Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hehe, I think SM fans just generally are in love with "destiny" and "that *one* perfect true love out there, waiting for you alone" (aka Soulmate).

And Eyes_of_Pearl and everyone else, make sure you read the Faramir/Eowyn chap in Rotk, "Houses of Healing". It didn't make the theatrical cut, but PJ promised it would be in the (50 EXTRA MINUTES!) extended.

But it's a beautiful chapter. Faramir, injured almost to death by the battle and then his father's madness. Eowyn, a tortured soul seeking only death. The two slowly finding comfort in each other's arms.... and Merry thrown in now and again for some comic relief. ^_^" Good times.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

cool, I will definitely keep an eye out for that scene then. I really wanted to see the Faramir/Eowyn developed more, in the book and in the movie.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i know what you mean. it was very anti-climatic, but in a way, it needed to be in there.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

oohh, that reminds me of another scene that i want to see: the wedding between Aragorn & Arwen, the part in 'Many Partings' where everybody went on their separate ways. Although, I was kinda of glad that the movie didn't show too much about Saruman in the Shire ... I don't know, I just thought that part really dragged in the book. (Maybe it's just me)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yah, PJ didn't like it either. It did drag, but at the same time, I really wanted to see the battle, with Merry blowing the horn of Rohan and Pip being all heroic and Sam with Rosie and Frodo being forgiving... ::sigh::

Glad he captured the essence of it though. With the Travellers getting strange looks as they rode through the Shire, and sharing some ale in the Inn... ::sigh::

::needs to see RotK again::

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

calli's right. this is dying so it's time we think up new discussions. i know, i have one! muahahahaha

okay, so i've noticed that many fanfiction writers have Arda existing between the time the moon kingdom ended and the scouts were reborn. this makes no sense to me because queen selenity sent the scouts one thousand years into the future whereas the universe of arda spans over THOUSANDS of years. i guess that's what prompted me to write a fic where Arda was actually the future after Crystal Tokyo. It makes more sense to me because after all great kingdoms, we see a period of "dark ages" so to speak. (like after the roman empire ended, we had the medieval period which was very behind times).

i got the concept from this great anime, "Scrapped Princess" and you should all download it (don't worry, it's not illegal because it's not licensed yet. I'll try to get you the site for where you can get it). I highly recommend it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yah, that's a good point. The only way that would work is if they split the universes after the Moon Kingdom fell or something... I could see that possibly happening if the Moon Kingdom fell at the end of the First Age, but it doesn't seem to fit elsewhere. Cause from then on, the years kinda shift together until they reach the present day, the age of men.

Personally, I like the view two separate universes, on parallel planes. Sometimes they connect in strange ways. Or else the whole branching off approach like above.

That was a really strange ramble. But I guess what I'm trying to say is that it depends on the fic and how the author presents hir theory. Some work well, and some fall flat on their face.

I hate it the most when author's don't think it out, and they hit a stumbling block in their theory/plot and just try to pretend it isn't there, making it worse.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know if this makes sense, but I like to think the Silver Millennium happens after the First Age. The Silver Millennium was destroyed some time before the Third Age.

My theory (one I used for 'Truly Belong) is that Lunarians were derivatives of Elves and they were in fact decendents from Arda. Hence, the similarities between Lunarians & Elves. ... not sure how to follow up with that but just a thought though.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yah, I could see that. When I choose, I do usually prefer the Silver Millennium (whether on the same plane or not) to take place after at least an Age has passed in Arda.

Hey, if it were the end of the First Age, perhaps some of the other Noldor chose to remain exiled and made their home their. Thus the Lunarians would be descended solely from High Elves...

... I can also see a lot of similarities between Lunarians and the Vanyar elves, but can't really think up a plot as to why... perhaps some could have abandonned Valinor for the Heavens, who knows. ^_^"

I have a fic I started writing a zillion years ago about the whole First/Third Age- Silver Millennium thing. Basically, what if the ship bearing the Ring Bearers was never destined to reach Valinor? Upon the holy waters Galadriel fuses the Three together to create one mighty crystal. The ship was then taken up to the heavens where they were all destined to start new lives. As the elves faded from Middle Earth, the few remaining elves (and others) founded nations and planets in the sky, that would lead to a vast empire...

... yah, you guessed it. This was another idea inspired by the Celebrian-Selenity similarity. Galadriel founds the moon kingdom and assumes the name Selene... the rest is history lol.

I was saving it till after RotK was released and people would know what I was talking about (without me spoiling it) and now it just rots away. Perhaps I should continue. It intrigues me. But honestly, that's basically the whole story there (it was intended to just be a long one-shot). Hmmm...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

actually, i read somewhere that after elves came into being, they were actually wandering and lost among the stars. they were guided to arda by i dunno who (ainur, i think) so theoretically, they could have been guided to all the planets, not just earth, and have been left to flourish. in that case, middle earth took place thousands of years BEFORE the silver millenium. that actually makes sense because the silver millenium was so technologically advanced.

one thing, didn't the third age last over a thousand years? cause i always see dates as 3132 T.A. or something so i thought that meant 3132 years into the third age. is every millenium an age? wow, that makes a lot more sense...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast