Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I couldn't see it on CNN.com and I don't know if it's the same video I saw on the evening tv News here some weeks ago, there was stone throwing and people with mobile phones recording... There's no talking about cultural differences between different countries, and the reason for these murders... I can't find the words for it... just anger....

Cristina

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

I just saw a report about that on CNN news!
    Hard to believe things like that have ever happened, much less, that's it's
    still happening in these modern times.

If that's religion, I'm proud to be an infidel!

Same goes for those pediphile priests! What hypocrisy!

Anybody else catching any of those Dateline NBC To Catch A Predator shows?
    CRAZEE!!!!
    [img]frown.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_down.gif[/img]
    Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know Wolverine, the statistics alone are mind-boggling. In the United States: *1 in 5 violent offenders serving time in a State prison reported having victimized a child.

*More than half the violent crimes committed against children involved victims age 12 or younger.

*7 in 10 offenders with child victims reported that they were imprisoned for a rape or sexual assault.

*Two-thirds of all prisoners convicted of rape or sexual assault had committed their crime against a child.

*Nearly two-thirds of rapists and sexual assaulters in State prison committed their crime against a child.

*In a study of 571 pedophiles, the Washington Post revealed that each had molested an average of 300 victims

Every 9 seconds in the United States, a woman is assaulted, one of 4 girls will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime. Every 2.5 minutes, someone in America is sexually assaulted. 80% of victims are under 30. Sadly, this happens in every country.

And Gus, I do consider myself a Christian, but I don't like organized religion. I have a lot of respect for the more peaceful religions though, like Buddhism, where all life is considered precious. As Gandhi said, "I like Christ. I do not like your Christians, they are nothing like Him."

And going back to the topic, I think that until there are lifetime imprisonments for sexual offenders, nothing will really change. That and the stigma, the shame and the guilt that most victims will feel, needs to change. Society needs to look at them as heroes for speaking out instead.

~Cass

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What troubles me about organised religion is that it often seems to provide access to power and influence to unscrupulous people who otherwise wouldn't - and shouldn't - have any power over others whatsoever. And what has been really bothering me since watching that horrible stoning video is the question of how I would react if I ever found myself witnessing something as hideous as that. Would I have the guts to try and intervene? I hope that if the time ever comes that I'm able to do the right thing.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't understand why the religion is against abortion and so it defends still unborn children, but it doesn't protect children that ARE born and that end up in the hands of these "priests"... [img]frown.gif[/img]

Cristina

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hooray Oprah!

*blaugh*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12