Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Are Your Favourite Sci-Fi Films ?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree about 'The Omega Man' - I was about twelve or thirteen years old when I first saw it, and I sat gripping the cinema seats during certain scenes. There's also another really good version of the novel, 'I Am Legend', which was made about ten years or so before 'The Omega Man'. It's called 'The Last Man On Earth' and stars Vincent Price. It's a joint American/Italian movie and despite having some dodgy voice dubbing and some even dodgier acting, it works. It sticks fairly close to the original book, and was a hugh influence on 'The Night of the Living Dead'.

As for my favourite sci-fi film, it has to be '2001: A Space Odyssey'. It mesemerised me when I first saw it back in the 1960's - though I didn't quite understand it then - and it still has the same effect on me.

And a special mention for 'Silent Running' starring Bruce Dern. I haven't seen this movie in a long time - I'm thinking I should check to see if it's available on DVD. Check it out if you haven't seen it - it'll break your heart.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Oh yeah! Silent Running is a great movie
    and I love Omega Man too.

[img]graemlins/film.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]cool.gif[/img]

Inactive Member SouthwestRanger's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The recent Will Smith Remake was Ok but it played like another version of 28 DAYS LATER....

i am legend

And one of my sweet co-workers Jackie pointed out a MAJOR Film Flub in the recent film I AM LEGEND...

Since all the Bridges, Tunnels, and other access points to NYC were KNOCKED OUT of use by the US Government to prevent the spread of the virus, then how the heck did that Brazilan Chick and the young boy get to meet Will Smith in their car ???

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I watched 'I Am Legend' the other day. Oh dear. It was promising at the beginning - Will Smith was good and they spent a lot of time developing the fact that he was on his own, incredibly lonely, and scared of the things that came out at night. We also learned that one of the Nightwalkers had intelligence and was out to get him. Then what? Not an awful lot. Any story that the original novel or movies had was abandoned and replaced by CGI effects, which just wasn't enough, considering they weren't that great. As for holes in the plot... I won't even start on them as to do so would give too much away to those who haven't seen it yet, but did the writers actually care if any of it added up? What a stinker!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by raintown boy:
    I watched 'I Am Legend' the other day. Oh dear. It was promising at the beginning - Will Smith was good and they spent a lot of time developing the fact that he was on his own, incredibly lonely, and scared of the things that came out at night. We also learned that one of the Nightwalkers had intelligence and was out to get him. Then what? Not an awful lot. Any story that the original novel or movies had was abandoned and replaced by CGI effects, which just wasn't enough, considering they weren't that great. As for holes in the plot... I won't even start on them as to do so would give too much away to those who haven't seen it yet, but did the writers actually care if any of it added up? What a stinker!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree RB, Besides since Smith's character was a Military Officer, I'm sure he knew the folly of isolating himself in a hostile area cutoff from all access...but then again look at the Military Mind at work in Iraq... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The original version with Vincent Price and Omega Man with Chuck Heston were more entertaining...

I also saw National Treasure 2 and Charlie Wilson's War which were more fun...I think Cherie could've handled the Joanne Herring role better than Julia Roberts in CWW [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

Also worth checking out is THE MUMMY (1999) and THE MUMMY RETURNS (2001)

Mummy 1999 im1

Sort of a Light Hearted Indiana Jones with decent performances from Brendan Fraser, Rachel Weisz, John Hannah. and Kevin O'Connor as the slimy but lovable creep Beni !!!!

benithumb

And who can forget Arnold Vosloo as IMMMM-HOOOO-TEPPPP !!!! IMMMM-HOOOO-TEPPP !!!! [img]mad.gif[/img]

Great chemistry between all the actors and a good script...Action packed and never a dull moment.....

BTW Bernard Fox (DR BOMBAY) from Bewitched and Hogans Heroes plays the drunken RAF Pilot who seeks a glorious death....

And there is another MUMMY film coming out but the oh sooo sweet Rachel Weisz (Evie) is not in it....

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mummy:_Tomb_of_the_Dragon_Emperor"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mummy:_Tomb_of_the_Dragon_Emperor[/ame]

Bummer ! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There's a new version of 'The Day The Earth Stood Still' starring Keanu Reeves as Klatuu on the way. I'm not sure what I think of that. Check it out here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970416/

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by raintown boy:
    There's a new version of 'The Day The Earth Stood Still' starring Keanu Reeves as Klatuu on the way. I'm not sure what I think of that. Check it out here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970416/
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In the words of the Late Great Vincent Price...

"Why do they always have to remake the great classic films ? Can't they remake the terrible ones ?"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

WARNING ....WARNING...WARNING...SPOILERS AHEAD !!!!

cloverfield poster

Cast
    Michael Stahl-David as Robert Hawkins[7]
    Mike Vogel as Jason "Hawk" Hawkins[7]
    Odette Yustman as Beth McIntyre[7]
    Lizzy Caplan as Marlena Diamond[7]
    Jessica Lucas as Lily Ford[7]
    T. J. Miller[8] as Hudson "Hud" Platt[7]

The film opens up with a digital message saying that this is a Top Secret tape not to be recopied.

The main action of the film begins on May 22; Jason Hawkins (Mike Vogel) and his girlfriend, Lily (Jessica Lucas), plan a surprise going away party for Jason's brother, Rob (Michael Stahl-David), who has accepted a business position in Japan. Jason entrusts Rob?s best friend, Hud (T. J. Miller), with the video camera, so he can tape the party and document Rob?s last night in America. He attempts to flirt with a girl named Marlena (Lizzy Caplan) but is unsuccessful.

Rob arrives and is happy to see all his friends. Things get complicated quickly, though, as it is revealed that Rob recently slept with Beth (Odette Yustman), making their longtime friendship more complicated just before he leaves the country. Beth arrives at the party - but with a date. When Rob confronts her about the date, she claims they have not spoken in weeks. Beth leaves with her date.

The building then suddenly shakes, a large animal-like growl is heard and the power temporarily fails. Startled party goers then watch a news report saying that an oil tanker near the Statue of Liberty has capsized. Dozens of people head to the roof and witness a huge explosion in the distance, falling debris from which quickly forces them to retreat to the ground floor. Upon reaching the street, the Statue of Liberty's head suddenly crashes down before them, and everyone witnesses more explosions and a gigantic creature moving in the distance. Rob, Jason, Lily, Marlena and Hud all head for the Brooklyn Bridge. While on the bridge, Rob gets a call from Beth, who is now injured and trapped in her Midtown apartment after an explosion. The creature's tail then comes out of the water and destroys the bridge, killing Jason among many others. Rob and his friends flee back to Manhattan.

Rob says that he is heading to Midtown to save Beth. Meanwhile, everyone starts to learn more about what exactly is attacking the city. Marlena says that she saw something huge ?eating people? while a TV newscast shows the giant creature dropping large spider-like parasites, the size of a dog, onto the ground, where they immediately attack nearby soldiers. They take a look at what Hud recorded from the film leaving a gap in the film showing Rob playfully chatting with Beth, from the April recording. This happens a few more times during the film, usually when the camcorder experiences trauma.

The group?s journey into Midtown brings them to a battle between the monster and US Military forces. Rob and his friends descend into the subway for safety and decide to walk the tracks to Beth?s building. In the tunnel they are ambushed by several of the parasites and Marlena is badly bitten. They escape and rendezvous with US Military officers. When they discover that Marlena has been bitten, they quickly rush her behind a bio hazard tent. She then swells and gruesomely explodes from her parasite bites. An officer then rushes them to the exit and informs them of an evacuation helicopter site, revealing that the situation in the city is so out of control that it will not be long before the government authorizes a plan to destroy all of Manhattan in an attempt to kill the creature.

The remaining three arrive at Beth's building in Manhattan; it is partially toppled and leaning on another, taller building nearby. They get to her apartment by climbing the stairs of the other building until they are above the roof of Beth's building, where they cross over and work their way down. They discover Beth, who has fallen and impaled her shoulder. After freeing her and fending off another parasite, they escape the buildings and board USMC UH-1 Iroquois evacuation helicopters just as the giant creature attacks nearby. Lily is separated during the evacuation, and she escapes in a different helicopter.

georgebushexplosion

W: Well....It was a total necessary to destroy New York City in order to save it from that Cloverfield Mutated thing or whatever it was....and we are preparing to take military action against Syria which the Pentagon has determined to be the staging place for that thing...and if they want to send more of those evil creatures against Chicago, L.A., Miami, and Boston...I SAY BRING IT ON !!!!

Flying above Manhattan as day breaks, Rob, Beth and Hud witness a USAF B-2 Spirit attacking, and seemingly killing, the giant creature; however, it leaps out of the smoke plumes and swipes at the helicopter, causing it to crash in Central Park. Hud, Rob and Beth survive the crash, only to look up and see what seems to be the same creature towering over them.[5]

After the creature kills Hud, Rob and Beth hide underneath a bridge. Rob gives a final testimonial to the camera while in the background, air-raid sirens begin to go off and tells Beth that he loves her. She tells Rob she loves him too, immediately before multiple massive explosions leave the camera covered in rubble, presumably killing them both.[6]

The movie then cuts to the original footage from the tape that this film was recorded over, and it displays a scene with Rob and Beth enjoying their Coney Island date a month before, happy and carefree. Rob asks Beth to comment on her experience. Beth ends the film by saying, "I had a good day." At this point something falls out of the sky and splashes into the water in the distance, completely unnoticed by Rob and Beth.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverfield"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverfield[/ame]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anything with STAR WARS in the title [img]smile.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast