Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, they say the 3rd time is a charm so here goes...David, when you played the psychopathic characters in the so-called trilogy (Last House, House on Edge of Park, and Hitchhike), how much of it was summoned from within you and how much did you take from what was in the culture around you? I know that Manson was very much in the news at the time "Last House" was being made, and I wonder if you incorporated anything from people like that? (I know Ms. Rain's character was named "Sadie" ala Susan Atkins perhaps?). Psychopaths of that stripe weren't as ubiquitous then as they are now, but they were certainly in the news at the time and I'm wondering if they had any effect of your characterization? Or was it completely a self-invention?
    Thanks,
    Ed T.
    PS- I was thinking about it and wondering if my previous question regarding your kids and your influence regarding their artistic ambitions was too intrusive and personal? If it was, I apologize.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sure they did! I guess I'm a naive optomist. I believe that some kind of redeeming quality can be found in even the most darkest of personalities. That's what I always look for when I play a baddie and I'll continue to do so. We can't help but be influenced by the media...it's endemic. What we can do is show the horror/sociopathic behavior in such a way that people are turned off by it. This to me at the core level is anti-violent. I don't know what else to say. I play baddies because that's what I get cast as, but it's not my life and it's not me. Granted we need to find a way of doing away with all types of violence, but isn't it better to present it, study it, depict it in the long run, rather then push it under the rug and pretend that it doesn't exist at all? A life long question for me! As for asking about my kids...go for it! They read the message board from time to time and if they're interested in the question will probably answer it themselves. They're all pretty independent. I guess the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree, but what does that leave them with...hopefully their own paths, as creative and a bit easier then mine.
    David