sindarin & Quenya, the language of Men and so far, you are exploring at a different playing field. Whereas with Japanese, you are reusing the same phrases & concepts all the time.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    okay, i've just been reading a fic by Luinfirith. It's a GW/SM crossover. It's alright. kinda cliche with a betrayal but it's during the R season when mamo's trying to protect usagi. anyhow, she keeps having mako, rei, and all of usagi's other friends referring to her as "usako". now, i've reviewed telling her that this is EXTREMELY creepy and that usagi's nicknames from her FRIENDS are "usagi-chan" or "usa-chan" but she says there is nothing wrong with them calling her "usako" because it's a nickname between friends. [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img] i tried to explain to her about japanese and how the "ko" was short for "koi/koibito" and that was what significant others call each other. i dunno if my choice of words was off or something because she continues to do it and it's seriously FREAKING ME OUT!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yeah i know what you mean cuz if you're writing in another language, whether it's in japanese or elvish, you should follow the grammatical structure. although, i'll be readily agree that often my work needs an extra proofreading, i acknowledge that it needs to follow some sort of structure. i don't think one should immediately brush it off and say that it doesn't really matter when it does.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789