Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I find it totally abhorrent that the Perdue fans rioted after their loss yesterday. Makes themselves and their school look really bad.

It's only a frickin game.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Do you really think the game was the reason or that the kids were just drunk and behaving stupid? Trust me, at MSu there were three riots in a year and half period, two occuring after sporting events. None of them had a thing to do with the actual game (I mean, no one would riot after beating Minnesota in football)

Overall, my experience has been, that the kids see rioting as a form of partying. Until there are alot of arrests and people are injured, it doesn't sink in that riots do not equal party. Once MSU busted a large number of folks (over 100) and handed down some severe punishments (like no drinking and a curfew with enforcement) did the riots stop.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ran it is only a game to you but at most of these schools it is alot more then a game. It is a part of the College Life and experience. At Duke students camp out three nights in advance to get tickets to the North Carolina game. These are bright, well educated kids and theya re willing to camp out for three nights to get tickets to a basketball game.

Hell, you should see how Stanford reacts to its sports teams. Norhtwestern is the same when they actually win.

Not a reason to riot but it is more then a game to many folks. You can think what you want about that but that doesn't change the fact that Saturday night when MSU played so disgustingly bad that I didn't recognize them I was upset enough that I didn't answer my phone, took a long bath, and then drank a beer or two to drown my sorrows.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

in case anyone missed the results, here they are:

duke won.

michigan state lost.

iz

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, AsIs, these blisters are killing me.

Now I can't use my Spaceballs quote.

Cancel the three ring circus, close all shops in the mall....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face

<font face ="Verdana">Hmmm...do I hear an echo <font size="-4">echo </font>?

I think you're right, Prof. Riots are a idiotic excuse for a party format. I understand how people can be worked up to spend 3 days waiting for tickets. Just can't see the connection between losing (or winning) and focusing on destruction. How does the affected team feel about a riot they have no control over? Throw the whole rioting lot in jail for a few days, then fine 'em. And make it hurt dollar wise. Car pooling violations are ~$280 per incident. Should particpating in a riot be any less?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Only three days? I know some people who waited 8 months in line for hockey tickets.

My point is that a loss of a game in the long run means nothing. Guess what? Next year, the teams will play again, and again the year after that, ad nauseum. One team will win the whole championship, others won't. Maybe it will be their turn next year, maybe it won't. Whatever the outcome it does NOT give them license to act like criminals...nay, be criminals.... and cause damage to other people's property. Maybe they should have spent some time thinking about that as they waited those three days.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

And so it ends.

Pretty well matched teams, Duke and Arizona. Overall, it seemed that Duke was going to get it vs. Arizona. The three-point shot just seemed to be out of Arizona's reach. 10 point game, but it sure seemed closer than that.

Well, there's next year...

------------------
    "You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend."
    Yasir Arafat, PLO leader, on going to war over religion

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456