I'm sure we're ALL tired of $3 and climbing Gas Prices and we long for the days when we could travel freely without spending a fortune or getting harassed by some Cop with a bug up his fat *** !

Recently I remembered that certain Travel Firms offered the budget minded Traveler Alternative Travel Options such as booking passage aboard a Freighter that took passengers.

Also working as a Courier has its advantages...One group out of NYC called NOW VOYAGER used to allow you one piece of carry on baggage for clothes and ammentities.... Besides whats wrong with a trip to Sukarta or Montevideo to accompany a cargo of Penguin Eggs ?

And remember Hitchiking ? Boy those were the days when you could stick your thumb out and get a ride down the Pike. Of course you had to deal with the Cops and half sane drivers but it was fun.

One Girl I knew used to hitchike everywhere and was'nt afraid of being raped since she had a Black Belt in Karate and used it on a few devious Males.... [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Abbie Hoffmans STEAL THIS BOOK gave some great tips on Thumbing a ride and suggested putting a Canadian Flag on your Backpack to pass yourself off as a Canuck. Also having a sign with EAST or WEST on it instead of a certain destination helped.... :?:

Or you could try the Woody Guthrie method of riding the Boxcar like a well dressed hobo but since 9-11 thats pretty difficult....

RidingRails

I also remember the hearty traveller if at a Truck Stop would be guaranteed a ride from a 18 Wheeler Jockey in exchange for picking up the meal tab at the next stop... -_- Truckers usually on a long haul would appreciate the company and someone to watch the rig & cargo whilst they knocked off for a few ZZZ's or layover....

But unfortunately Insurance regulations put an end to that....

One time back in the 30's when my Dad was Hitchiking across this Once Great Land of ours, he took ride from a guy ferrying a Hearse into Tulsa, OK....Guess where they slept ?

Any other Alternate Travel Tips ?