Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Discussion of the B5 Novels (Spoilers)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lyta died during the telepath war. I heard it was referred to, or shown briefly, in a Crusade episode. (I have all those episodes on tape, have never watched them, which makes me a philistine, I guess) Lyta apparently didn't have any lines and a different actress was used to portray her, which caused some confusion. IIRC, she blew something up.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

geez, blowing an episode just to stiff her for four days of pay; he's lucky she wasn't REALLY a vorlon-altered telepath.

hey all, the B5 episodes are just coming up on Londo's installation as emperor and his encounter with the drakh and their keepers. so i guess this is a good time to start discussing book one of Legions of Fire.

I am in the second book of this series right now and I like it much better then reckoning. It's extremely well written--I can see an episode in my head as I'm reading--all the dialog is exactly in character--and it's much more dramatic. I keep turning pages not only because I want to see what is happening next but because I get so worked up about what's happening to Londo, Vir, and Timov. I think the drakh are even worse as instruments of punishment than the shadows would have been.

There's also a parallel here I really like. It seems like the technomages are sort of the new vorlons--powerful, enigmatic, but sworn to observe and advise, not interfere, while the drakh are clearly the new shadows, but even more malicious. In fact, until Kane enters the plot, things are looking pretty bleak. Vir, on his own, would never figure out what's going on and Londo, for all his acts of resistance, can't do anything without allies.

iz

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

iz, let me know when you have finished the third book. If I discuss the Legions of Fire before then I will spoil things. I know me

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am finishing Boojk 1 tonight. ya know, in an odd way, I kinda like Shiv'kala (sp?)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I believe we were meant to Nommy, it is B5 ya know. I had the same feeling when I was reading it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

same here, I can't discuss the books til you have read all three. I don't specifically remember which book some events were in and when I get started I want to discuss the progression.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I really like the way Vir grows through this Trilogy. In the first book you seem him grow a little more than he did in the series. Then you see the changes he goes through with Mariel in the 2nd book and finally what he becomes in the 3rd book.

I've heard (well actually read) a few people saying that the change and growth were unbelievable. But for me, if you follow his path through the series and expand it with the books, all the events causiing the changes make perfect sense and build properly into his personna.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I definitely DON'T like the drakh, but maybe that is because I am midway into Volum 2.

As far as Volume 1 goes, though, I can't think of anything worse for Londo than being powerless. He's been a social climber his entire life, and he enjoyed using the influence and authority he has as ambassador. Now I think he has actually reached a point where he understands power and would be wise in its use--and he finds out that he can do nothing to influence the events around him, even though some people are depending on him for help.

I'd like to say that's poetic justice, but in fact, I don't think Londo is getting justice at all. I think the real tragedy here is that he will never get the chance to atone for all the damage he's done in the past.

iz

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OK folks, everyone drop the Centauri books and go pick up the Techno Mage book. It rocks (read it last night).

There is sooooooo much that I want to say, mention, theorize about but I don't want to spoil it for people.

PC prays that the gang reads the Techno Mage book over the weekend

By the way, I liked it. Thought it was really cool. Some surprising characters and some connections that are really, really, cool.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

On the Legions of Fire series,

I really enjoyed watching Vir and Londo grow as characters. I am not sure enjoyed is really the right word. I miss the Vir we knew on Babylon 5. The one who thought that problems could be solved if you did your best to do the right thing. The one who wanted nothing to do with acquiring power, no matter what status it would have brought him.

The way Vir develops is necessary, and logical. It is exactly what Londo was grooming him to become. Lord knows Vir learned from the best and takes the necessary steps. But every step away from the Vir on Babylon 5 is painful.

OK, that said, go read the Techno Mage book. Really, its really good. Its alot of fun. Kind of intense, interesting twists and turns, and some neat characters.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast