Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Dixie Chicks : Not Out Of The Woods Yet !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you don't like The Dixie Chicks, thier music or their political views or the way they look...Do you know the best way to teach them a lesson?

Ignore them! Quit spending so much time searching for anti Chicks propaganda, and find something positive.

The above opinion is mine, Mine alone.

My Name Is ROGER!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Roger I have a question for you. Is is okay if I too agree with your opinion?
    Let me Know
    Dawn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok Dawn, For you, I'll share [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

reminds me of the old waylon and willie song, ; dont ever cuss that fiddle boy ,unless you want that fiddle out of tune, that picker there in trouble , aint nothing but another side of you,if we ever get to heaven boys ,it aint because we aint done nothin wrong, we're in this gig together, so lets settle down and steal each others songs!think both sides should listen to that song.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Well, I for one am Dixie Chicked out! Information overload BIG time! [img]confused.gif[/img]

Hey I know....let's bash Dennis Miller and Ron Silver now. The formerly popular Hollywood stars who drove their fans away by becoming Bush Cheerleaders who seemed he||bent on distinguishing themselves from their liberal co-workers. Disgusting behavior reigned as they scrambled for facetime with their new found chums, Shawn Hannity, Ann Colter, etc. etc. etc, every chance they got.
    Hey...911 changed everyone but it turned those two bigmouthed losers into total backstabbers, IMO!

Looks like Net Zero finally got the message and dropped Miller. I hope my complaints, as a subscriber, helped that happen.

I can't believe I used to like those guys!
    [img]graemlins/film.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/guy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/guy.gif[/img] [img]frown.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_down.gif[/img]
    Gus

Inactive Member SouthwestRanger's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Understanding Duncie Chicks

June 25, 2006

BARRETT KALELLIS

Washington Times

Excerpts:

My teenage son came home from school recently and was upset that in one of his classes the teacher invited the students to solicit from their classmates opinions on "what they didn't like about the president of the United States."
    Aside from the lese majeste inherent in this assignment, the response of his classmates was revealing. One student said there should be a law to prevent the government from "making war on other countries." Another flatly claimed George W. Bush was "trying to take over the world." A third said the war in Iraq was "pointless," with the observation "Uncle Sam is frowning." A skateboarder with spiked hair would not stand during the Pledge of Allegiance, announcing he "hated all countries."
    As disconcerting as these responses are -- made by ill-informed and rebellious teenagers -- they are cut from the same cloth as the infamous remark of the Dixie Chicks' Natalie Maines during a 2003 concert tour in England, when she announced "we're ashamed that the president of the United States is from Texas."

Miss Maines has since offered a half-hearted apology, then reversed course and reaffirmed her, and I presume the group's, dislike of Mr. Bush, despite claiming to have received death threats.

On their most recent album, they include a song called "Not Ready to Make Nice," yet another defiant poke in the eye.

In TV interviews, the Chicks next tried to make the point they have "outgrown their country audience" and have moved into mainstream pop-rock -- a dubious, divisive and needless posture, since it jeopardized important tour bookings this summer.

A significant number of U.S. venues already have been canceled, and they had to fill in with concerts abroad, where their anti-Bush nose-thumbing seems to play well.

Like my son's peers in high school, the impetus seems to be merely a desire to attitudinize, to epater le bourgeois, rather than advance a serious discussion of issues. In fact, when the Dixie Chicks venture into such discussions during interviews, they reveal their overall political ignorance to the point of looking foolish.

But artists and performers have long experience preening themselves and their attitudes to their fans and the general public. Armed with little understanding, or subtlety of perception, they blurt out their latest crazy or outrageous thoughts to the world, in the vainglorious delusion people might take them seriously. In fact, the only ones impressed are other members of the choir of the converted.

More pathological are celebrities who take political postures, and are used by clever politicians who bask in the reflected glow of sympathetic ideologies. Barbra Streisand, Adam Baldwin, Susan Sarandon, Richard Dreyfuss, George Clooney and Jane Fonda need only let thoughtless inanities drip from their lips, whereupon bottom-feeding reporters lap it up and broadcast them to the world.

Politicos needing public attention and cash have found a truly nourishing mother within the media celebrity complex.

They might as well troll the nation's high schools for ideas, because like my son's classmates, the level of critical thought is about the same.

Inactive Member SouthwestRanger's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lesson from the Chicks

Thursday, June 22, 2006 - Bangor Daily News << Back

The Dixie Chicks, a well-known country music trio, are heading into a tough season. But their story carries a useful lesson for the United States.

First, what's happened to the Chicks? After successful appearances on "60 Minutes" and the cover of Time magazine, they have had to postpone at least half of the 42 dates scheduled for their domestic concert tour starting July 21 because of poor advance sales. As the Wall Street Journal put it, "Dixie Chicks May Lay Egg With U.S. Tour."

Their trouble began when their lead singer, Natalie Maines, told a British interviewer in 2003 that they were "ashamed" that President Bush comes from their home state of Texas. Another problem has been changes in their music style in search of a wider audience.

Then came cracks about mainstream country music fans, calling them "a bunch of rednecks" and saying, "We don't want those kinds of fans. They limit what you can do." [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Other music groups have sounded off against the Bush administration and still flourished. The Chicks have tried to capitalize on their political jibes and their snarling style, but they have alienated much of their American audience. The lead single in their new album, "Not Ready to Make Nice," has drawn widespread protests and has rarely been aired here.

But what has largely flopped in this country has gone over big abroad. "Not Ready to Make Nice" is a mainstream hit in Germany, Scandinavia, Britain and Australia, according to the Journal. On their Web site, the Chicks are saying, "We will go where the fans are, with great anticipation and no regrets." A new schedule is expected to take them to Canada, Europe and Australia.

The Chicks' experience may reflect the impact of Bush administration behavior on America's reputation in the world.

Its occupation of Iraq, its legalistic justification for the torture of prisoners, its unilateral abrogation of international agreements on human rights, its announced policy of preemptive warfare - all of these have combined to plunge this country's reputation to a new low.

This is most noticeable, according to a new Pew study, in countries such as Britain and Germany, where the Chicks are doing so well.

Now no music group can be a sole measure of American actions and policies. Neither can foreign music audiences. But it is worth noticing that American musical groups that are not making nice to the administration receive such a welcome reception in other countries.

http://www.bangornews.com/news/templates/?a=136255

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345