Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Verona's topic from days of yore:
    After reading a few posts from my female compadres, I thought we might have a board of our own where we could discuss our interests, our hobbies, our husbands, significant others, etc.
    You do NOT have to know how to sew to join us. We are a friendly lot who like to talk about everything. Also included would be our unique perspectives and insights into B5 episodes, as well as commentaries on other sci-fi programs and writings. Men may visit OCCASIONALLY if they are polite.

(Note: In actuality, everyone has always been welcomed with open arms as long as they are polite.)

------------------
    MightyLady of the Flame Red Hair
    Somebody should have labeled the future 'Some assembly required.'

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Polly!

Hurrah! A new job and you're still coming to see me! What could be better? (I've even started cleaning up the place, kiddo.)

BTW, I have actually done the cross-country bus trip... years ago, in my college years. I rode Greyhound from Erie to San Fran. Frankly, I don't remember there being any problem with switchbacks... I-80 is not bad through the Rockies or the Sierra Nevadas. No, the strange part is how detached you can become when all you see is the inside of a bus or the occasional terminal. Washing up in restroom basins is no picnic, either. I'd never do it again by choice, but it's not as weird as some of the other things I've experienced in my life.

I've been a busy camper the past few weeks. I went to Shore Leave in Baltimore. It's a fan-run convention and I highly reccommend it to anyone. The headliner guests this year were Nichelle Nichols, Bruce Boxleitner and Jerry Doyle. I got to see all three as well as Erin Gray and author Peter David, who seemed to be everywhere, doing everything. One of the highlights for me was attending a live performance of the radio play The Arbiter Chronicles "Episode 3: Man of Letters."

I did take a few photos at the con. I'm planning to make a display page similar to what I did for the Klingon Blizzard Quadrant Picnic. When I get it up and running, I'll post the url.

Last weekend was the 32nd Annual Gem and Mineral Show hosted by the Gem City Rock and Mineral Society, of which I am a member. I spent most the day at the show Saturday, working the admissions table with occasional forays to cruise the dealers' tables in search of new goodies to buy. Sunday I worked the admissions table early then ran off to the King Family Reunion for the afternoon. I got back to the show about 15 minutes before the close. As one of the officers of the club, it fell to me to be the last person out. I stayed until all the dealers were packed and had left, sweeping the floor turning over the keys to the cleaning crew from the firehall.

The family reunion was a blast, as always. Get me, my sister and my cousin Cheryl together and we always revert to our childhood group dynamic. This means that we are always the group that is involved in ongoing ice cube pranks and smartass remarks. Ah, what fun! Can't wait for next year's reunion.

Enough for now. I have to get ready for lunch with a former co-worker. She's going to give me the dirt on what happened after I left that company. Evidently the a--hole general manager went after someone else once I had the good sense to resign in favor of a better job. And now she's next on his hit list. Should be an interesting lunch. smile

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

Wow, Bee, you've been busy. By contrast I have nothing going on.

Tonight I'm going to take my test for my orange belt in karate. Keep your fingers crossed, guys. I think I can get through the kata but keeping all the self-defense techniques straight in my head is a bit of a problem. And when I think that what I've been taught is a mere fraction of what we'll be learning.... Yikes.

Next month I'm going to be taking up the bagpipes. Yup, that's right. There's a group in Columbia, a real band, and they take newbies and teach them on Monday afternoons. So maybe I'll be able to learn; it helps that I can read music already. Not sure how thrilled the neighbors will be once I get to the point where I switch to the actual bagpipes instead of just playing the chanter. And I know the cats aren't going to be pleased. I may end up being just the world's most obnoxious noise-maker.

A few of us in the community band have put together an ensemble (ironic, isn't it, if anybody's a reader of the NES). We've gotten together twice so far (most of us, anyway, still haven't been able to get hold of our horn player and we still need a bassoon), and we're actually starting to sound pretty good. I think the objective is to play in the foyer before our band concerts to give the audience something to listen to while they're headed for their seats. Probably not likely we'll be going on tour anytime soon, but if that changes I'll let you know. biggrin

Cheers, y'all.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah! Gail is finally here! I've been waiting for you, chica.

Fan - an orange belt? What's an orange belt? My style doesn't have an orange belt that I know of. No, really, is it between yellow and green? Best of luck with your testing. Of course, luck doesn't have much to do with it when it comes to martial arts. It all comes down to practice.

Speaking of which, I haven't been able to do much recently. I wrenched my left wrist on the way home from Oregon. It wasn't getting any better so I gave in and went to a doctor yesterday. He sent me for an X-ray. Nothing is broken, cracked, or messed up on a bone level. The doc told me to get a special wrist brace that would hold it in a certain way (slightly bent back). I would do karate anyway, but twisting my lower arm is very painful. I suppose I could do just kicking. My class is cancelled this weekend anyway because of a Jewish holiday.

I got the offer letter from my new job last night. They also sent along a bunch of info about benefits. Wow! A pension plan and a 401K with matching up to 6% of your salary. I've never had matching on retirement stuff before. Never. This is amazing! Such a situation could actually inspire, dare I say it, loyalty. Anyway, I have a lot of paperwork to do over the weekend.

Bee, yes, I am really and truely coming to visit. My mother tried to get me to call you and give you a chance to bow out of this road trip we have planned. In other words, she wanted me to get tickets to and from Toronto and cancel the whole Erie section of the trip. I tried to explain that you really wanted to do this, but I don't think she believed me. Anyway, I am still coming. This is going to be a blast. And it sounds like you have had a good time the last few weekends too. Superb. I hope that our weekend/Monday roadtrip can live up. Actually, the chocolate at Rheo Thompson is worth a 4 hour drive all by itself, so any fun we have along the way will just be icing.

Well, folks, typing is starting to get to my wrist. I'd better sign off.

-Polly

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

I wonder if anyone else got these emails???

Subject:
    [OOOF3] Deleting this egroup
    Date:
    Wed, 25 Jul 2001 13:16:30 -0000
    [email protected]
    Reply-To:
    [email protected]
    To:
    [email protected]

I've gotten a letter saying they are deleting this due to
    inactivity....does anyone really care? I know we have never really
    used this, so it shouldn't make much of a difference. LOL

Subject:
    Re: [OOOF3] Deleting this egroup
    Date:
    Thu, 26 Jul 2001 00:06:12 -0700 (PDT)
    Nulla <[email protected]>
    Reply-To:
    [email protected]
    To:
    [email protected]

That's too bad, Gillan... it's a repository of a lot
    of memories and I know how much work you put into
    it...

But maybe Thomas Wolfe was right... you can't go home
    again!!! I have to confess that I haven't checked in
    there for quite some time.... I'd be sad to see it go;
    don't know how anyone else feels.....

I guess one can't blame the PTBs; they can use the
    space if it isn't used by us....

Nulla

Subject:
    Re: [OOOF3] Deleting this egroup
    Date:
    Thu, 26 Jul 2001 06:58:42 -0500
    Rosanne <[email protected]>
    Reply-To:
    [email protected]
    To:
    [email protected]
    References:

The ezboard site is not being deleted, just this email group. ~smile~

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[i]Joh, long time no see! Your birthday is coming up, isn't it? I didn't get those emails but then I quit the OOOF awhile ago.[i]

[b]Yep it is, in a couple days I hit the BIG 50 eek

I can never get this right mad

[This message has been edited by joh69 (edited July 28, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by joh69 (edited July 28, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Ow, Polly. Sorry about your wrist. I have a ganglion in my left wrist (and my right one, too) that I have to wear a wrist brace for occasionally.

Joh, long time no see! Your birthday is coming up, isn't it? I didn't get those emails but then I quit the OOOF awhile ago.

The orange belt is between yellow and purple. It means I'm still a clueless newbie, but now I have just enough training to take a bad situation and make it much worse. The testing was interesting; I was by far (probably 30 years) the oldest person testing. One kid was about my height and the rest were little. I felt like a tree in the middle of a field full of chipmunks. But I guess I did okay; I went kluto one time (the instructor said to counter a left punch and all I could think of was right punch or side punch stuff) but then he gave me a hint and I was able to think what to do. If there's a self-defense technique called "Deer in the Headlights" I've got it down.

Onward through the fog.

[This message has been edited by fanuilhgkar (edited July 28, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Polly,

Do you want me to call your mom and tell her how thrilled I am to have you come to visit me? I can tell her how much I like road trips, but the truth is that what we have planned is a tenth of what I would do to have you come visit, lil' sis.

It looks like the Buffalo Airport is a breeze to access. I haven't found the url for the Canadian Rail system but, truth be told, I haven't looked too hard yet.

Go ahead and mention chocolate... I saw a bumper sticker at Shore Leave that sums it up...
    <ul>Forget About Falling In Love
    I want to Fall In Chocolate![/list]

Now, if only we could talk some of the other folks in the area into a visit, we could have a mini gathering... Any takers?

Joh,

Gee, you mean there are people on this board who are older than me? wink

------------------

[This message has been edited by MightyLady77 (edited July 30, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bee,

Don't worry about it (convincing mom that you want me to visit). That is the cool thing about being a grown up. I get to decide for myself. So, I very nicely listen to what she has to say, disagree, and do what I want to do. We are going on a road trip!!!

The site for the trains is:
    www.viarail.ca

That is where you can find info on the location of the Niagra station. If I remember correctly, they have a cute little zoom in and zoom out function.

And there is still the issue of where I am going to take you for lunch when we arrive. I was thinking York Street Kitchen, but there might be other choices...Pazzo says they have the pizza in town (brick oven and all), Menrui is west coast style pan-Asian (whatever *that* means) or the Scarlett Gryffyn Restaurant & Pub (not really, but it has such a great name). Not everything will be open on Monday, but we will figure it out. Or, we can go right to Rheo Thompson and "fall in chocolate" quite easily.

I hope there will be time to show you around town at least a little. We'll have to look out for the time, but maybe just the roses in the Shakespeare garden, a few swans on the river, Elizagoth and Ten Thousand Villages (two totally awsome stores and with the Canadian dollar low Villages is the best place in the world for gifts).

And I am so looking forward to seeing Erie with you. I have almost no experience with smaller cities since I grew up in suburbia and went to school in the woods. Boston and New York are the cities I know best now, and they are not in the small city category.

And a mini-Gathering would be cool if anyone is close. Who is in your neck of the woods?

Inactive Member Sycamore Evenstar's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Gee, another missing post!!

Joh, I had always pictured you as 20-something! LOL!! Guess I was a little off!

Me got ganglion on left wrist--had it since the summer before 4th grade! These days it looks more like two side-by-side ganglia(?), since I tried the "text book" way of dealing with it several years ago.

Bee, Polly--WOW! Sounds like a fantastic trip you have planned!! Toronto? One of my 3 or 4 favorite cities!!

Well, I guess the Reno job is mine--after a little re-grouping time on their part. In the expansion, they will be hiring a new physician first then be ready for me just after the first of the year (if all goes as planned). I'll be turning down a rheumatology job in Tacoma--partly beacuse of the lower pay and much higher cost of living. Also, the job in Reno will allow me much more room to initiate some things in several areas. I'm really starting to get excited about it!

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast