Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't have much I live in a small New England town Newtown CT.
    I have heard...

1)Scrabble orginated here.

2) This was a Torey base during the revolution

3) The murder where the exec put his wife in the woodchipper happened here.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

- London, UK -

Famous untrue myths:

1) C.R.A.P FOOD
    2) FISH AND CHIPS
    3) VAMPIRES IN HIGHGATE CEMETRY

Real reason for NOW being famous:

1) MOST EXPENSIVE CITY IN THE WORLD
    2) TOP QUALITY EXPENSIVE RESTAURANTS AND BRASSERIES
    3) CELEBRITY CHEFS
    4) TUBE
    5) EXPENSIVE UNRELIABLE TUBE
    6) LONDON LANDMARKS INCLUDING lONDON EYE, MILLENIUM BRIDGE, TOWER OF LONDON, CAMDEN MARKET etc
    7) GATROPUBS
    8) SAFER NOTTING HILL CARNIVAL
    9) MUSIC SCENE
    10)HIGH INTEREST RATE PROPERTY MARKET

Rumours place vampires still haunting Highgate Cemetry and Fish & Chips is almost a posh dish....

Lory
    [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Lory,

I've been in London a fair few times and it is a pretty cool place. I was last there in October and in a few short days saw Spamalot, Wicked, A Voyage Round My Father with the brillian Derek Jakobi, and the New York Dolls with Glen Matlock's new band supporting alongside the Towers of London. Not too sure about the latter - they seemed like a heavy metal-by-numbers boy band to me. We also saw George Foreman in Trafalgar Square, Nigel Kennedy on the Tube, and Jonathon Ross in Forbidden Planet. There's not many places where you can have such a mixed-variety of experiences like that.

I'm from Glasgow (though currently living in Aberdeen), which has a reputation for being full of nutters and religious bigotry, but it's also the place where the British Labour movement was kick-started (with tanks in George Square), and where some great ships were built - including (I think - I shoud really check my facts) the Queen Mary which I believe is now docked in California. We also gave the world Donovan and Lulu. Do any of those on the other side of the Atlantic remember Donovan and Lulu? Douglas Coupland mentions the fiesty wee songstress in his latest novel, Jpods.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My town is famous for being the hometown of Jerry Sloan, The Coach of the Utah Jazz. I think he recently became one of the four coaches to win over 1,000 games.

Oh yea its famous coz I live here too [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

Originally posted by raintown boy:
    Hey Lory,

I've been in London a fair few times and it is a pretty cool place. I was last there in October and in a few short days saw Spamalot, Wicked, A Voyage Round My Father with the brillian Derek Jakobi, and the New York Dolls with Glen Matlock's new band supporting alongside the Towers of London. Not too sure about the latter - they seemed like a heavy metal-by-numbers boy band to me. We also saw George Foreman in Trafalgar Square, Nigel Kennedy on the Tube, and Jonathon Ross in Forbidden Planet. There's not many places where you can have such a mixed-variety of experiences like that.

I'm from Glasgow (though currently living in Aberdeen), which has a reputation for being full of nutters and religious bigotry, but it's also the place where the British Labour movement was kick-started (with tanks in George Square), and where some great ships were built - including (I think - I shoud really check my facts) the Queen Mary which I believe is now docked in California. We also gave the world Donovan and Lulu. Do any of those on the other side of the Atlantic remember Donovan and Lulu? Douglas Coupland mentions the fiesty wee songstress in his latest novel, Jpods.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Raintown boy

Sounds like you have seen the show biz world just in a few days here in the capital!
    The Towers of London are just like you described if not worse, to me they are just a pretentious pastiche of talentless nonsense. Just like many others in the UK music scene, mainstream or indie.

Isn't it from Glasgow that the great Chewin' The Fat sketch comedy show is set? Or aren't the comedian themselves from Glasgow? I love Chewin' The Fat! One of the brightest, sharpest, most brilliant comedy shows created in the last twenty years! [img]wink.gif[/img] I've got to buy myself the DVD one day...

Perhaps not as big as Lulu and Donovan, but in the 80s your hometown gave birth to the Simple Minds - actually late 70s but became internationally succesful from 'New Gold Dream' onwards around 1982.

