Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Oh Oh! I see a conflict on Thursday night! Luckily there are extra airings of this VH1 special!

VH1 Rock Honors 2008_The Who July 17, 2008

You might want to check out VH1 Rock Honors 2008 The Who on Thursday, July 17th at 9 pm Eastern on VH1, VH1 Classic and MHD. Joan Jett might be in a taped segment talking about The Who, if it wasn't cut from the show.
    The tribute was taped on July 12th.

The special will be aired on VH1 and later released on DVD.

The set-list was:
    Video Montage with comments from Cameron Crowe, Joan Jett, Billy Bob Thornton, Conan O`Brien, Sting, Billy Idol and others
    David Duchovny introduces the Foo Fighters
    Young Man Blues - Foo Fighters
    Bargain - Foo Fighters with Gaz Coombes of Supergrass
    Clips from film Amazing Journey: The Story of the Who on the early years & Tommy
    Rainn Wilson (dressed as the Pinball Wizard from the movie Tommy) introduces the Flaming Lips
    Medley from Tommy - Flaming Lips
    Clips from film Amazing Journey: The Story of the Who on Keith Moon
    Mila Kunis introduces Incubus
    I Can See For Miles - Incubus
    I Can`t Explain - Incubus
    Clips from film Amazing Journey: The Story of the Who on sound and performance
    Squeeze Box - Tenacious D
    Sean Penn introduces Pearl Jam
    Love Reign O`er Me - Pearl Jam
    The Real Me - Pearl Jam
    Clips from film Amazing Journey: The Story of the Who on Squeeze Box and the modern group
    Adam Sandler performing a reworked version of Magic Bus
    Baba O`Reiley - Who
    The Seeker - Who
    Who Are You - Who
    Behind Blue Eyes - Who
    2000 Years - Who
    You Better You Bet - Who
    My Generation - Who
    Won`t Get Fooled Again - Who
    Tea & Theatre - Who

VH1 Thu, Jul 17
    9:00 PM
    VH1 Thu, Jul 17
    11:00 PM
    VH1 Fri, Jul 18
    11:00 AM
    VH1 Fri, Jul 18
    7:00 PM
    VH1 Sat, Jul 19
    11:00 PM
    VH1 Sun, Jul 20
    1:00 PM

For more information check out WASTED's post on the Joan Jett Message board:

http://thespeakeasy19751.yuku.com/topic/3052

I can't wait for the Stevie Nicks special on PBS or The Who special on VH1!
    Did TV just get better somehow?!?!
    [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]cool.gif[/img]
    Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

WE BELIEVE it did get better, it'z getting better all the time [img]graemlins/music.gif[/img] Tea, Hee

Looking forward to STEVIE NICKS tonight
    Part UNO ( 1 ) [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hugzzz and wet sloppy [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img] zzz

The [img]graemlins/party.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/girl.gif[/img] zzz

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Great special man the foo fighters were killer.
    Pearl Jam's the real me was excellent.
    The Old Who brought it!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Hi there Charlie!
    I agree, whole-heartedly! I'm not usually into Pearl Jam but they sure shined on the Who special!
    The only band, I found disappointing was The Flaming Lips. I thought they were terrible, in the vocal department!
    It was nice seeing Joan Jett praising The Who but I wish they'd had her performing too.
    The show was too much of a boys club, imo!

I loved the Tea And Theater bit, at the end! Roger's and Pete's commentary about each other meant a lot to me, as a fan!

Long live The Who!
    Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The flaming lips lost me too.
    I agree Joan Jett has always admired The Who and would have turned up the heat.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Originally posted by NewYorkJettster:
    The SOUNDSTAGE for STEVIE NICKS
    Part 2 is on July 24th 08 on PBS check your local times in your area.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Stevie Nicks ROCKS! Tonight's the night for part two!
    I enjoyed part one, for sure but it looks like she does more Fleetwood Mac songs tonight though!
    Can't be bad!
    Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

I enjoyed the heck outa that Stevie Nicks show, for sure

and now I'm enjoying the heck outa Kristen Capolino's 'ALL THAT I AM' CD courtesy of the one and only
    New York Jettster, who had the good fortune to see her opening for Lita Ford a few weeks ago!

Thanks #3 for your wonderful gift of GRRREAT music!
    You are so right....Kristen plays a mean guitar!

kc1

Rock on!
    Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Speaking of GRRREAT gifts of music, I am now enjoying
    Mitch Ryder "The Godfather of Motorcity Rock N Roll"
    recorded <u>LIVE</u> in Las Vegas, courtesy of Wing Nut!
    MitchRyder01

Thanx a lot Gregg! This CD is FANtastic!
    Always did love them Detroit Wheels,
    for sure!
    Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Sad news today!

MEMPHIS, Tennessee (AFP) ? American funk-soul legend and Academy Award-award winning musician Isaac Hayes was found dead Sunday at his home in Memphis, Tennessee, officials said. He was 65.

The talented singer, songwriter and composer, who won the Oscar in 1972 for best original song for the theme from "Shaft," was found unresponsive at his house by family members, Shelby county sheriff's spokesman Steve Shular told AFP.

Hayes was discovered at about 1:00 pm (1800 GMT) collapsed on the floor of a bedroom in his home next to a treadmill that was still running, he said.

"We don't believe there was any foul play," Shular said. "Based on the statements by family members that Mr. Hayes had been treated of late for a number of medical issues, we believe that led to his death today. There are no plans for an autopsy."

Hayes suffered a stroke in early 2006.

Born August 20, 1942 in Covington, Tennessee, Hayes' humble beginnings with his sharecropper family were never far from his mind. At the height of fame, he bought an estate in East Memphis overlooking the same cotton fields where he grew up.

He began singing in church at age five and in high school caught the attention of a guidance counselor who persuaded him to enter a talent show.

"When I finished, the house was on its feet, man, and I was a hit ... So I started pursuing music big time," Hayes said on his official website.

He was renowned for his characteristic baritone voice and mastery of several instruments, including the saxophone and the piano.

After graduating high school in 1962 and winning seven college scholarships for vocal music, Hayes turned down higher education to launch his music with Stax Record, where he worked with some of Rhythm and Blues biggest names at the time, including Sam & Dave, Otis Redding and Booker T & the MG's.

Hayes became Stax's rising star starting in 1966, and over the next few years some 200 Hayes-David Porter compositions became standards.

His career took off in 1969 with the landmark "Hot Buttered Soul" album, which stayed on the pop chart for 81 weeks and forced the music industry, for the first time, to conceive of soul music as an album art form.

At the time of emerging Black Power and with the death of Martin Luther King as a conscience building experience, Hayes transformed his image into a revolutionary statement, dressing in black leather, draping his bare chest in rows of gold chains and shaving his head completely.

After his career-defining soundtrack for the 1971 movie "Shaft," for which Hayes picked up an Oscar, three Grammy awards, a Golden Globe award, and an Edison award, Europe's highest music honor, Hayes began acting in scores of movies and television series.

His guest star appearances included TV shows "The Rockford Files" and "Miami Vice." He also appeared in feature films such as "Escape from New York" and "Hustle & Flow."

Musically, he returned to the charts in 1986 with a new record deal with Columbia and a new album, "U-Turn."

In 1997 he began voicing the role of chef in the animated Comedy Central cable ' series "South Park," but quit in 2006, apparently because of a conflict with Scientology, a religion he followed since the mid 1990s.

During a 1991 trip with Barry White to Africa, Hayes became fascinated with his African roots, and began his philanthropic devotion to spreading the message that education is the key to freedom.

He started the Isaac Hayes Foundation in 1993 and after being crowned king of a small community in Ghana, he returned in 2000 to open an education center that provides literacy, computer technology and health courses.

In 2002, Hayes was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and moved back home to Memphis, Tennessee, where he pursed business interests that flowered into two restaurants, a best-selling cookbook and top secret barbecue sauces.

He wrote a self-help book, "The Way to Happiness," and summarized his life experience in an interview: "At the end of the day, we are responsible for our own lives.

"If anything happens to us, don't blame somebody else. Backtrack and look at what you did to contribute to that. You also contribute to your successes. Once you learn that, you're on your way."

Hayes was married four times and fathered 12 children, according to Us magazine. He is survived by his current wife Adjowa, whom he married in 2005 and with whom he had one child.

R.I.P. Mr. Hayes
    Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

By RICHARD RICHTMYER, Associated Press Writer

ALBANY, N.Y. - John Lennon's killer was denied parole for a fifth time Tuesday by a board that said he remains a threat to the public. Mark David Chapman will remain in New York's Attica Correctional Facility for at least two more years for gunning down the former Beatle nearly three decades ago on a Manhattan sidewalk.

Chapman, 53, has been in prison for 27 years since pleading guilty to the murder, which he has said he committed to gain attention. He became eligible for parole in 2000 after serving 20 years of a maximum life sentence.

In a one-page decision issued after Chapman's appearance Tuesday, parole board members said they denied his parole "due to concern for the public safety and welfare."

The parole board said that although Chapman has had a clean disciplinary record since 1994, he told board members during the hearing that he planned and conducted Lennon's killing "with an essentially clear mind."

Considering that, the board said, his release "would not be in the best interest of the community."

A transcript of the 36-minute hearing, conducted by two parole board members, was not immediately available.

Chapman, a former maintenance man from Hawaii, fired five shots outside Lennon's apartment building on Dec. 8, 1980, hitting Lennon four times in front of his wife, Yoko Ono, and others.

Ono, who has previously written the parole board arguing against Chapman's release, did not offer any testimony in his latest hearing.

"She was very pleased at the division of parole's decision," said her lawyer, Peter Shukat. He declined to comment further.

Fifty people sent letters and 1,100 others signed a petition opposing his release, while three wrote in urging that he be set free, said Heather Groll, a state Parole Division spokeswoman.

Chapman's next appearance before the board is scheduled for August 2010.