Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am about 1 mile from the orange line. Orange and Blue tend to have a large number of stops, so you are in pretty good shape. You can live in the DC area itself but that is going to be pretty expensive. I am in Arlington and I pay $1140 for a one bedroom apartment. There is not a gym in the building but the Curves is 1/2 a mile from my place. (shrugs) If you were to live in the Ballston, Cherrydale, Rosslyn, or Clarendon sections of Arlington (they name the neighborhoods) you would probably have about a 20 minute commute to work. The Orange and Blue lines will allow you to live in Maryland or Virginia.

I would call a real estate agent or use some of the online apartment search engines.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

WooHoo, Polly!!! Congratulations!

Wizz, I am glad that it worked out for you. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Thank you all for the suggestions and comments about my job problem. As it turns out there was a registration miscalculation so the numbers were 15 less than I'd been told. Of the remaining 85 registered people we get at most 50, so the chairs and supplies have been adequate.

I'd like to be paid a proportional amount for the number of students, but I am paid per student for the pay classes (the chair exercise is free to the students and I get a fixed pay), so I am not unhappy with what I am making overall.

Excellent suggestion about the name, btw, using my name in the title of the class will tell people that they are getting what I researched and designed. I am going to implement this idea and not worry further about the name being used for some other class.

Thank you!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Glad someone around finally has some good news Pollymath [img]smile.gif[/img]

Things have been bad for everyone I know in the UK lately, me included (nearly lost a finger at work when a window shattered, and my car has packed up twice this month!).

Nice to finally here some good news [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pllymath,

Email me if you need a hand when you get to DC or while you are looking.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<center>TheGreatDebate2
    The Great Debate</center>
    <center>6248PollyMath med?8530
    Heading for D.C.!</center>
    <center>6248IanAndTheBostonian med?8264
    Ian and The Bostonian</center>
    <center>6248Group1999 med?4632
    Guess who finally started unpacking the boxes that had the pictures?</center><font size="+3"">

<center>Happy New Year</center></font>

To all of you...
    Ray

<font face="Wingdings">

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 23, 2005 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Wizz ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Happy New Year!

Thanks for the pictures Ray. Brings back good memmories.

*hugs*

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Ray, my best ever holiday memories [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Gives me some happy thoughts [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Crash (or do you prefer Prof, for short),

Thanks for the offer. I just might give a yell. I have actually rented an apartment. No, I haven't seen it. A college friend recommended two complexes near the Twinbrook Metro station in Rockville, Maryland and I took a place in one of them. I'm going to have access to the place as of January 15th and I have to be out of my place by the 24th.

Renting an apartment without having seen the neighborhood, the complex, or the actual apartment drove me a little crazy. I hate it, but I honestly didn't have the time to come down to DC and just look in a bunch of different neighborhoods in Maryland, the District and Virginia. Once it became obvious that I couldn't do that, it was just as easy to take the word of a friend. I saw the layout of the apartment in a PDF file. I spoke to the police department on the phone about the safety of the neighborhood. The complex has great amenities - laundry in the apartment, free gym for the tenants in the building, one parking space included in the rent, and three block walk to the train which is about 30 minutes to downtown DC - just about everything I wanted. Also, it is very near basic shopping including a Whole Foods for groceries. And since the parking space is included, it is more than $300 per month cheaper than I am paying now. If I hate it, it is only for one year - I'll deal with it.

And, why did I not have time to come down to look for an apartment? Because I decided I had to go to Vermont to spend time with my uncle and his partner and their kids. I flew up on Christmas day and stayed for 4 days. I had never really gotten to know the "baby" before now. Charlie is actually almost three and quite a character. His favorite game (that he can actually play) is called tackle. It involves an adult sitting on the floor and he runs over to you and tackles you all the way down. Repeat. Over and over and over again. He also likes to chuck nerf balls at your head (astonishingly accurate), and to fall down on the same ball that is rolled to him on the ground as if he were stopping a hockey puck. He loves hockey (to watch). He also loves swimming. And he is tall for his age with comparatively short legs - just like Michael Phelps. This kid is going to be an athlete. My uncle and his partner are in for a very interesting time with him.

The older boys, Joe and Jacob, are also doing fine. Joe read a story to ME, and I'm pretty sure that he was actually reading parts of it though he did have most of it memorized. It was that old Sesame Street classic - There Is A Monster At The End of This Book. Jacob is 5 and just starting to get into drawing things that look like what they represent. He made me show him how to draw bales of hay - then he covered them in red and orange so they were on fire. Ah, to be 5 again! We also took the older boys sledding one day. Their favorite part? When they crashed, of course.

Anyway, I have my last exam on Friday (should have been Wednesday, but I got them to shift it since all the stuff I thought I would be able to do after I took it, turned out to have to be done before I took it. Anyway, I must get off now. I promised the person who wants to take over my lease that he could come and use my printer to photocopy his identification for his lease application. Just two weeks of overlap on the leases. That is great too. Stress level is high, but I think I am going to make it. At least the security background check form is finished and mailed.

Best to all,

Polly

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Sounds like you had a great time Polly!

Good luck with the move.

*hugs*

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Wizz, nest time can you reverse the image, from this angle I'm on the left.