Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello Everyone!

For those who love music and enjoy spending.....a "little" on a monthly basis on music!

As a vinyl/cds 'junkie' myself I would like to know what formats fellow Cherie's fans - and possibly from Cherie herself :-) - consider when buying music.

Do you think the late years development such as Ipods, MP3, MiniDiscs, etc are doing the actual quality of the music a favour?
    DO you think there has been an improvement in the quality of sound or do you miss and prefer the analogue source?

Now strictly speaking of The Runaways and Cherie's albums, do you notice a big difference when listening from a web source download compared to the CD you might have or even the original vinyl?

Personally I prefer the vinyls sound, in fact I keep on buying them. A lot.
    CDs we all know give a crystal clear edge to whatever you are listening to, very handy for playing on the loop without having to go back and forth to your sound system as there is a remote and a button control doing all the features for you.....but it is not the same deal as the piece of plastic, I think.
    Mind you, I buy a lot of CDs on a monthly basis too....shame on me! :-)

I was comparing the other day Midnight Music listened from CD and the vinyl of Queen of Noise I got and then I did the same for the first album.....Girls and Boys, I still prefer the vinyl sound!

With regards to latest technologies in place for music listening, I think they might do us a favour storage wise.....and that's it! I have listened to friends Ipods with very expensive headphones and everything. I thought "what's the fuzz all about?", quality wasn't better at all as many people claim...

I was talking with a musician friend of mine about the difference in recording techniques applied nowdays compared to 30 and 20 years ago. Very interestingly (and sad to me) he said that quite possibly what sound engineers might be doing these days is make the whole sound appealable to Ipods, MP3 users so that it results perfect when listened through those gears. On the other hand upon listening the same piece of music on CD it lacks of something....sort of like a third, forth, fifth dimension as music should be. Or at least good music...

What do you think folks?

:-)

Lory
    xx

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

I remember Ringo Starr saying he liked a little dirt in the mix, when asked about the crystal clarity of CDs!
    I tend to agree! Something originally released on vinyl, usually sounds better to me than the CD re-issue.
    At the same time, remastering can take what was a poor sounding vinyl release and make it sound better.

I was a die-hard vinyl junky. I ended up buying a lot of import stuff that was never released on vinyl in the US and I was on many waiting lists to get one of the limited edition new vinyl releases, when they still did that!

It got to be a real pain but all of those records are collector's items now, so what the heck!

I still buy a lot of vinyl singles from the used (and not abused) stores but very seldom find anything in the LP sections.

I buy way too many CDs but I NEED them, if you know what I mean!

Not into the Ipod stuff. Can't imagine I ever will be.
    Hey isn't that what I said about CDs???

I still have a huge record collection and two working turntables, so I can still listen to them.

See ya on the flipside!
    forums forums
    Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ditto! I have tons of cd's and vinyl, and much prefer hearing the sound of the needle as it touches the record, the brief crackling. I love the grittiness when I hear Cherry Bomb. It just seems that's how its meant to sound. Like garage bands. Am I making sense?

Granted, if I'm listening to Beethoven, I prefer a cleaner sound.

[img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] Michaela

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

Thanks chaps for the answers.........

.......I wonder what's the average age here though LOL
    :-)

I am glad to see that the chore members love vinyl too, well done ladies and gentleman! Way to go!

The **** with those flashy-'anorexic'-gears forcing conventional record stores to shut down to the detriment of quality and esthetics.
    Vinyl are artworks....

Gosh, I am talking too much today!
    Blame it on my 12 hrs sleep, folks ;-))

I have energy to sell today.....and more records to buy!! :-))

Cheers

Lory
    xx

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by GlamUK73:
    Thanks chaps for the answers.........

.......I wonder what's the average age here though LOL
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That depends Lory,
    On if thats, with or without, Gus & Rog included in the average age curve! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Cheers,
    Wingy [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for NOT including me in that with Gus and Rog [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Never M`ick, your just a Babe! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I guess I'll be the one to throw a wrench into the mix. Personally I prefer CD. No matter how hard I tried to keep my records in good shape, they eventually get scratched. Even the minute hiss and pops annoy me. Then there's the fact that what I listen to in the house can now make the trip in the car. As for the ability to go to any track just by pressing a button, well I have that on my record player. It's a Sansui PL-95R auto reverse turntable. A wonderful piece of machinery. Of course trying to find needles nowadays is a bear.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Lory,

I think that age curve just went up. If I'm not mistaken it's SportyFan's Birthday today!!
    Happy 46th Mike [img]graemlins/party.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beer.gif[/img]

Wingy [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Hey Sportyfan!
    That's a great point about being able to listen to CDs in the car.

Tape decks served their purpose but there is nothing like having a CD player right there, in your Rolls Canardly!

Happy Birthday my good man!
    Gettin' up there, huh? It's a good thing us older dudes have an arrested development.

More later Birthday Dude!
    [img]graemlins/cake.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
    Gus

PS Remember folks...if it's too loud..YOU are too old!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast