Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you become a fan of Cherie?

Inactive Member lady-of-glenmore's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I don't know if the topic has started also somewhere in the past, but I would like to hear from you how it all started... [img]graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]

I was an 11 year old girl when a girlfriend of mine had a poster of The Runaways on the wall.
    It was 1977, it was a huge black and white poster and she just asked me "Which girl do you like most?" - well, I never heard of them before but I liked the cool look. [img]cool.gif[/img]

My decision was between Cherie and Joan, but I choosed Joan (she looked even tougher;-))

After I took Joan as my role model I bought Queens of noise and the first album and I was a fan!

Never before girls have done I would have loved to do, and the little guitar lessons I had ,made me feel like an idiot.
    Y'know, they wanted me to play "Lady in black" and all this rubbish, so I quit and never played again!

I spent all my money on Runaways stuff and my collectons grew from day to day.

This was how it all started! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Ute

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This may sound strange, But I don't usually listen to popular music. I always figured why buy Lp's (Ok, I'm Old) by someone that gets played on the radio every hour or so. I tried to search out new music (didn't mean for my preamble to become so long).
    I was working second shift in suburban Chicago in the late 70's. As I left work one night (about 1:00am) I was listening to WLUP-FM and heard "Cherry Bomb". The DJ, as usual did not announce the artist, So I decided to drive downtown and stop at the studio. When I buzzed in the DJ came out and spoke with me and said that It was a band called the Runaways, I said I liked them and he offered me the Lp because they "did not fit in the playlist". After hearing the rest of the Lp I was hooked and have been a fan ever since.
    I feel lucky to have had the chance to meet 4/5's of the Fab Five (I have seen Joan a couple times but have not got to met and add her autograph to my wall of Fame...Yet!)

rogER

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Roger,
    i will be seeing Joan New Years eve and will spend a couple of days with Joan and Kenny.
    I know it's not the same as meeting her but if you want, I'll have her sign something for your wall (or you can send me something to sign).
    You'll meet her someday, I know but what do you think?
    xx

SCHEMESofNEON

I became a "crazed" fan after I bought a copy of CREEM magizine- they had an add for The Runaways debut album right smack on the first page! All i saw was 5 teen girls starring back at me looking tough as can be-
    [img]cool.gif[/img]
    Bought the album and was HOOKED! I had ALL the albums, posters, clippings you name it ....
    After , there break-up I followed Lit's and Joan's solo efforts.....Joan being my Favorite,
    during this time, her music ROCKS........
    Over the years , I lost touch with the fab 5, unti a year ago I stumbled upon Cherie's web site
    and well, the rest is history!
    [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Am HOOKED again!!!

Inactive Member The Canadian Wolverine's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

For me it was the movie foxes that I had my
    crush [img]redface.gif[/img] on Cherie I was only 14 but It was
    Metal years I loved Joan Jett and the Black
    Hearts I also listened to Lita Ford however
    I did not make the Runaway connection till
    years after [img]confused.gif[/img] I do remember seeing
    Black Sabbath in 84 or 85 it was in Rockford
    I could be wrong, Cherie could probably answer
    I swear I ran into Lita did she not date Tony
    Iommi from Sabbath I thought I had read it in
    Circus. I da know Any how it was Cherie that
    stuck in my mind It must of been her out fit
    she wore in that movie to the Angels concert
    by the way was that a Band for the movie or
    did they actually make records?????

Anyway Cheers C.W. and am avid runaways
    fan

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Busy playing in my own band at the time, I totally missed The Runaways back in the day. Little did I know what I was missing!

Having always been a Jodie Foster fan I decided to rent some of her movies when I got my first VCR in 83. I guess you could say Cherie stole the show when I watched FOXES!
    I was an instant fan, and started trying to find out all I could about this wonderful actress.
    You can imagine my delight when I found out she had been in this really cool band with Joan Jett called The Runaways!

I found all The Runaways albums and Cherie's solo albums through the GOLDMINE collectors magazine.
    Finally in 2001 I got online and immediately started searching the web for Cherie stuff.

For a dude with a bad case of the CC Fever, finding this message board was just what the doctor ordered!

I am now a very happy CCamper, 4 sure!!!
    [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
    Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Hey CW,
    ANGEL was a real band (formed in 1975) and designed to be the dressed-in-white counterpart of labelmate KISS but they never were blessed with comparable sales figures. After four albums they were last heard from in FOXES in 1979!
    [img]graemlins/beer.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
    Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Hey there
    I remember I was like 10 years old, my sis was into Suzi Quatro, and I saw The Runaways picture on the back of a compilation album, I think it was called Ripper 76, I still have the copy. It had cherry bomb, and I played it religiously.
    I then thought of them in the same vein as kiss, and from that day became one of my all time fave bands. I never got to see the runaways live, but i collected everything they did, right down to every magazine article, poster, picture, i followed all their careers , as a band, and seperate careers. The day my grandpa died, the last time I saw him, I remember vividly walking past a record shop and buying Live In Japan, I played it for six months straight, and somehow helped me through the pain. The childhood memories I have of the Runaways are strong, and something I will never forget, I have nothing but fond memories. I have seen Lita and Joan when they toured oz , and better than anything in this world is the freindship I have carved with Cherie over the years. Cherie has been a major influence and guiding light in my life, and her book touched me more than anything ever has. Her incredible story made me feel as If I knew her, felt for her, and more than anything believe in her. I am happy to call her a freind and will always want the best for her, she is the best rock n roll singer and performer that has ever lived, and more than that , she is the sweetest, most down to earth person you will ever meet, I am blessed to call her a freind.
    Love you cherie
    hugs and kisses
    dean
    xoxo

4Jettheads

Cherie Bomb ! You rascal. I had a hunch you and Joan were gonna get together on New Years. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!! Wish I could be there with ya.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[img]graemlins/angel.gif[/img] Cherie, thank you for your kind offer. [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] I would be proud to finaly have autographs of all 5 original Runaways on my wall [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

rOgeR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast