Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I admire the project of the charity and beyond the fact that I like or didn't like any of the performers I saw the problem here is that the money often ends up in the hands of the rich people of the poor countries,instead of the hands of the poor people. I think that much more could be done in Africa and other poor countries to create there the condition to let people work, to farm, to grow little indipendent economies, but that'll never happen as long as western governments keep controlling and predating the thrird world. I wish a huge concert could help but it's the economic system that has to change, the rest is only illusion especially for african people.

Cristina

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In fact I said I admire the project, I hope it will help these countries, it'd be grand if thies national debt could be erased. But, economically speaking, their debt can't be erased, it can be displaced, changed, transformed. But what's this debt? Whose is it?
    I don't know if african have ever seen the money that's been raised, that money goes mostly to the cooperation to the development, now begun development of the cooperation. That money goes to maintain offices, planes, seminar courses, hotels, etc. Only 10% of the money goes actually to help the people.
    We hear people talk about globalization and free market, fair trade, but what free market, if the market was really free europeans and americans would be bankrupt by now... It's thanks to customs duties that our economies stand still. Every year underdevelopment countries lose 20 billions of ? (that's about the same in US $)= they can't afford exportating more because of the high taxes that developed countries ask them. Every year developed countries give 50 billions of euros to underdevelopment countries to help the development. But if only those countries could increase their export of just the 5% they would earn 350 billions of ? that is 7 times what we send them for the development. The funny and tragic thing of all this is that we call these countries underdevelopment but it's us that stop their development.

Cristina

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The Pink Floyd reunion was great.
    They played 4 songs: Breathe, Money, Wish You Were Here and Comfortably Numb.
    I hope this wasn?t the last time they play together
    KLH

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Oh yeah, I saw the Floyd reunion! It was great!
    Flawless renditions of those four classics!

I'm with you KLH! MORE PINK FLOYD!!!

[img]graemlins/music.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/star.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
    Gus

Inactive Member The Canadian Wolverine's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pink Floyd were awsome it made my concert
    memories Great Great [img]graemlins/martini.gif[/img]

Cheers all CW

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

When Bob Geldof spoke that day he showed a picture of a, deathly ill, little two year old girl who would have died if it hadn't been for LIVE AID, 20 years prior.
    As he invited the 22 year old college educated and vibrant young lady, who WAS that child, onto the stage, he implored the audience to not believe what THEY tell you.
    It DID help then and WILL help now!

I have so much respect for that Boomtown Rat!
    I know what you are saying though Cristina and it's sad that we can't eradicate poverty in this world because of greed!

Gus

<font color="#007FFF" size="1">[ July 04, 2005 12:55 PM: Message edited by: gus danger ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Did anyone catch the Pink Floyd reunion?
    I saw a snippet and thought it was hot.
    Anyone else?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

It was cool seeing The Who also! Only Pete and Roger but it was still cool!
    What struck me at first was that Roger Daltry was wearing glasses. I know, we are all getting older but on stage?!?! Then, as he began to "perform" it dawned on me....oh yeah....the way he plays with that microphone, swinging it all over and then catching it, it was a good thing he was wearing the glasses!
    I heard once that Pete was ready to kick some Daltry dairyaire when he was clobbered by that flying object!
    Dare I say it. He nearly showed him WHO'S WHO in the clobbering department! LOL!

Later,
    [img]graemlins/music.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/guy.gif[/img]
    Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When the Tsumnami event played here, the bands took 80% of the door. Live 8 gives more than that, but don't be fooled. The performers get paid. They choose wether or not to donate their money, but I can tell you not many of them do it for free, or cheap.
    We have a very difficult time getting people to play for our cause because we can't pay big bands to play. In 4 years we've only had one big performer that did donate their time, but it cost us close to a thousand in expenses to get this person. We really couldn't afford it. Our cause effects almost as many people as the health and poverty issues of Africa, but it's all about money when it comes to "benifit"/ "charity" shows.
    I admire the **** out of Bob Geldof, I think he is a wonderful man, and I think about half of all the performers are genuine, but Snoop would never play for free, or even cheap. (That's just an example).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Maybe paying the artists, so they can donate the money in their own name, has some mutual benefit.
    I'd like to see a breakdown of who took the money and ran though, after presenting themselves as caring human beings before the entire world.

I don't know Snoop Dogg from Adam, but I can't imagine most of those artists risking the news of their greed getting out!

I'm sorry to hear about that fiasco around the Tsunami Event Ravensong.
    I hate seeing greed and suffering in the same mental image! [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Imagine all the people sharing all the world!
    //oo\\
    GD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast