Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just thought I'd let people know about Cherie's LIVE show at the El Mocambo nightclub, here in Toronto on Friday, June 22, 2001. I feel so lucky to have been there to witness it.

Cherie was sporting her long California blond hair and was unafraid to hang out in front of the stage before the show and sign autographs. I met her briefly and she was very sweet. When she signed my Runaways 7-inch picture sleeve, she took the time to do a very beautiful job (not ruining the sleeve, like some musicians do), adding to the sleeve's appeal, which showed her artistic sensibility but also that she's a caring individual. She then gave me a kiss on the cheek which was totally unexpected. But enough about me. What about the show?

It was well worth attending! Will Munroe, the promoter had put together a stellar group of local musicians that could really rock, and you could tell they'd done their homework. There were THREE guitarists which made for a very satisfying rock 'n roll guitar sound. I especially liked the scraping of the guitar strings (on "American Nights" I think) which brought me right back to when I used to listen to my Runaways records all the time.

Cherie was in fine voice and stutted her stuff with confidence. I made sure I was front row centre to see it all. She exudes a powerful, positive sexual vibe that is rarely witnessed from women performers. And yes, she still has all those patent rock 'n roll moves, kicking her feet up, freezing on the beat... that sorta fun stuff. She was wearing a low-cut snakeskin lycra top, tight black pants and black cowbot boots. The woman must work out at a gym because she's got an exceptional body.

The evening is a queer rock night called "Vazaleen" which is a monthly occurrence here in Toronto. The place was packed and I'd venture there were three to four hundred people there. This particular night was in conjunction with Gay Pride 2001 festivities and the mostly queer crowd absolutely adored Cherie. In fact, Cherie was flirting with a transgendered woman (with slight peach fuzz on the upper lip) and the woman playfully stuck her tongue out at Cherie. Later they kissed! By this point, the crowd was going absolutely nuts. Cherie egged us on and encouraged everyone to sing along. I was surprised at how many people knew the lyrics.

To the best of my knowledge the 7-song set list went like this: Queens of Noise, American Nights, Is It Day Or Night, California Paradise, Midnight Music, Cherry Bomb, C'mon and then a repeat of Cherry Bomb with audience members singing onstage with Cherie, including a young woman that was sporting a cherry tattoo identical to the one Cherie has AND on the same shoulder! A picture was taken.

All in all it was a great night, especially given the measly $10 cover charge. Oh, one more thing. Cherie has a habit of exposing her left breast. Is that too much information? Someone did take a photo of this but I'm not sure that it will make it to a website. Do catch Cherie if you get a chance.

[This message has been edited by SdeN (edited June 24, 2001).]

DeeJay

Hey thanks for the great review, its much appreciated.

And as for Cherie flashing her tit...you crazy women! You don't need to do that aka Courtney Love.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the review!
    The show was AWESOME!!!!
    There were actually 610 attendees according to the official club count, but they thought there were probably more. I'm working on getting the pix of the event up, hopefully in the next coupla days. I'll let you now!
    Rock On Cherie! forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, SdeN, great review. Where have you been lately, I've missed you on the Jettboard? How's your own music progressing? Any great gigs lately?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    EXCELLENT review! Post more!

KW

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

Thanks! <blush> I used to post alot at the Jett board until it was shut down. I promise to post when I have cool shtuff to share. And this Cherie show sure was cool, or is that kewl?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ACK! Cherie was in Toronto and I missed her?! Damn, damn, damn, damn! forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Argh! I should've made the drive to Toronto!
    Sounds like a good time was had by all.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am an idiot for missing Cherie(the legend) at the Elmo!
    My Runaways debut Lp was scratched beyond repair and I bought a Japanese CD pressing,but I can`t find "Queens Of Noise" anywhere on CD!
    Does anyone know if it will be or has been reissued?

------------------

I wanna be where the RUNAWAYS are!
    CCCCCherry Bombed!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

There's also a Japanese CD of "Queens of Noise". I bought mine in LA-LA Land many moons ago, but there are a couple for sale at www.gemm.com

Just do a search for "Queens of Noise" as "title". Be sure and read the seller's feedback before ordering though!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I can`t find "Queens Of Noise" anywhere on CD!
    Does anyone know if it will be or has been reissued?
    [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    ***Be Kind To Animals***