Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

*sigh* Reagan had the bad luck to die during the political season. I don't think that there would have been this much attention focused on his death, a lot yes, but not this much, were it not for the politics of this political race.

I honestly feel like breathing is becoming politizied these days and that is sad. I think a truer measure of respect is that they actually waited two days to start anything negative about him.

Reagon was the brightest star that the Republicans have had during my lifetime. It is natural to use him on the campaign trail, but that opens up the opposing side. Funeral or not.

I truly do hope he is at peace now. And that it leaves his family to remember him during better times.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree with PC and Asis.

Reagan was a great Patriot and a very effective leader, and I believe more honest than most politicians (the "I don't remembers" were probably true, I don't think he was in control of his mind, much, if any of his second term). You may not agree with his policies or the results of those policies, but you can't deny he honestly tried his best and served his country. And he did put the final nail in end of the Cold War, without firing a shot. He had a plan, and he knew how to get people on board. If only more politicians, whose policies I favor could take a page out of his book.

On another board, I've observed him being trashed mercilessly, and I think it's wrong, if they felt that strongly, why weren't they saying these things Friday.

Out of respect for his family, and for those who appreciate his accomplishments, I think the right thing to do is not to air his dirty laundry during this week. Let the mourning occur, let the body be interred, and then bring up your "issues" with the man next week, if you feel the need.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When President Nixon died there was as much hoopla, except it was all located in California. Every President receives a state funeral. As soon as they leave office, they start to develop their funeral plans (depressing I know) so that if anything should happen, they are buried per their requests. According to the Washington Post, President Clinton is the only surviving PResident to not have finalized his funeral plans. I am guessing that is because his library is not yet completed.

One of the things that I found interesting when Presidents Reagan's body was moved to the Capital building was how it felt like a parade. The music, at least for the first mile was patriotic (America the Beautiful and God Bless America). There was not a funeral dirge (sp) like I expected. President Reagan choose the music to be played by the bands.

Preident Kennedy, President Johnson, and President Eisenhower all rode the same route to the Congress, with the same honor gaurds, and the same bands. They all lay in state in the capital building and had their state funerals somewhere in DC. Not sure where because National Cathedral was not completed until recently.

There were people standing next to me who told me about all three of the above funerals. It was interesting to hear how the tones of each funeral was different.

I do not believe that this is all that politicized. At least, not any more then the death of any President is going to be politicized. The only difference I have noticed is that some of the more political issues have dropped off the radar out of respect to President Reagan. I have not seen any political ads on TV and I know Senator Kerry said on Saturday that he would not campaign until after the funeral.

The difference between Nixon and Reagan is that Nixon left office in disgrace and Reagan left office with the Republicans wishing they hadn't rammed through a Constitutional Amendemnt limiting the President to two terms in office after FDR. I think that is why there is a difference in how the public and the media is reacting.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Asis,

I sent you a PM on Monday, and haven't heard from you, and finally got the opportunity to leave a voicemail on the Comic Fusion Phone line (Sorry it took so long, crazy week). So, if you can send me an email with payment info for Paypal, I can submit an E-Check for the JMS Book.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Sindutar, I will get that off to you in just a bit. Thanks for both. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Crash, I think all the arrangements etc. are just as you say they are. The info about the other funerals is cool. Sounds althougth sad, you had a great experience.

But I still stand by my statement that much of this is politized. Not anything President Reagon set up, nothing that Nancy or the family is doing. But in speechs that have followed his death, Cheney and others are using his memory for political gains. I'm not saying thier statements are not heartfelt, but the venues in which they have been made, make them political. And I don't think it has been a accident to include those statements.

Right now Bush's popularity is at a low point. Yes, I know he is still leading Kerry, but his numbers are dangerously low and threaten to sink with each new developement in Iraq. Invoking a beloved leader, one I think Bush attempts to mimic at times, feels to me at least like a, "See, I'm just like him, vote me in!" kind of appeal.

That in turn, has brought about the, "Hey, everything he did wasn't great!" attacks from the left.

So outside the arrangements of the funeral, yes, I think Reagon's death is being politized. I think in any World Leaders death their is a bit of whitewashing. Glorification of a record while leaving out the less then steller elements of said record. Kennedy is a prime example of that. I think that there would have been less questioning of Reagon's record if there was not a race for President currently going on.

For what is worth, that is just my assessment.

P.S. Very bummed about Ray Charles passing. He is a icon from my childhood and seemed like one cool guy. The music in heaven just got a upgrade.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I got some catching up to do with you folks, and micky mouse is saying it's 1:00 AM, so I'll hit this later today 4

Starting work again Monday...I'll say that much.

<font size="+4"><center> YES!!</center></font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Congrats Wizz. That is great news.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Congratulations Wizz, that's great to hear. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi all. Just wanted to share this. I think you might need to copy the link into your browser to make it work. Isn't she cute?

http://rantarn.tripod.com/misc/p6060085.jpg

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

And congrats Wizz!