Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

<font face="Verdana">

The reason behind the Vorlons appearing as angels, (or as entities supporting the religous deity, depending on who's looking)is that there is, for the most part, one deity, that is one and only one. In order for the Vorlons to move about the younger races, they all can't appear as that deity without causing confusion (I thought we were taught there was only one, but look! There's two!!!). Hence, Vorlons take on the appearance of angles, so multiple Vorlons can be seen with out tearing down the religious beliefs of the younger races. Keep in mind, too, that the Vorlons have visited these places where they're seen as religious figures. When they started visiting, one of their objectives was to alter the DNA of these races so that when a Vorlon was seen, these "supporting" religious entities were what was seen.
    Finally, when we see Kosh, we see him(/her?) as Sheridan, G'Kar, and the Drazi ambassador each saw him, each one with different facial features reflecting the race that was looking at him. Kosh also had...angels wings. So I submit that Kosh did not appear as "God" in any ones view. Important religious figure, yes. Not God.</p>

G'Lan saves G'Quon. Kosh saves Sheridan. The work of angles. As for the Drakh....(you did mean Drazi, right Prof?) the name was given, but no history. I can't find anything regarding the Drazi religous figures, so I'll leave that one open.</p></font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wizz, you said that the Vorlons meddled with the races DNA. I know that was true in order to create telepaths, but I dont think it was used to see the Vorlons in their respective religious images. I think it was Kosh (or rhte Vorlons in general) who had to send out those mental images during an appearence. They are usually used to just appearing in front of a single race at a time.

If youll recall, Kosh said that he needed to rest. It took a toll on him by appearing infront of so many at one time.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well, i don't think this breaks the "no spoilers" rule, so here goes:

those of use who have seen the show know that we eventually see vorlons in a variety of forms. are any of those the way vorlons "really" look? unless jms has said something on the subject, we have no way of knowing. if vorlons can influence how others perceive them, than it's a safe bet that everytime we see a vorlon outside an encounter suit, we are seeing some sort of "projection." i would say this is true in all cases, even in two cases where it seems like we are seeing the vorlons "unmasked." i think we see just another, different mask.

i've always thought it interesting, too, that the very last time we see a vorlon in this series, it's in an encounter suit. just like the first time we saw one. they never give up their concealment, even after it has been broken a couple of times.

on a related topic, has anyone ever noticed (or queried jms) about the creature that took over sheridan in "KNIVES"? it disappeared into a temporal vortex, and, in doing so, looked awfully similar to one of the many incarnations of a vorlon.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

<font face="Verdana">Oy...I've read a lot, and just wish I could reference everything. Most of it, though, is here in the Lurkers Guide. That link goes directly to the "jms speaks" section regarding the Vorlons. Keep in mind that JMS is somewhat of a Vorlon himself, so some of the answers don't really address the issue raised.
    Hope that helps.</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<font face="Verdana">

Nommy, here's the quote from the above mentioned link. The term "genetic" is used instead of DNA, but I made the assumption that genitic meant DNA.</p><font color="red">

Yes, there would be some amount of variation among humans, though not in terms of beliefs that may have come along post-Vorlon influence. This sort of thing has been implanted almost at a genetic level, and they do have a hand, or a mind, in activating it when seen. The more people who see them in different ways, the longer they must maintain that, the greater the strain on them.</font></P>

It also points out why Kosh needed a rest period. I guess he took a nap in his ship so he wouldn't have to worry about anyone bothering him...that ship is a pretty good watchdog.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

iz, I don't think that anyone has. IF they have I don't know about it.

The Vorlon question is an intriguing one, which never is answered in full. (sighs)

Whgich of course explains why we are still discussing it here (grins)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hehe...you're right Prof. Leads to a lot of discussion.

Iz, JMS was asked about the entity that jumped back into the rift in Sector 14. He replied "Correct, the critter in "Knives" was most *definitely* not a Vorlon. "

Ya know, that damned Lurkers Guide is better than a program bible could ever hope to be.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678