Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh GAWD, I still love vinyl. I have all of The RUNAWAYS on vinyl and cd, and a few 8 tracks and Joan JETT and The BLACK [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] s on vinly, cd, cassette, and 8 track

[img]cool.gif[/img]

Holy smokes I got a lotta stuff [img]graemlins/music.gif[/img]

I am on my way to UNO's to have some [img]graemlins/pizza.gif[/img] and SALAD and a few of these [img]graemlins/beer.gif[/img]

Have a great day everyone!

[img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh my god ya'll are on my subject now.i've been
    collecting vinyl since i was a child i'm sure
    i've got a least 5 thosand album's although i
    love cd's they can not compete.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I like Music! I have a large collection of Vinyl, Cassettes, and a box of 8-tracks in the closet (wish I had a working 8-track player). I have a wall full of Cd's (pre-recorded as well as burnt.)

To the question at hand, I have to vote for vinyl, Todays Cd's get scratched so easily & the car stereo manufacturers don't really help with an easy & saft loading systems on most units. Burnt Cd's have a short expected lifetime, according to one source, about 5-8 years, yet I play Lp's on a regular basis from the mid 60's, with little or no noticable pops & cracks.

I am now getting older (yesterday was my first birthday & Saturday will be my second one) and I miss the photos and liner notes printed on a big 12x12 cardboard sleeve (poor eyesight ya know.)

rog

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I love vinyl album covers. I know they get reproduced for CDs, but those wee things just aren't the same. The main problem with vinyl is the space. It was fine when I was living on my own - I could stack them anywhere - but now that I share I have to take my other half's sensibilities into account. I still have a collection of favourites that I can't bear to part with, but unfortunately I have an inability to throw away books that I've read, and being an English Literature gradaute there's quite a few of those cluttering up the house as well. Anyway, what's everyone's favourite album covers? Here's a few off the top of my head:

B52s' first album
    Blondie's first album
    Runaways' first
    Ramones first
    New York Dolls' first
    Alice Cooper - School's Out
    David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by ellanoize:
    I have a large collection of Vinyl, Cassettes, and a box of 8-tracks in the closet (wish I had a working 8-track player).
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Believe it or not, I do have a working 8 Track Player Mr. Ella!
    It's a portable plastic thing that runs on batteries but, seeing as how I still have some 8 Track Tapes in my collection, it's nice to know I can play them if I want to.
    Can't imagine wanting to but it's good to know I can anyway, for some reason!
    [img]graemlins/music.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/music.gif[/img]
    Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Now that I have used about a mile and a half of cables and hooked up my turntable, a couple of stereos, VCR as well as tricking my computer by using line out into a broken VCR and then line in back into the computer, I'm a D/L fool. I'm trying to save as many of those old cassettes and video tapes as I can.

You could pick up a 1/8 inch male mini to a 1/8 inch male mini (unless the headphone jack is 1/4 inch) and record your 8Tracks to your computer and eventually to CD. Plug one end of your cable into the headphone out on the 8track player and the other end into the line in or Mic in on the computer.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I picked-up one of these things last month

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...7&ParentId=114

Must say, it's SO much more invaluable than any crummy iPod out there! Since it uses SD flash-memory cards ($20 for a 2Gig card from Staples), can pack 3-hours of music as 24-bit WAVs on a single card! Remember from the link above, uncompressed WAVs, so this thing records frequencies beyond human hearing range! With such "full" sound, compressed & formatted MP3's just sound like garbage to me now. No such thing as a 'muddy' concert recording ever again!

MP3's are a bane to musicians. I've noticed some "artists" currently releasing songs in a compressed format, although the prime-format for CDs is a WAV. Guess it's just so when people rip copies of their music to iPods, it'll sound the same; bad.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As a musician, i prefer a little dirt in the mix myself. Though i prefer to think of it as *heart and soul*

I have a TASCAM 424 Portastudio for recording my original material on, it uses the type II Hi-bias cassette format.. yeah, not high tech, but man it makes for some nice rock n roll recordings.

Finding those cassette is not easy, but i have amassed a pile of them [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Gus wrote:
    Tape decks served their purpose but there is nothing like having a CD player right there, in your Rolls Canardly!

Gus, sometimes you hurt me (yet I'm laughing) You might not be referring to the same movie I instantly thought of, but now my head is repeating the line, "All around the world, rock and roll is here to stay..." while picturing an obese alien with a fetish for impersonations dancing around the couch. Considering my only copy of The Explorers ate itself a long time ago, I have to suffer with this until something else comes along. And I STILL want a spaceship of my own.

Anyway, as far as vinyl vs. cds etc, it depends on what mood I'm in. I've grown used to my cds and let's face it, if I put a turntable behind my drums it would skip relentlessly. But sometimes, when I still had a working turntable, I just liked to lay back and listen to the soft side of the Dog and Butterfly album. There's just something about it that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I just feel fortunate that I still got a few years with vinyl before cds showed up, although no one ever believes that I really wanted that Debbie Gibson album I got for my birthday. I'm happily eclectic.

And I hate mp3s. They always seem to be missing something to me. Of course when I'm at work with no cd player, they come in awfully handy and I've loaded the iTunes with stuff to make the days go faster. But I will never buy an iPod. Someone would have to give me one for me to use it I think and I might not even then. Not so much because I'm against the iPod, but just because the darn thing is so small. That's one thing about turntables, you can SEE it from across the room. Makes me feel more like I actually own it I guess.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Chrys Stylle:
    Gus wrote:
    Tape decks served their purpose but there is nothing like having a CD player right there, in your Rolls Canardly!

Gus, sometimes you hurt me (yet I'm laughing) You might not be referring to the same movie I instantly thought of, but now my head is repeating the line, "All around the world, rock and roll is here to stay..." while picturing an obese alien with a fetish for impersonations dancing around the couch. Considering my only copy of The Explorers ate itself a long time ago, I have to suffer with this until something else comes along. And I STILL want a spaceship of my own.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'll try harder Chris! LOL!
    [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img]
    Gus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12