Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I, personally, don't think an acadamy series would last. For me, I need t o see MANY new and exiting areas of exploration.

I have an idea, they can make a new TRek series and have a 5 minute Serial trailer at the end of each show. Hmmmmm

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It would be nice, in a way to see a new series with less emphasis on BEMs. I agree that an Academy series could get old pretty fast, but some inter-reaction with Earth from time to time would be interesting.

Voyager was disappointing, mainly, due to it's static general theme. How many episodes of a lost ship can one take, after all?

Too bad we couldn't have a new series with Jean Luc.

To the powers that be: "ginesthoi"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by absom4:

Voyager was disappointing, mainly, due to it's static general theme. How many episodes of a lost ship can one take, after all?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they had just stopped to ask someone...anyone...for directions, it would have saved them and us some grief!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I personally would like to see something along the lines of DS9. Not the storyline, but components that make up the show.

Character driven, Arc driven, Lots of mythology and Politics.

Although B5 did the total Arc thing sooner, DS9 did always have the politics and mythology.

Feel free to throw your stones at will

[Sindatur and Blair duck]

Wait that didn't come out right. I meant Sindatur and Blair (owls), ducked out of the way of possible incoming.

------------------
    Sindatur - The Grey owl Wizzard

[This message has been edited by sindatur (edited January 15, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have to agree on Sindatur's DS9 comment. I think in many ways, this Trek series was the best of the lot. I have always liked continuing stories and DS9 had some of that after the first few seasons. Characters actually developed, changing over time, too -- something that was not seen in previous series and not very much in Voyager.

I don't think an Academy based series would do well at all. It would be like 90210 in space -- appealing to teens, perhaps, but it would be hard to write in such a way to appeal to the diehard Trekkers.

I have heard two ideas that have been tossed around for new series:

(1) Setting the series in the time that Vulcans made contact with Earth and real space exploration was just beginning;

(2) Developing a series based on the "New Frontier" characters (these are found in a series of Trek based novels).

Any thoughts on these possibilities?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have the horrible feeling that we, as original Trekkers are probably getting to the point of no return for the networks. Series aimed at the younger fans are considered more profitable.
    This, of course, makes little or no sense. The commercials, if aimed at an older generation, would certainly hit some better stuffed pocketbooks than those carried by teens.
    I agree with Rowyn that a series based on the Vulcan first encounter would be interesting. After all, Star Wars did a back flip.

ginesthoi

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Maybe "Buffy the Klingon Slayer" could have a little something for everyone....;-)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Count me among the DS9 fans. I'm sure there are a bunch of similarities between DS9 and B5. But there are a lot of differences as well.

DS9 had great character development. I can't think of any glaring plot lines that got dropped. The end of the series left me feeling satisfied.

I especially like the way they handled Jadzia's death in the last season. Instead of throwing a character in and expecting us to accept her. She had to get Jadzia's widow Worf to accept her. And Jadzia's friends like Kira. I didn't hinge on one character to show this transition. It was spread across several characters, they all interacted.

I really did like B5. But sometimes I got the sense that square pegs were being shoved into round holes. That characters were interacting because it was scripted, not because it made sense for the characters. Most notably, the characters that should have been around for other characters that weren't. Franklin not noticing that Mr. G was back in the bottle. After Garibaldi's chasing him during his stim addiction, he SHOULD have! Zack, yeah, Zack made some sense...but Garibaldi and Franklin were close. Garabaldi and Franklin were both addicts. Yeah Franklin was busy, had his own stuff. But Garibaldi was there when he was busy, had his own stuff.

I never really got this feeling watching DS9, relationships that were established were followed. O'Brian and Bashier, an unlikely duo, became friends over time. Kira and Odo, their relationship built up over time. I wasn't a huge fan of their relationship, but it was done well and rang true.

I miss DS9, but because it was a damn good series, rather than loose ends.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OOOOOH, Rowyn,

I hadn't heard that about the Vulcan first contact idea. That could be really cool.

Back before the Klingons were our friends, back when the Romulans were new.

------------------
    Sindatur - The Grey owl Wizzard

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I liked all the Treks, and B5 (Closest thing ive seen on TV to REAL SF! I think Harlan Ellison had a lot to do with that).

My fave Trek series was DS9, after the first season as the cast settled in, and when they got more of a story thread (the war with the Dominion) Prolly a reaction to thier competitor B5.
    Id like to see a series based on Sisko, Worf, and Dax (Jadzea, and yes, I know she is dead!) where they have to go on a prolonged war cruise in hostile space (Pick a race, the Cardassians were great bad guys) and have to compromise thier Federation beliefs even more than in DS9Throw in Quark for some levity.
    shadowjacklg

[This message has been edited by Shadowjack (edited January 24, 2001).]