Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Subject: Re: Anxiously awaiting Midnight Nation #5
    Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

<font color=red>Noticed that the new issue hasn't come out yet since at least December. I wonder if something is being held up at the printing end.</font>

I've just today approved the last of the colored pages on Midnight Nation 5, and I think this is the strongest issue to date. It gives you a preview of what's coming down the road (again my tendency to show you what's coming at the end, but you don't know the context) and it's just completely kickass, especially the artwork, which is impressive as all hell.

I think it'll be out in a couple of weeks. Keep an eye out for it, it's a good one.

<font color=yellow>For that matter, when's Rising Stars #13 out?</font>

Same deal here, the last of the colored pages came through on Friday, so it should be out in a few weeks.

jms

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Subject: Re: Boxleitner and JMS in EON - ATTN JMS

<font color=red>However, he says television is entering a recession and that there is
    no reason for Warner's to do more B5. Basically it sounds as if he thinks there'd be no money to be made.</font>

Bruce is a fine actor, but he really doesn't understand the business part of making and selling TV series. Of course there's money in it to be made, that's why they keep making TV series of all stripes.

Actors and writers get residuals each time an episode is aired. The amount of that residual is not based on the ratings, so any actor can't tell how it's doing based on that.

There are three different formulas used to compute ratings, one for network, another for syndication, a third (and the crummiest) for cable. Crummiest in that the amount of the residual is tied to the amount paid for the rights to show the series. Consequently, many of the studios that own cable networks (as Universal owns USA Network, for instance) sell the shows to themselves for the smallest amount possible.

Hence, a residual that, for a third or fourth airing, might bring a couple thousand bucks elsewhere, in that situation brings you literally about five dollars.

This is one of the issues being addressed in the current pre-strike negotiations.

jms

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Subject: New City of Dreams (repost)

The prior note didn't seem to go through, so for reference purposes...for those who've been waiting for the next installment of THE CITY OF DREAMS, it's up now at www.scifi.com/cityofdreams -- it's entitled The Alpha and Omega of David Wells, and it came out pretty nicely. (Stars Peter Gallagher.)

jms

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Peter Gallagher, wasn't he the American Dr. Who in the The movie that succeeded Sylvester McCoy?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<font color="red">
    Have you been out of the B5 business long enough that the characters have stopped whispering dialog suggestions and witty lines to you? Or are you doomed to a life of being awoken at 2 AM by Londo whining about this and that?
    </p>
    </font>They've learned to be a little more subdued...

jms
    </p>
    <font color="red">
    [long post regarding seeing JMS at a few cons where he was mobbed and showed signs of exhaustion]
    ...So when you say, ''If people are going to come from sometimes hundreds of miles away to be there, I owe them nothing less than a total effort,'' I say thank you for giving nothing less than a total effort.
    </p></font>
    I appreciate the kind report; I try as best I can to do as much as I can. Sometimes I fall short, but when things work out, it's great.

jms
    </p>
    <font color="red">[Re: actors given a chance to work on <u>Crusade</u> that were on Babylon 5]
    Actually according to Jeff Conaway it is a bid different here. Jeff, Tracy and Jerry were offered contracts for The Babylon Project: Crusade. But then some higher ups wanted (illogically) so divorce Crusade from B5 (so it could stand on it's own). The offers were taken back from Jerry and Jeff. They kept an offer open to Tracy because one of the higher ups went to school with her and wanter her in the series.
    </font></p>
    One should be careful what one listens to on the rumor mill. The only problem with the foregoing story is that it isn't true.

I had spoken with Tracy well in advance of Crusade about being involved with that series. (At one point I'd even mentioned to her that we were considering her for the role of captain of the Excalibur, though in the end we went for Gary Cole.)

Her position on the show got whipsawed by the changing positions at TNT. At first they wanted her there as well for purposes of continuity. Then they decided that they wanted the show to be TOTALLY SEPARATE from B5, no references, so we cut her appearances from the first episodes...then they said they DID want her so we put her back in again.
    But that's about it.

jms
    </p>
    <font color="red">.... can't believe I'm so emotionally involved with a science-fiction show that'e been off the air for a couple of years. Thanks, JMS!
    </font></p>

The pleasure is entirely mine.

jms</p>
    <Font color="red">
    I was wondering how you would compare and contrast the experience for writing for DC then and writing for Marvel/Top Cow now, since you now have the luxury of name recognition.</p>
    </font>
    There really wasn't much difference, in that Bob Greenberger pretty much let me do what I wanted, as long as I didn't change anything canonical. It was also just a one-shot, so there was only so much damage I could really do. What the "name recognition" factor has done, really, is to just get me access to more cool stuff.
    </p>

<font color="red"> Also, did you use the same writing style you use now. Was there any editorial meddleing or artist conflicts (drawing it differently that you wrote it).
    </font></p>
    In order of inquiries: yes, and no.
    </p>
    <font color="red">I always liked that issue and thought the two characters were a perfect pairing.
    </font></p>

Me too. I was surprised nobody had ever thought to put them together before, since there's a lot visually and thematically to play with.

jms
    </P>
    <font size="-4">

[This message has been edited by Wizz (edited February 04, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Captain "Cupcake" was going to be the captain of the Excalibur?
    I can hear ProfCrash cringing already...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

heheheh No real problems with Lochley here. The only real problem I ever had was that JMS tried to develop an entirly new character in the fifth season when he was wrapping things up. I mean, Sheridan and Lochley married but that not appearing in either of their records? Please.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProfCrash:
    heheheh No real problems with Lochley here. The only real problem I ever had was that JMS tried to develop an entirly new character in the fifth season when he was wrapping things up. I mean, Sheridan and Lochley married but that not appearing in either of their records? Please.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even in the U.S. military today, they don't list ex-spouses. If you're married, the records say married. If you're divorced, they say single. Ex-spouses aren't included in the information package, so I guess I don't understand which records you're talking about. confused

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Actually, Fan, I remember alot of folks posting this same quiblle when the episodes originally aired and I don't remember anyone pointing that fact out. I had that same quibble so I for one definitely appreciate you sharing your knowledge in this area. Thanks

------------------
    Sindatur - The Grey owl Wizzard

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I also appreciate Fan's info.

I wonder though- someone in Sheridan's or Lochley's position in Earth Force and as prominent leaders- that is Sheridan anyway, surely the background would have been thoroughly researched and scrutinized- year by year or even day by day of their lives. That is the case now, yes? And I would assume in the future that even more through records would be possible.