Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MISSISSAUGA, Ont. -- Denny Doherty, one-quarter of the 1960s folk-rock group the Mamas and the Papas, known for their soaring harmony on hits like "California Dreamin'" and "Monday, Monday," died Friday at 66.

His sister Frances Arnold said the singer-songwriter died at his home in Mississauga, a city just west of Toronto, after a short illness.

"What made the group special was their haunting and sumptuous harmony singing," according to "The Rolling Stone Illustrated History of Rock & Roll."

In 1998, the Mamas and the Papas were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The group's catchy sound was a blend of '60s upbeat pop and the folk music that had surged in popularity early in the decade. The song "Creeque Alley" told the story of their formation amid the musical ferment of the folk scene; among the other stars-to-be mentioned in its lyrics were members of the Lovin' Spoonful and the Byrds.

But the group's heyday was brief and it disbanded in 1968 following John and Michelle Phillips' divorce. The members re-formed in 1971 for the album "People Like Us," but all hope for a reunion ended in 1974 when the 30-year-old Elliot choked and suffered a fatal heart attack while eating a sandwich in London.

Phillips briefly re-formed the group in 1982 with Doherty, Phillips' actress daughter, Mackenzie, and Elaine "Spanky" McFarlane.
    The foursome toured playing oldies and new Phillips originals.

In 2003, Doherty was co-author and performer in an off-Broadway show called "Dream a Little Dream: The Mamas and the Papas Musical," which traced the band's early years, its dizzying fame and breakup.

"There's a part of this thing that if I'm not careful, I'd be just a blob on the stage crying my guts out," Doherty told The Associated Press at the time. "Everybody knows about death and dying and sadness, so it's an exercise in staying in the moment and not getting maudlin about your friends dying."

John Phillips died in 2001 at 65.

The Halifax-born Doherty started his music career in Montreal in 1960 as the co-founder of the Colonials, which later became the Halifax Three.

Doherty made a solo album in 1974 and achieved a bit of immortality by both playing the Harbormaster and voicing all the characters for the children's TV series "Theodore Tugboat."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

1228673 phillips300afp

Only Mama Michelle remains from one of my all time favorite groups.
    Rest in peace Denny and thanks for the memories!
    [img]graemlins/music.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/guy.gif[/img]
    Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have to agree Gus, The Mamas & the Pappas were one of my favorite groups too. I love the harmonies they created and the lyrics just flowed.
    I remember watching them on the Ed Sullivan show with my parents, My mom liked them , but my step dad hated them hippie singers [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
    We've come a long way, eh?

Inactive Member SouthwestRanger's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

I wonder how it hit Michelle Phillips when she realised she was THE ONLY LIVING MEMBER LEFT out of The Mamas & Papas ?

Jack&ampPhillips

I grew up with their music because one of my babysitters used to play their LP's (REMEMBER THOSE ?)on my Parents Stereo along with Tommy & Steppenwolf...

Rest east Denny, I'm sure your jamming with James Brown, Sandy, and the rest in RocK & Roll Heaven !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by SouthwestRanger:

Jack&ampPhillips

I grew up with their music because one of my babysitters used to play their LP's (REMEMBER THOSE ?)on my Parents Stereo along with Tommy & Steppenwolf...

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Remember what SR,,,,,,LP's,HiFi's, or Babysitters!? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Gregg

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

I wonder how Mama Jill is doing?
    Ms&ampPs66SummerWithJillCropped

[img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img]
    GD

Inactive Member SouthwestRanger's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by wing nut:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by SouthwestRanger:

Jack&ampPhillips

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Remember what SR,,,,,,LP's,HiFi's, or Babysitters!? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Gregg
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">All Three !!! [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Mama Cass Elliot also appeared in a Scooby Doo Mysteries Cartoon entitled THE HAUNTED CANDY FACTORY in which Cass, Shaggy and Scooby try to unlock who's been haunting a factory she inherited ! [img]wink.gif[/img]