Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I used to smoke in high school and grew up with both parents smoking. My dad is 71 and still smokes unfiltered cigs everyday and i helped my mom quit with patches. Your kids buying expensive patches is enough of a guilt trip to help you fight it. That combined with my mom and both sisters developing asma. Dad smoked since he was 12 yearsold and probably always will.We had two houses on our farm and i stayed with grandmother in other house so i wasnt exposed to the smoke and am the only living child without asma!If you cant quit for yourself, then quit for us! We need you too!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I also lost a grandfather and a great uncle to emphysema and my dad has the beginnings of it. I lost one favorite classmate to it a couple years ago.Now i find out today another friend was found dead at the ripe old age of 36 by his wife so this close knit family of theirs will be without a father and i think he smoked or used to.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Raintownboy......
    wow.... that hit home.
    Thanks for all the support here.
    Love you all!!!!
    Cherie

<font color="#007FFF" size="1">[ January 23, 2008 04:08 PM: Message edited by: CHERIECURRIE ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

We love you too Cherie!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by CHERIECURRIE:
    Wanted you all to know that this is my tenth day without them. Can't tell you how much better I feel. They have been a struggle for years... everyday knowing that they had to go but what a nagging addiction! They are worse then anythng I've encountered.
    I'm using the patch and they work very well!
    So come on all you people still on the cigarette train!! Time to ditch those puppies and get on with a better, cleaner and more satisfying life!
    If I can do it.. ANYONE can!!!!
    Looking forward to seeing my son be all he can be.. this way the cards are not stacked against me!
    Special thanks to Dr. David Law (Lungman) for all his support!
    Love ya David!!
    xx [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img]
    Cherie

<font color="#007FFF"><font size="1">[ July 01, 2007 08:56 PM: Message edited by: CHERIECURRIE ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well first of all my apologies for not posting here often but I do pop in from time to time and say hello.... okay so it usually follows watching the Foxes DVD or listening to the Runaways but hey that is okay too.

Congrats on quitting smoking!

I had started when I was 14 or 15 years old and ended up smoking about 12 or 13 years. When I quit I was smoking 2 packs a day and sometimes more when stressed out over something.

I started to not feel so good and noticed a little cough periodically during the day. Not like a cough but kind of a quarter cough which people seemed to know I was doing and never said anything.

Anyway I got annoyed by cigarettes one day after several times of trying to quit and just quit.

That was January 14th 2001 at about 7pm ET .... weird how one remembers that stuff, most smokers remember the date they quit.

So I quit cold turkey, no patch or gum or anything. i am so glad that worked for you.

I used bowls of lifesavers (maybe literally lifesavers?). When i felt a bad craving and was all jittery i would go run it off in a field near my house. This being winter it meant running around freezing to death in the snow but it worked.

After a couple of weeks the physical craving was gone, the mental craving was there for a few weeks more and sometimes i would reach into my shirt pocket for a pack of cigarettes that had been gone for a few months.

Once in a while that happened for a year or so and it wasn't a craving or anything. just a habit and it made me laugh knowing I had beaten it.

I, like you, thought i would be the last one on Earth to quit and figured I would be a smoker until death. The thought of being one of those people you see pushing an oxygen tank in one hand with a cigarette lit in the other just seemed so ugly and humiliating.

I sincerely hope you have at this point completely conquered it.

Anyone else here still smoking keep trying to quit ... one day your mind will play a trick on you and actually make it happen.

Also when i quit cigarettes were about $2.00 a pack or something and now they are inasanely outrageously priced. I get a nice feeling driving by a gas station and seeing the prices placed out front for smokers to read. I know how much money i am saving by not smoking.

Quitting smoking was the most difficult thing i have ever done and i am very proud about doing so.

Congrats Cherie, best wishes. being not long after quitting realize you will not have you full lung capacity back for about a year or so. Of course everyone is different but that is what it was for me. I play ice hockey often and the difference is astounding after quitting.

My favorite thing about not smoking is how good food tastes now and how wonderful that coffee i thought I could never drink without having a butt with it tastes now too.

I can smell things that I had lost the sense of when smoking.

Anyway awesome deal for anybody who quits!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well I just read that you started back up again. i did not see it till I made the above post.

In any case keep trying. You will make it I swear it!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Hi Megatrends!
    Been quite a while since you you were hereabouts!

I'm glad you were able to kick that smoking habit. I know it ain't easy but it can be done!
    The rewards are well worth the effort!

Welcome back dude!
    [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
    Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by gus danger:
    Hi Megatrends!
    Been quite a while since you you were hereabouts!

I'm glad you were able to kick that smoking habit. I know it ain't easy but it can be done!
    The rewards are well worth the effort!

Welcome back dude!
    [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
    Gus
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well thanks. I make it a point to pop in once in a while lolz.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I still smoke, and will continue to. Everyone I know/knew who quit have died. Perhaps if I keep-up the nicotine dosage, will just konk-out one day, rather than lingering with a long drawn-out debilitating disease.