Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Hi Tyme2Play!
    I need to get out my rock and roll encyclopedia. I followed Roger's and David's career but lost track of Gene too! The Byrds were at Monterey while they were still intact weren't they. Isn't that when Crosby gave an impromptu speech about the Kennedy assassination? They really were a great band!
    Later,
    [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
    Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The Byrds were intact until I believe mid '68. It was when a rash of bands began to disband and form other groups...Flying Burrito Bros, Crosby, Stills, Nash, Poco, The Eagles. All this mass amount of talent merging into newly formed super bands. Roger McGuinn tried to keep the Byrds alive involving other members. (The early name for the group was "The Beefeaters" and soon was renamed "The Byrds")

Lets not forget the Souther, Hillman, Furay Band either [img]wink.gif[/img] JD Souther and Richie Furay were one more spin off from the disbanded bands.

Its only Rock n Roll [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Val

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just can't keep up, you guys are a fast crowd.
    I'll switch gears any thoughts on a solid preformer and an excellent debut effort.

"little steven and the disciples of soul"
    Men with out women a nice work.

EllaNoise

Let me skip back a few posts to the one concerning Ruby Starr. I recently bought the King Biscuit Cd of Black Oak and after all these years I also get goose bumps hearing her voice, what a unreconized talent. I saw her perform with Grey Ghost mid to late 70's (Kinda Blurry about dates back then). I still pull out my dusty old pieces of vinyl from time to time and listen to "Keep The Faith" or "Raunch and Roll".... Hey I think i am having a flashback...lol

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, Ella. Who were Grey Ghost? etc. I'm stumped.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Hi EllaNoise,
    Been a while. How ya doing? Ruby Starr rocks!
    Hey charlie c here's an article about Grey Ghost
    http://www.merr.com/users/kline/blackoak.htm
    Catch ya all later!
    [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ruby Starrs first band was "Grey Ghost", which later became "The Grey Band". I first met Ruby when she was discovered by Black Oaks then Manager, Butch Stone. He saw her talent and brought her onboard the Black Oak powerhouse. I met her in the studio during the recording of "Jim Dandy" and we became friends. I kept up contact with her until the early 80's when I lost touch with her. When I heard of her passing of cancer, I couldn't believe it. She had been living in Las Vegas and performing there as a lounge act from what I was told.

I still speak with Joel Williams, her drummer. We had talked about trying to get the Midnight Special episode that they appeared on in 1974. That was with the original Grey Ghost.

I still get chills when I hear her voice, and that cut from King Biscuit. I have ALL the Black Oak and Ruby vinyl.

Val

EllaNoise

We considered BOA local Boys coz they played Roberts Stadium In Evansville so often. If I'm not mistaken Ruby was from Evansville Indiana. I also remember thier Midnight Special episode with Black Oak I also remember the rivalry between Mark (Grand Funk) Farner and Jim about the lenght of thier locks. I Used to work at a little record store in Reseda Called Odds & Sods and I found a Ruby starr Record ( Can't Recall The Name) I Was looking for a Vinyl version of Burnin Whiskey but never had much luck. Sorry... I am rambling on, Just got off work had 2 pull a double shift. Thanks for some wonderful trivia and the flashbacks. I'm gonna fade away tonight but I will rise again...Peace

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Burnin' Whiskey is on the first album, Ruby Starr and Grey Ghost. If you are talkin about Reseda, Calif, that is where Black Oak lived when they came to Calif. In fact, there house was used on their first album cover [img]smile.gif[/img] They lived there through the first two albums, then moved back to Arkansas, which was their dream. When we had the Sylmar Earthquake in 1971, I called out to the house to make sure they were alright, and all I heard was "we're goin' home". Well, they didn't, at least not then [img]wink.gif[/img]

Val

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345