Thread: Betty Blowtorch (plus one more birthday wish!)

Inactive Member curriejettfordfoxwest's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just got this bands' CD "Are you man enough?" and it is really cool. THere are 2 lead singers, one is hhhaaaaaaarrrrrd and the other leans towards pop. But the coolest thing about this band? The drummer is wearing a Runaways T-shirt in the cd photos. (and looks a teeny bit like Sandy West!) Yet another group of women carrying the torch, thanks to Cherie and The Runaways. And again, Happy Birthday Cherie and Marie!

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Betty Blowtorch rocks! Now three people know.
    I guess this is their second cd? I gotta find it!

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I couldn't find this cd at first, because I kept looking under Betty, but it's listed under "Blowtorch!" It's soooooooo WORTH LOOKING FOR!

------------------

DeeJay
    Just heard the bad news that Bianca from Betty Blowtorch was killed in a car accident. This is from KNAC.

Bianca Halstead (a.k.a Bianca Butthole), bassist/singer for Hollywood hard rockers Betty Blowtorch was killed around 5:30am this morning in a car accident in New Orleans. The driver of the car was William McAllister, reportedly a correspondent for Metal Sludge. According to Chris Lee from the New Orleans band Supagroup, who was with Bianca up until she left with McAllister, McAllister and Bianca left the El Matador Lounge near on Decatur Street after a night of post-gig partying with tourmates Nashville Pussy following their gig at the Howlin' Wolf. ?They were driving on the I10 toward Kinner in a ?86 Corvette when McAllister lost control of the wheel and the car spun around. They were sideswiped by another car on Bianca?s side and she was killed instantly. McAllister is be held by New Orleans police and is facing criminal charges. The two passengers in the other car have been hospitalized.? A local news story on the incident reported today that their car jumped the median and swerved into oncoming traffic before being hit. Sources say McAllister appeared inebriated, though Bianca has been sober for 10 years.

According to Lee, the members of Supagroup had dinner with Bianca earlier that evening, closed out the El Matador with a late night of socializing, stopped by a another bar for a minute, and then everyone went their separate ways, with McAllister offering Bianca a ride home.

Throughout the dinner earlier that evening, Bianca told Lee about her troubles with her former bandmates Judy Molish and Sharon Needles, who had left the group high and dry in the middle of the Nashville Pussy tour, taking their van and gear with them. When the duo returned to L.A. they instigated legal action, informing Bianca of a Cease and Desist order that would prevent her from carrying on with the name after their dates with Nashville Pussy, which was to wind down after some Texas shows next week. ?She was really bummed about all that stuff," says Lee.

Bianca played in the band Butt Trumpet in the '80s before forming Betty Blowtorch in the late-?90s. The band released their full-length debut, Are You Man Enough?, early this year through Foodchain Records. Bianca was a hard rocker, a strong woman, and about as nice as they come in the world of rock n? rollers. She was also a longtime friend of this writer and I can assure you she will be missed dearly all.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

DeeJay you're incredible.

------------------

DeeJay

http://www.metal-sludge.com/BiancaEmails.htm
    some nice dedications at this site on Bianca also there was this message

Here's some information we received from Bianca's sister.

There will be an informal memorial service tonight at 7pm at Serious clothing store 7569 Melrose Ave. in Hollywood. She worked at the store and manager Casper is a very close friend. As far as the actual memorial service held by our family, that will be limited to family and friends due to space consideration at the chapel. She will be buried at Hollywood Forever cemetary, as per her wishes so that her friends can visit her, and I will be helping to organize a Memorial benefit to help her mother (my step-mom) with the expenses.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am so sick over this...How sad.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy

I loved Betty Blowtorch. I use to always talk about them on the Joan Jett board.

Though I tried numerous times to see them, I did manage to see them twice, and I'm grateful I got to get the chance to.

I picked up "Are You Man Enough?" the day it came out and wasn't at all disappointed.

I also went to the Serious Clothing memorial- and it was very sad. Texas Terri was there.

------------------