Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Music quotes. Are you up to the challenge?

Inactive Member imported_Al_Bundy's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yer getting there Gus. It was Arthur Alexander, but definitely not Goodbye Girl. Actually, I didn't even know there was a sitcom called Goodbye Girl. Anyway, give it another try. Or would you like a clue?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

I'll take a clue but the best I'll be able to do is another wild guess.
    I am not up on any post-seinfeld sitcoms at all!
    [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]
    GD

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok, a clue it is, how should I put this, it was a certain characters favorite song that he couldn't remember the name of. Launching him on a quest to solve the mystery. Get the series and I'll allow you to google the episode title. I didn't even know the titles of any of the episodes until I did some googling awhile back.

Incidently, it was this same episode that reminded me of this same song. I hadn't heard it in many, many years.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok, after a good start this has slowed down, time for some clues to these.

1) Recorded by a veteran retired talk show host very early in his career, about those hard shelled things found in warm climate areas. Most people probably don't, but he thought they were "lovely".

3) A singer who thinks he's "got something to say" in an 80's hit song about not have any of what others have.

5) Arguablly the record that started rock and roll, recorded in the same studio elvis recorded in a couple years later. First recording to use a "fuzzy" guitar.

6) A recording in the early 70's by a certain member from a certain 60's beatles clone band.

7) A 60's uk duo, about an old time hero rescuing a damsel in distress

10) A recent (last few years) recording by one of the last surviving members of a legendary 60's group.

There, that should help solve these.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just saw a special on Merv Griffin and he talked about an early recording I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts

#5 I think this song is Rockett 88, Its been covered by so many. I think Ike Turner & the rhytme Kings did it first, but I think you are going for a bit more rare version. In the back of my head I think Bill Haley & comets recorded at Sun. But I'm not sure about the fuzzy guitar

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's 2 more down, you got them Ella. It was indeed Merv's I've Got A Lovely Bunch of Coconuts and Ike Turners Rocket 88. You all might find this history about Rocket 88 interesting.

"Rocket 88" , is also a rhythm and blues song from 1951 claimed by pioneer rock and roll record producer and Sun Records owner Sam Phillips as " the first rock and roll song". The record was credited to Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats, but the band did not actually exist. The song was written by Ike Turner and recorded by him with his band, the Kings of Rhythm. Brenston was a saxophonist with Turner and also sang the vocal on "Rocket 88", a hymn of praise to the joys of the Oldsmobile Rocket 88. Working from the raw material of jump blues and swing combo music, Turner made it even rawer, with a strong back beat and Brenston's enthusiastic vocals and tenor saxophone solos. The song also features one of the first examples of distorted, or fuzz guitar ever recorded. Reportedly, a speaker was damaged on Highway 61 when the band was driving from Mississippi to Memphis but Phillips liked the sound and used it. "Rocket 88" is the prototype for hundreds of other rock and roll records in style, not to mention its lyrics in which an automobile serves as a metaphor for romantic prowess. The claim that "Rocket 88" was the first rock and roll record is perhaps overstated, but one undisputed fact is that it was the second-biggest rhythm and blues single of 1951.

Also, Rocket 88 was written enroute to the recording studio.

Two more down, 4 to go.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Except for the Runaways, these aren't my kind of songs. Good job to those who are working on it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok, these seem to have y'all stumped. I thought for sure, especially with the clues at least 3 and 10 would have been solved. So I'll give a couple more clues for these two.

3) Recorded by a certain scottish male singer, recently divorced after a several year seperation from his model ex-wife. This was one of his hits from about 1984.

10) One of the last two living members of a sixties group with a name that sounds like it was named after an insect. As for the song title (hint >)"think"(<part of the title) if he does this, he will do something that he and and the group always did.

As for 6 and 7 I think these might be too obscure, so I'll just give them away.

6) This song was released about 1971, by one of the still popular 1960's groups that had hits like Last Train To Clarksville, Little Bit Me and a Little Bit You. That should give you the group. The artist of the song in question was recorded by the tall member of the group who wore the touque. Michael Nesmith, and the song was Joanne.

7) British duo had several hits in the sixties, including "A World Without Love", and "Lady Godiva". Still don't know who the duo is? I'll just tell you, Peter & Gordon, and the song was Knight In Rusty Armour.

There, that covers the lot of these.

If I do these song quotes again I'll be sure to use songs that are a bit better known, hopefully not so obscure. You will have to excuse me though, I am a wee bit older than Cherie, so my music listening, and music taste goes back quite a ways, and covers quite a few, what's the term, genres? Rock and roll, R&B, counrty, Folk, etc., etc., through to some of the current artists. Just, The Glorious Results Of A Misspent Youth.

Gus, as for the Song "Anna", I'll end the suspence, it drove Al, to obsession trying to find the title of this song he heard on the radio, but never caught the name of. Yes, Married With Children, and the episode was "Oldies but Young'Uns" from the fifth season.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, it looks like everyone has lost interest in this so...
    4 is Rod Stewart - Some Guys Have All The Luck
    10 is Ringo Starr - I Think Therefore I Rock n Roll

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12