Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello all. Not much going on here. The Sprout was just diagnosed with Fifth Disease - a pretty benign childhood disease - but I'd never heard od it. Fortunately she's past the infectious stageso she can go to pre-school. Also I went to a cool renfaire on Sunday and I'll be posting my pics from that in the next few days.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    <font face="georgia">Job searching...

Here I've been, whining about no one posting about things in general, and all I've done is re-post JMS blurbs. Pot, kettle...

4/15/2001. VP comes by and needs to talk in his office. Cool, so I thought. Not so cool later. I'm doing the work that can be handled by one other who's more knowledgeable with the equipment and the single customer (in China). Everything else is demo's and trials, which are handled pretty much by the field folks. No other customers, no need for me. Considering the situation, getting a months worth of severance with less than a year was pretty good.

Lots of job-shopping on the internet. Resume sent to a number of potential employers, but...wow, not even an email response that they got the request. Phone call to friends letting them know I'm looking, and I'm thinking about the past where in 3 weeks, boom! new job. Uh huh...not! But, they'll keep me in mind.

Went to a couple of seminars on getting a new job. I'm doing one thing right (networking) and one thing wrong (putting my resume on the internet). Polish the resume, re-write it for each job, make a cover letter, prepare a 10 second, 30 second, and 2 minute elevator speach (in case you just bump into someone who'll consider your job-seeking status riding in an elevator). Learn about talking to people who aren't hiring right now. Good stuff, really...

Got a call last week from a good friend of mine that used to work with me at the railroad. "You ever do A-V work?" Me:"Yeah, I ran the movie projector when I was in jr. high school...you mean teleconferencing?" "Yeah, smarta--, you want a job or not?" Why she didn't remember me running the teleconferencing network at the railroad I couldn't figure out, but since I was in no position to fuss about it, I begged her to get me lined up. Five conference rooms in five buildings in Emeryville (next city north of Oakland, CA.) that need to be monitored, scheduled, maintained and set up as needed. Cool!

So far, no start date as the paperwork is still being attended to. It has an interesting structure, at least for me. I'm contracting to a company that has another company pay me, and I report to still another company than manages the IT functions for the real customer. It's income, and much better than what unemployment pays.

So, for those of you wondering about my silence, that's the plan. It's nice to have something to work on again...just hope they don't take too much longer with the start date. Big companies don't move very fast, as I learned all too well with the railroad. But, life is good once again.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Glad to hear that things worked out Wizz. Hopefully this job will last a while longer then the last one. (hugs)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My Aunt was rushed into hospital yesterday. Apparently, it was a mild stroke. She really is not having the best of luck!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, Ian. Hope she recovers from all of this. Keep her spirits up, as it can get depressing when you end up with what she's been going through.

Cheers...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Wizz, congrats on the job! I hope it turns out to be something you really enjoy.

Ian, *hugs* I will keep her in my thoughts and you as well. Take care bud.

My update, well, Starbucks is wearing the hell out of me, so I was thinking about making a possible job change...when as luck would have it, some guy comes into the shop, uses a Target Credit Card, I ask him about it and it turns out he is a manager there and looking for department managers...

So I went to see him, he really wanted me, got me in for a interview quick and I have taken the job. It pays a bit more than Starbucks did and won't be so grueling physically. Great benefits, more days off, more regular schedule and every other weekend off! Woo Hoo! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Hopefully if I am not so darn worn out each night, I might start posting a bit more...

Hope everyone is well.

P.S. This Thursday is when I fly out to visit my dad and get to meet Elionwy. (hmmmpf! never could spell her nick! *grin*) I am looking very much forward to meeting her. I should start a webpage of all the wonderful people I have met.

Be well gang.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi, everyone.

Ian: So sorry to hear about your aunt. I hope she is feeling better soon.

Wizz - Good deal on the job. Sounds like it might be enough to fill in the time.

AsIs - Wow. I didn't even know you were working at a Starbucks. Congratulations on the Target job. So, you get some weekends off? You want to think about a trip to the New York Ren Fair? I've never been but I checked out their website (http://recfair.com/NY/index.htm) and it looks like a blast. Starts August 3rd and goes through the 15th of September.

As for me? I just signed up for my LLM class for next semester. Two evenings a week for the whole term. I am going to be one tired puppy.

My brother is moving to NJ this week. He is driving from Michigan and hopes to meet up with Bee on Tuesday night for dinner and get to my place Wednesday evening. Then we have to wait and find out when his furniture/clothes/kitchen will arrive. And I might have to be the one to supervise the movers because he has to work from the 5th to the 9th.

I am so glad I have my vacation to Canada coming up in 2 1/2 weeks. I need some time to just clear my mind of organizing stuff. I feel all organized out. Maybe it is the weather. Hot and disgusting. But I cleaned a lot of the apartment yesterday. I don't like to ask my brother to sleep on the floor unless it has been mopped recently. And his guinea pig has to stay with me until he gets an air conditioner installed in at least one room of his new apartment.

My wrist is all better as far as I can tell. One steroid shot at the orthopedist (for tendonitis) and a week later I was essentially cured. I might actually start to trust doctors at this rate.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Asis, say hello to Eilonwy for me too. I hope she's doing okay. I'ts been a while......

Speaking of renfaires, I went to the Maine Faire a week and a half ago. Then when I went to put my pics up, I found that my Tripod reduced my webspace from 50Mb to 20MB (and then had the gall to tell me I was over my limit when I logged in). Not happy about that. Anybody got any good suggestions for server space?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

AsIs congrads on your job change I know how much of a pain it was for you at Starbucks!

CT and I just got back from Vacation. We went to Put-In-Bay, South Bass Island. (That’s one of the Islands in Lake Erie) We wanted to go to Vegas but didn’t have enough money for flying, gambling and shopping! Then hit Cedar Point amusement park on the way home. Still have a few days of vacation left but out of money LOL!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Sorry you didn't get to go to Vegas. [img]frown.gif[/img]

Hey, if we plan it out in advance, maybe I can scrape up enough money to do it with you gals next year. I am always up for Vegas.

Glad you did have fun on your trip. I can relate to that not have money thing! *hugs*