Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

check out this very alluring fan site on the criminally under-rated but never forgotten Orchids. let's not forget that the Runaways final bassist, Laurie McAllister (who took over from Vicki Blue in the Autumn of 78) was in the Orchids along with Jan King, Che Zuro and Laurie Bell. these fantabulous femmes went on to form Puss'n'Boots, amongst other girl group supergroup legends.
    http://www.unm.edu/~rocks/orchidsa.htm

there's also links to Che Zuro's and Jan King's websites complete with, get this, messageboards, if you can believe it. nice to see that the gals are still active.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, Gordie - illuminating as ever.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Many, many thanks for posting this link to The Orchids fan page! I've spent hours on search engines and never found a thing related to The Orchids.... Just that Wild Orchids group forums

------------------
    ***Be Kind To Animals***

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hi Smidge

so glad you enjoyed the Orchids site. aren't they fantabulous!? what are your fave ditties from their album?

i have a live boot cassette of them as well but unforts very little of the album is in the set list apart from Daughters of Babylon. but they swear a bit which is nice to hear! 'we're the fucken' Orchids!!'

hey, did you ever enjoy their 4-song EP w/ 'If Boys Got Pregnant', etc???

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey, any Rock Goddess fans out there? I loved their album with "Hell Hath No Fury" on it. That one, The Runaways' "Live in Japan", & Precious Metal's "That Kinda Girl" are my fave grrrl records of all time.
    I have that Orchids LP on vinyl, but since I don't currently have access to a record player I haven't heard it in a while. Any other rockin' chick records you all can recommend? Being a little younger (maybe) than a few of you, I missed all the good stuff when it was originally released, so I depend on word of mouth to root it out.
    Thanks forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Check out Juliana Hatfield. I think you might like her stuff. I would recommend
    "ONLY EVERYTHING" and "BECOME WHAT YOU ARE." BECOME WHAT YOU are was her most successful album and is a bit more melodic. Some of her newer stuff is raunchier. She's a chick who isn't afraid to swear in her songs or on stage.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

julianna hatfield?? i don't think so dearie...JordonJ was ass-kickin' rockin' mamas!

jordieJ - have you heard the other 2 Precious Metal albums. worth investigating. Lee Aaron is a perfect example of 80s rock chickdom. but not her early Metal Queen persona, her later albums like 'Wild at Heart' and the one that had 'Rebel Angel' on it. can't remember what the hell it's called. Girlschool, of course, are legendary. the blonde chick from Rock Goddess played with them for a while in the late 80s.

how could i forget Vixen, Madame X and Phantom Blue? lest we forget gorgeous Pat Benatar for godsake! her hubby was quite the dish as well.

DeeJay would probably mention Saraya as well but i've never heard her so cannot comment. Beki Bondage, from Vice Squad, has just released an OK album full of covers, incl. Thin Lizzy's 'boys are back in town'. she's pretty rockin'.

how could i not mention our Rock SoulMother, Suzi Quatro? she takes the biscuit!

g, shaken, not stirred x

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I met Lee Aaron a few years ago at a drug thing. She's even more beautiful in person than in her photos. (Just like Cherie who's also even prettier in person.)You might want to give Juliana a chance though. Her newer stuff (which never gets any airlpay) is really raunchy metal/punk. When I saw her live she used tons of feedback and distortion.
    Here's a link to a cool Juliana Hatfield live song I've just uploaded to my page. Save the mp3 (the only file there)to your hard drive and play it. It a song she first recorded with her first band (Blake Babies) that she is performing live with the Juliana Hatfield Three. Let me know if anyone checked it out and if you liked or hated it.
    http://vortexvortex.tripod.com/

I'll have to check out the Orchids though as I don't recall ever hearing any of their music. Of the groups mentioned above I got to see Girlschool live in the 80's opening for Deep Purple. They didn't get to do Race With the Devil which was my favorite Girlschool song as the audience was pretty non-responsive and the girls didn't do an enchore.

[This message has been edited by vortex (edited January 05, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by vortex (edited January 05, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Are you talking Female bands or Ass-Kickin' Rock Mommas? What about musicianship?
    It does take more than looks and who could forget Vixen - a whole band of Nancy Wilson lookalikes. LOL!! That hair! Yikes!!
    If you want to talk about players and pioneers for female rockers you cannot overlook Ann & Nancy Wilson. Not only did they blow open doors for all female rockers to follow but wrote and played the music (and lyrics) and were in charge of the band. That was a first in rock-n-roll. Besides Nancy Wilson can play circles around most every guitarist out there.
    (oh, and now they both are "rock moms" too)

Another awesome guitarist, Janet Robin (formerly of Precious Metal), is about to release her second solo album. She totally rocks and has the chops.
    Visit her website for more info. http://www.janetrobin.com

Rock ON!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Gordie - Juliana Hatfield ROCKS!! Vortex is right - her new album Total System Failure is solid rock'n'roll, very edgy, she pulls away from some of the more saccharine songs and soul-search ballads she's done in the past, she's pushing the envelope in some of these tracks. She's also VERY good live, and has gone the true "indie" route with her own productions, indie label etc. She also loves to read Samuel Beckett novels, which means she's deranged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast