Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It makes me feel old to admit it, but I read Ender's Game when it was serialized in Analog in the very late 70s or very early 80s. I read Speaker for the Dead at some later date, and listened to one of the other titles on tape a few years back.

The quality of Card's writing is superb. I loved the books, but, for some reason I've never figured out, I didn't connect with the characters on a gut level. I guess I would read them over again if I had them around the house; they are that good.

Just my 2? worth.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have just read four of the 7 books in the Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card. I was wondering if other people here had read them and if so what you thought?

What I have read: Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Ender's Shadow, and The Shadow of the Hegemon

If you have not read these books I would strongly recommend you pick them up. They are very, very good. Very thought provoking.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I can see how it would be difficult to connect with the characters. The experiences that the kids have at the Battle School are so foreign to anything I have every experienced there is no way for me to connect to them.

I would say that I spent more time worrying about how all of this would affect the rest of their lives. I wanted to know what happened when they returned home (check out The Shadow of the Hegemon for part of that story). I was more concerned for the children then anything else.

Speaker for the Dead effected me in a different way. It posed many more philisophical questions and caused me to think about how I related to other people and what I really knew about them.

I think what I liked about these boks is that they are Science Fiction but the focus is more on the human experiences and reactions then it is the science. I guess it reminds me of Babylon 5. The empahsis was on decisions, consequences, and taking responsibility for those decisions.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was asked to post the book titles and what order they should be read in by a few folks. The titles are really easy, the order to read in is a bit more difficult. Here is the order I would suggest.

Ender's Game
    Ender's Shadow
    Shadow of the Hegemon
    Speaker for the Dead
    Xenocide
    Children of the Mind

A new book was just published, Shadow Puppets. I have not read it yet. (it came out in August and is only available in Hardcover.) Reading the reviews, I would ut it after Shadow of the Hegemon.

Some people might tell you this order is a bit weird. Here is my logic. Ender's Game follows a group of very bright children. Ender's Shadow and Shadow of the Hegemon follow some of the children we are introduced to in Ender's Game immediatly following Ender's Game. Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind all follow the character of Ender at a time in the future. I won't say when but I will say it is after he has grown up.

The normal grouping is Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind, Ender's Shadow, and Shadow of the Hegemon.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

Well, I finally decided I have to read the whole series. I just bought Ender's Game last week.

I'm going to start reading it soon. Really, I will. I just have to finish the copy of The Stars My Destination, by Alfred Bester, that I found in one of my boxes of books. (Their name is Legion, for they are many.)

I look forward to more discussion when I get the first book read. When I bought the book, the sales clerk said that Card had fleshed out the story from the original novelette published in Analog back in the '70s.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There is some mention ,out on the Speculativevision board, about an Enders Game movie coming out. Anyone know about this?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No idea, but I would be disappointed if they did. Ender is a 6 year old at the begining of the book. The oldest kid at the Battle School is 13. My guess is that there are not enough kids that look 6 who could pull off the role fo Ender, never mind the other Launchies.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I've listened to the first half of Ender's Game. I love this book! Er, tape...

On the tape version they have different people doing the narratives, it makes it a fun listen. Is anyone still reading these? Sorry I am doing it so late, but I am finally on my way to listening to them. Long trips are great for that!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I've finished Ender's Game, now I'm in the middle of Speaker for the Dead.

Listening to them on tape has been interesting. They have many narrators and each brings a different personality to it. They use them to highlight characters I think, so you get used to the rythems they use. I love Speaker for the Dead.

Ender's Game was great as well, but I like Speaker for the Dead more I think.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LOL I don't think any one started reading them. I have read them all and ma waiting for the next bok to come out in paper back.

Glad you are enjoying it. It is an interesting story. Where are you in it?