Last but not least you got the amazing Billy Connolly man! Another great geezer to make any real glaswegian proud of their heritage! :-) Basically the complete opposite of the famous anti-proud Scot speech as shown in 'Trainspotting' :-))

Lory
    x

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well we are know as the cornfield with stoplights, the one where our football team chokes when it gets to the bigtime, we try to sell off our roads to outside interests so they can charge us to drive down roads we have already paid for,we are going to "roundabouts' because our idiot govt can not time the stoplights to let big drags of traffic thru,we are building a bigger stadium even tho the old one is not paid for, i could go on and on. oh yeh we also have a bunch of rich folks driving hugely expensive cars around a track while the idiots who coe her to get gouged for everything they buy get drunk and show how they are too ignorant to walk on a sidewalk. lol

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

We are the home of the Old Tucson film studios where lots of great movies and TV series
    were filmed!
    The mafia boss Joe Bonano lived here!
    Lee Marvin lived here!
    Paul and Linda McCartney lived here!
    Linda Ronstadt is a native Tusconan! I used to do groundskeeping for her daddy!
    One of those Gilmore Girls is from right here in the Old Pueblo!

But alas, we are mostly famous for the heat here in Tucson but at least it's not as hot here
    as it is in Phoenix.
    Yep, it's a **** -hole alright but I call it home!
    [img]graemlins/sun.gif[/img] [img]eek.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sun.gif[/img]
    Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ummm....

Well, we've got the Arkansas Razorbacks who don't do much of anything most of the time. One of our University documentary teachers made a documentary of the football team's big moment...which was in 1964-65. Yeah. I don't even remember when the basketball team won the big title. I think I was in junior high.

This was also listed as one of the top areas to live, which means we've been inundated and can no longer recognize the place. At least we have a Starbuck's, which is apparently a good thing according to Hawkeye.

And Bill and Hillary once lived here. Their house on campus is now a museum I think, or it's going to be.

The surrounding cities get to lay claim to Tyson's, the Waltons and a regional airport out in the middle of nowhere.

Maybe I'm in a bad mood today. Oh well!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

*Makes Chrys a cup of tea* Some days are bad and some days are badder [img]wink.gif[/img]

Inactive Member SouthwestRanger's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

CRANFORD, NJ is famous for....

cranford mun 1307 155 drop

The Minnisink Trail, a Main Indian Highway Across New Jersey

Minnisink Trail followed the Rahway River through Cranford, and was the main Indian way across the state. Inside the Cranford line, the trail passed near a spring on what is now Indian Spring Road and into a swampy area. Game was plentiful along the river's edge and the swamp north of Cranford was a favorite hunting ground for eggs. Such swamps, and berry patches near them, were an important factor in determining the path of the trail.

Last Indian Battle Along the Minnisink

The Indians were not treated very well. Most people dealt with them fairly but those who did not were never punished. The French and Indian war began in 1754 all the way from Virginia to New England. The last Indian battle was fought along the Minnisink Trail, about a mile beyond Nomahegan Brook on the way to Springfield. The Indians were defeated and the Minnisink Trail they had used was never again used by large bodies of people.

Crane's Mill and the Revolutionary Period 1760 to 1800

John Crane built two mills, a sawmill and a grist mill. The first was known as Crane's Mills and the latter as Branch Mills. The road from Crane's Mills to Branch Mills was a main traveled route. It crossed the Rahway at Crane's Ford. The site of the ford is now where Riverside Drive deadends into the river bank at Memorial Park.

The mills provided grain for General Washington's army and much of the Revolutionary War was fought in this area. The British and the Continentals pursued each other so much that this area has been called the "**** pit of the Revolution."

After 1780, the battles moved away from New Jersey. The land was exhausted by two generations of constant farming. The supplies and equipment had been depleted; therefore families moved away to upstate New York. The farms were turned to orchards and this change, beginning in the late eighteenth century, marked the end of the pioneer period.

How Did Cranford Get Its Name?

In 1849, on the Fourth of July, some children were having a Sunday School picnic at Josiah Crane's farm. They had such a good time that in thanks to him, they jokingly chalked "Craneville" in large letters on the side of a building. The name was later mis-spelled as "Cranville" in the Crane farm deed, when it was sold for real estate. This mistake may have helped in the choice of "Cranford, " because is is easier to pronounce than "Crane's Ford. " This information was excerpted from the pamphlet "300 Years at Crane's Ford"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast