Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Last House gets 3 Disk Uncut Release in the UK plus newly found footage!!!!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Got this last week but haven't had time to post. I watched the proper film and the transfer looks pretty good. I haven't had a chance to A/B it with the previous UK release or the US version so I can't comment on which is the best. My initial reaction was that it looked the same as the first UK set (with the restored cuts obviously). The new footage is mostly lesbian oral sex. The quality isn't great, very dark and murky looking. Oddly, even though Last House was shot on Super 16, a native widescreen format, this footage is presented in full screen. No idea why that is. I'll have to ask Roy about that. Disc three is kind of puzzling. I wasn't familiar with Going to Pieces before going in. Although it's a decent enough glance at the 80's slasher films, it's connection to LHOTL is tenuous at best, making it's inclusion here kind of strange. Basically, if you want the lesbian footage now then this is recommended. If you can wait and already have the earlier dvds, there's nothing else particularly essential about this package.

Inactive Member Slyboneinstlouie's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for your thoughts on that! Based on your feelings plus the fact that I've heard that a new US version is supposed to surface early in '09, I think I'll hold off on this one right now, although I'll still keep it in my amazon.uk wishlist. I'm wondering if the supposed new US version will be a direct port from this version, or maybe close enough. Thanks again for posting on this!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yep, the US release is February 24. Have you seen the specs yet? It's a slightly scaled down port of the extras from both UK releases. So, nothing new here either but nice for anyone that owns the original MGM disc and hasn't yet seen the extras on the imports. I think I'll be able to skip this one unless they finally use the original poster art, in which case I'll think about it. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No, I haven't seen the specs yet, although I've looked for them on several sites including MGM's own DVD site and Amazon as well as some other online retailers, but I can't come up with anything. Do you have a link to the site that you've seen with the specs?

It's good to see that Last House is still available to a pretty wide audience after all these years. It seems like they're not allowing it to stay out-of-print for long, which is great.

On a semi-related subject, I wish that some label would issue a newer version of HOTEOTP. The current Media Blasters version is good in regard to interviews with the major players, but I wish we had one that had audio commentary (or commentaries) from David, Ruggero and Giovanni, and a soundtrack CD would be great as well. Oh boy, I'm really full of wishful thinking today!

Please let me know if you have a link on specs, and thanks again for the info!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks again!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here you go:

? Audio commentary with actors David Hess, Marc Sheffler and Fred Lincoln
    ? A Wes Craven featurette
    ? Celluloid Crime of the Century featurette
    ? Scoring Last House featurette
    ? Tales that Will Tear Your Heart Out featurette
    ? Deleted Scene: Mari Dying at the Lake
    ? Never-before-seen outtakes
    ? Wes Craven's annotated shooting scripts
    ? Photo Gallery

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news...ws.php?id=8448

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

And I thought the cover to the first MGM disc was bad... Terrible, just terrible.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=69416

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You said it, that is the lamest cover ever. No one in the film even wears blacks gloves (to my recollection) nor tries to keep someone quiet by covering their mouth. That's pure profit-driven BS. That aside, I am curious about the Wes Craven featurette (new maybe?) and some of the other features which may or may not be on the new R2 DVD. I guess I'll have to wait to see what the street price is once it comes out or maybe score a used copy on eBay or Amazon.

BTW Avantodd, I know what the box art on the new R2 DVD looks like, but what does the artwork on the actual 3 discs look like? Also, does it have a booklet at all? If so, is it at all extensive? Thanks in advance!

<font color="#007FFF" size="1">[ November 18, 2008 07:01 PM: Message edited by: slybonethetownie ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, a digipak slides out with the same cover art as the front and it unfolds to show the famous picture of Krug, Sadie, and Weasel from a low angle - the same picture David used for the cover of the first press of the soundtrack cd. The first disc has Mari in the water right when she's shot. The plastic disc holder is clear and the same pic is underneath the plastic (so that the disc picture fits into the complete image when in place). Disc two is Phyllis and Mari, gagged and tied, being led into the woods with the same style disc holder. Disc three has a picture of Jason (!) with a split shot of Krug/Sadie and the rape scene underneath the plastic holder. Really nice packaging overall. No booklet this time though.

The only thing I'm interested in with the new MGM disc is the possible inclusion of the full script(s). But until I know better, I'll assume it's just going to be a port of the excerpts they used on the first UK set. I should look into this, but I'm too lazy. [img]graemlins/sleepy.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all of that info! It does sound like some nice packaging. I'm starting to think that I might have to change my mind again and go ahead and get the 3 disc version, even though I have already double-dipped. Hell, before it's over I might be quadruple-dipping! I'm guessing that the new MGM artwork must be geared towards getting new younger fans to purchase. I'll bet that the back of the box probably doesn't have any actual screenshots from the film either since that might give away the films age to any new potential purchasers. Even though I personally love the movie, I've gotta think that a younger person who might buy it based on the new MGM artwork will be very disappointed with the film, even though they shouldn't be. Most younger horror fans that I know are very fickle when it comes to films that looked "dated".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast