Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Smith (Dave Clark 5) R.I.P.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dave Clark Five lead singer Mike Smith died of pneumonia Thursday, less than two weeks before the band was to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He was 64.

Smith died at a hospital outside of London, his agent Margo Lewis said.

He was admitted to the intensive care unit Wednesday morning with a chest infection, a complication from a spinal cord injury that left him paralyzed below the ribcage with limited use of his upper body. Lewis said he was injured when he fell from a fence at his home in Spain in September 2003.

Smith had been in the hospital since the accident, and was just released last December when he moved into a specially prepared home near the hospital with his wife.

"These last five years were extremely difficult for Mike. I am incredibly saddened to lose him, his energy and his humor, but I am comforted by the fact that he had the chance to spend his final months and days at home with his loving wife Charlie," Lewis said.

Smith wrote songs as well as singing and playing keyboards for the Dave Clark Five, one of many British rock acts whose music swept across the United States in the 1960s during the so-called British Invasion.

The Beatles are the best remembered, of course, but at the time the Dave Clark Five posed the strongest threat, commercially and critically, to their pre-eminence.

The Dave Clark Five claimed a string of U.S. hits, including "Because," "Glad All Over," and "I Like it Like That." By 1966, the band had made 12 appearances on "The Ed Sullivan Show," then a record for any British group.

The group's antics were captured in John Boorman's 1965 documentary "Catch Us If You Can," which followed Smith and his band mates through the English city of Bristol.

While the group ? which broke up in 1970 ? was named after him, Dave Clark himself was the drummer.

The group is going to be inducted in the rock hall on March 10, a ceremony Lewis said Smith was trying to attend.

"We're very unhappy about the whole situation ? it's sad," Rock and Roll Hall of Fame President Joel Peresman said.

He said the ceremony would go ahead as planned, but that there would be "a little extra significance this year."

Said Lewis: "He was extremely excited and honored to have been inducted ... and I am glad that he will be remembered as a hall of famer, because he was in so many ways."

Smith is survived by his wife, Arlene (nicknamed Charlie).
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
    Car-building legend Boyd Coddington, whose testosterone-injecte d cable TV reality show "American Hot Rod" introduced the nation to the West Coast hot rod guru, has died. He was 63.

Coddington died at Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital in suburban Whittier at 6:20 a.m. Wednesday. His La Habra office spokeswoman Amanda Curry wouldn't disclose the cause of death.

Coddington, who started building cars when he was 13 and once operated a gas station in Utah, set a standard for his workmanship and creativity, with his popular "Cadzilla" creation considered a design masterpiece. The customized car based on a 1950s Cadillac was built for rocker Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

mikesmith
    It's very sad that Mike Smith passed away! He was one of my favorite singers for many years and the way the DC5 kept getting bumped from their rightful place, in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, has been one of the most obvious shortcomings of that institution.
    The man had a rough time for these past 5 years and it would have been so nice for him to have received the honor, in his lifetime.
    I'm glad he knew it was finally going to happen, anyway.

There'll be no mistaking the sound of his Vox Continental Organ in that Rock And Roll Heaven Band, for sure!
    R.I.P. Mike

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Rock Hall News: Joan Jett Performing for Dave Clark Five Tribute
    3/5/08, 2:03 pm EST

According to a source at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Joan Jett will be performing at the ceremony in a tribute to inductees the Dave Clark Five. Jett joins Iggy Pop, Damien Rice, Patti LaBelle, John Mellencamp and others as performers at this Monday?s event. The Dave Clark Five, who will be inducted by fan Tom Hanks, recently suffered the tragic death of singer Mike Smith, who passed away while preparing to come to New York for the show. VH-1 Classic will air the ?Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony? live from the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City this Monday, March 10 at 8:30 PM, featuring honorees Madonna, John Mellencamp, Leonard Cohen, the Ventures, the Dave Clark Five, Little Walter and Gamble & Huff.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...-five-tribute/

I Like It Like That!
    [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]cool.gif[/img]
    Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That is great news, unfortunatly I can not get VH1 Classics, Hopefully some of the other stations will air highlights.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I loved the Dave Clark back in the sixties; they are indelibly etched in my memories of childhood. I didn't know they are so well known in the USA, though I'm glad to discover that they are. 'Catch Us If You Can' is a truly original (and, in my opinion, sinfully underrated) rock film. I didn't know Mike Smith had such a hard life in recent years. It's good that he could be with loved ones at the end. He will be missed.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Yep Paul, during the first couple years of the British Invasion, The Dave Clark Five were the second most popular band of the bunch.
    They had numerous big hits but by late 1965 their songwriting had dried up and they made less successful covers of U.S. rock oldies. They broke up in 1970 but regrouped briefly for some nostalgia circuit concerts in 1973.

In 1978, a compilation of their hits, 25 Thumping Great Hits, made a strong showing on the British charts!

Sadly, Dennis Payton passed away a little over a year ago.
    I hope Dave Clark, Rick Huxley and Lenny Davidson will be in attendance at the Hall Of Fame induction ceremony!

Here is some interesting scheduling info provided by Wasted, over on Joan's board!
    VH1 has a shedule for the ceremony with reruns, in case you miss it the first time.
    http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/jett_joan/motv.jhtml

Now there are at least five ways to catch the show:

Live at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City
    Simulcast at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland
    VH1 Classic (VH1C)
    Music High Definition (MHD)
    Live Stream on bestbuy.com http://www.bestbuy.com/halloffame

http://www.rockhall.com/inductees/induction-process/
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]cool.gif[/img]
    Gus

Inactive Member NewYorkJettster's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ella, I will have my DVR recording this and taping as well with the Vcr tapes.
    I don't have the dvd or cd recording device
    for tv.

If the tape helps I will send it to ya. Just
    let me know.
    [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

44483146 hanksclark ap
    Well, I guess the Dave Clark <s>Five</s> Three were on hand but did not perform Monday night

44483149 joanjett ap203
    but Joan Jett ROCKED OUT on their hit "Bit's And Pieces"

and I'm way bummed that I missed the show!

Oh well, such is life!
    [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Gus

Inactive Member NewYorkJettster's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did DVR the show butt, the show did not tape on vcr. [img]confused.gif[/img]

Hopefully they will show it again. If they do I will tape it with out the DVR on.

If anyone knows when they will re-air it, let me know please.

[img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

There is a great article which chronicles the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony
    at Hotel******r.com but obviously, the auto-censor won't allow the word c`h`a`t`t`e`r
    here so instead of the link, I'll post the entire report:

The normally somewhat-staid Waldorf-Astoria was rockin? on Monday night as the annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction dinner crowd took over the ballroom. Beautiful People abounded, as a mix of luminaries from the worlds of entertainment, publishing, and business table-hopped and schmoozed it up.

The night kicked off with the induction of the Philadelphia songwriting and producing team of Gamble and Huff. Patti LaBelle set the performance bar high, opening the show with a rousing rendition of their ?If You Don?t Know Me By Now? ? eliciting the first of many standing ovations to come during the course of the evening.

It?s hard to believe this is the same women who strutted around in ridiculous get-ups singing ?Voulez vous couchez avec moi?? a few years back. Ms. LaBelle is the embodiment of class these days. She looked amazing and sounded even better. So the night was off to a good start.

Creedence Clearwater Revival great John Fogerty inducted surf guitar icons The Ventures, describing how every kid of his era with a guitar tried to imitate them. When the group launched into the Hawaii 5-O theme, the crowd gave a nostalgic cheer. Among the hundreds looking on and enjoying it all were Michael J. Fox and Tracy Pollan with their oldest son, Sam, as well as Ed Burns and Christy Turlington.

Lou Reed took the podium to induct Leonard Cohen, but it was often hard to hear him with all the dishes clattering and folks at the fringe of the ballroom chatting it up as if there was nothing going on worth listening to. Very annoying.

Still, when Cohen accepted his award, the room pretty much quieted down and listened while he made his comments and then recited ?The Tower of Song? in its entirety.

Damien Rice performed a simple and moving rendition of Cohen?s ?Hallelujah? with just his voice and an acoustic guitar. It was beautiful and the crowd loved it.

During set changes, Hall of Fame founders Jann Wenner and Seymour Stein circulated and ******d it up with the likes of Ron Perelman, Graydon Carter, and Mica Ertegun, widow of Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun.

The energy in the room totally shifted when Justin Timberlake arrived to induct Madonna. He?s clearly gotten to know The Material Girl well, as he and Timbaland recently spent months in London co-producing a new album for her. The innuendo-laden intro turned off some, but for the most part, JT endeared himself with the crowd.

Madge returned the favor with plenty of bleepable words and anecdotes of her own when accepting her award, making sure to acknowledge all the people who said she was talentless and would never make it.

She thanked the naysayers for making her work harder to become successful. Rather surprisingly, Mrs. Ritchie attended this rather monumental event in her life sans hubby and children. Her ever-present publicist, Liz Rosenberg, assured reporters that all was well on the marriage and family front, however.

Madonna?s choice of fellow Detroit native Iggy Pop to perform in her stead was typically bold and unconventional. (There was no explanation as to WHY she did not sing, though a couple of women were heard to joke that maybe ?the stitches are still in?? M is looking VERY refreshed these days!) Few in the crowd seemed taken with Iggy and many appeared to ignore him.

Billy Joel gave a wholly hysterical speech inducting his pal John Mellencamp. Who knew these guys were friends? Billy told many a funny tale on ?the little ******* ? and painted him as the contentious conscience of the heartland that he is.

Mellencamp?s stunning model wife, Elaine Irwin, looking oh-so-glam in a glittering dress took it all in with a smile, as did Joel?s lovely young missus, Katie Lee. Mellencamp?s acceptance speech was as cantankerous as one would expect.

But when Mellencamp and band broke into ?Little Pink Houses?, the crowd finally got to their feet and started dancing.

Sadly, the best, most heartfelt speech of the night was given to an emptying room. Tom Hanks gave a fantastic tribute to England?s Dave Clark Five, but the hour was growing late and people left before and during his presentation.

Too bad for those who left. Hanks? longtime friend and co-star Meg Ryan was held rapt, as were those of us left in the room, as he told what it was like to escape from the circumstances of a difficult childhood by tuning into his transistor radio and experiencing the JOY of the music of the Dave Clark Five.

It was a rousing and touching nod to a band not often given its due as the only group the Beatles ever feared. Because two of the members died in the last year, a band consisting of Joan Jett, John Fogerty, Mellencamp and his band, with able backing from the Paul Shaffer and the house band, closed down the night with joyful versions of ?Bits and Pieces? and ?Glad All Over?.

Too bad this event drags on too long year after year (because of TV broadcast requirements) and instead of going out with a bang, it now tails off into a sad whimper. Hard on the band which gets inducted last!

Next year the dinner moves to Cleveland to the actual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame for a special event? but then it will presumably head back to ballroom of the Waldorf-Astoria, where for just a few days each March, the Grande old Dame of Hotels will rock again.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's sad that so many people had left before the Dave Clark Five
    finally received their long overdue recognition.

That's just wrong, imo!
    [img]confused.gif[/img]
    GD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast