Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Onward And Upward With Cherie Currie!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep! I had another one of my incredible message board dreams, last night and THIS ONE was a REAL doozy!
    In the dream Cherie, some other board members and I were climbing a peak in Cajon de Arenales, Argentina.

The fearless Ms. Currie was adding this tricky technical rock climb, in the South American Andes, to her string of mountaineering feats. She had already climbed the Matterhorn, Japan's Mount Fuji and Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa but on this climb she was being joined by her totally inexperienced message board friends, for what would prove to be one grueling, albeit exciting, happening, for sure!

As rapid eye movement began, I was close to completing an arduous ascent with Wing Nut and Home Girl, up the unexplored mountainside in this remote region near the border with Chile, more than 640 miles (1,100 kilometers) west of Buenos Aires.

Cherie and the PartyGrrlzzz, having preceded us along the route they'd dubbed the "Charmed Heart Trail," were looking down on us from one of several unnamed plateaus as I lead my team upward, toward them, using only hands and feet to find natural holds in the crevices of the rock!

Beneath us, was team three, consisting of Ellanoize, New York Jettster and Sportyfan, who had just begun their climb from our base camp, where Dawny was preparing her team (Raintown Boy and Tim) to begin their ascent.

I remember thinking it was like another planet, as I took in my surroundings. "Obviously, there are not a lot of places in the world that are so pristine and untouched" I thought to myself but the need to concentrate on the task at hand did not allow me to dwell on the matter, for long. As you may have guessed, it was tough going, all the way!

Aside from her expertise, the only thing setting the one and only Cherie Currie apart from the rest of us, on this trip, was a backpack jammed with medical supplies, which she hoped we would not be needing, on this totally dangerous endeavor.

She had said, the night before, that she wanted to do something significant to widen the image that us Cherie Peeps had developed of her, over the years, and seeing her in action was doing just that, without a doubt.
    Her zeal for mountain trekking and cliff climbing was truly inspirational for us novice mountaineers, who had adopted the salient slogan, "onward and upward" for this unprecidented (herstorical) journey!

When we reached their level the PartyGrrrlzzz were staring up in awe at several peaks towering around a high valley. There were steep rocky slopes never believed to have been touched by climbers before and they were anxious to get moving but, of coarse, we had to wait a while, as teams 3 and 4 made their way up to our level.

After a little brunch, New York Jettster said "let's get going" and we all fell in line to begin what was a near vertical ascent. The group advanced slowly, grabbing toe and fingerholds while placing protective devices in the rocks as Cherie led the, so-called, sharp end of the rope. Along the way, we used pitons and spring-loaded camming devices to inch ever higher. We were very much using our arms, hands and feet to move up the wall and it was, indeed, a challenge going up the unexplored rock face.

Tim was saying something about wishing the routes had already been established but Wing Nut said he preferred charting unknown territory! Needless to say, I was a little concerned, but when I saw Cherie climbing above me, all I wanted to do was follow, no matter what! I thought it was amazing, how well she climbed up that forboding precipice.

Dawny was also instrumental to our success, reciting inspirational quotes, whenever one of us felt that we could not go on!

Sportyfan and Ellanoize had an attitude that was just incredible, joking around and generally giving off really great vibes, even as chunks of rock broke off easily and every toehold and fingerhold had to be taken with extreme care.

When we all finally reached the top of that "Charmed Heart Trail" Raintown Boy presented Cherie with a gold charm, of a woman mountaineer leaping for a peak and grabbing it by one hand. A tiny sparkling ruby represented her heart.

When I asked Cherie what mountain she'll target next, she said she hadn't thought that far ahead. But she added, "I'm going to keep on climbing as long as I can and I hope you'll all be right there with me, every time!"

I gave her two thumbs up and said, with a smile, "onward and upward" my dear friend!
    top2
    Gus Danger (MBD)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm surprised I made it, considering my fear of heights. Still, it shows what one can do when inspired by great leadership. Strangely enough, last week I had my hair cut by an Argentinean hairdresser, and I've just finished reading a book by an Argentinean author. And here's me off climbing mountains in Argentina.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm exhausted just reading this! Next time Gus, pick an easier mountain. Or maybe just some rolling hill thats easy to walk up.
    [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ha! Ha! pretty far out dream there Gus.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Thanks for reading all about my dream, my fellow climberz!
    Who knows what would've happened next, if the alarm clock hadn't intervened!
    [img]graemlins/clock.gif[/img]
    Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I guess you thought I was too old to be climbing that mountain!!!
    Well, I'll have you know, I could've done it just as easily as the rest of you,
    in your dream!!!
    olsparky

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Sorry old feller
    but I have no control
    over whom I dream about!
    climber silhouette
    <font size="1">Gus</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pretty KooL reading sweet-cheekz [img]wink.gif[/img]

Hugzzz and wet sloppy [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img] zzz

The [img]graemlins/party.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/girl.gif[/img] zzz

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Danke shane Meso!!!
    It was an awesome view from my vantage point,
    4 sure!
    [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img]
    Gus

Inactive Member NewYorkJettster's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

WoW Gus~ that is very interesting [img]wink.gif[/img]

And hey MESO what's shaking babe?

See ya tonite at MEluvUlongtimes birthday celebration [img]graemlins/present.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/music.gif[/img]
    it's [img]graemlins/party.gif[/img] time [img]cool.gif[/img]

NewYorkJettster~//o~\\ [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] #3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast