Thread: David's musical training/influences.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yesterday I was cleaning my apartment and listening to the "Last House" soundtrack and certain tracks got me thinking about David's musical training and or influences. In particular I noted the dinner music scene and the instrumental flourishes in "Coat of Many Colors" because both pieces seem to have some prominent classical influence. Can David or anyone else here comment on that?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I hear so many different musical influences in David's music. A lot of types of music that I'm actually not into, but they all come together well although David's vocals are what I love the most. I loved the music in Last House before I even realized it was his, so I'm not biased. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I loved the music in "Last House" immediately and I didn't realize the first couple of times I saw it the score was by the main baddie! In fact, he inhabited his character so well it came as a shock to me to learn this seemingly scary guy could compose such an eloquent score. I love all of David's music as a matter of fact. Thanks to "Last House" I've been inspired to seek out his other music and the guy's rather brilliant.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've always found that the soundtrack either enhances the effect of a particular film or detracts from it. It's hard to explain why; perhaps it's a purely subjective thing. LHOTL is a great illustration of this. The soundtrack is an intergral part of that film, and serves to heighten the drama and tension of what occurs on the screen. Tarantino's "Reservoir Dogs" is another example of a successful blending of soundtrack music as an accompaniment to the on-screen action. "Easy Rider" isn't a film that's aged well but the photography is beautiful, as is the soundtrack (how can you go wrong with Hendrix?). Of course, the complete opposite can happen as well. Scorcese is an unqualified genius and "Goodfellas" is definitely a classic film, but it seems as if Scorcese tries to cram every popular song he can remember onto the soundtrack. Because of Scorcese's talent, the distracting effect of the soundtrack is negligible, but it's still there. Unfortunately, there are more hacks at work in the film industry today than people of Scorcese's skill, and all one may remember of a particular film is its soundtrack. It's a thin line, I guess. I've noticed less accomplished film-makers, particlarly of the mainstream Hollywood variety, will use music to make up in part for what's lacking on the screen.
    Notice the ubiquitous Motown songs used in commercials to sell beer or cars. Or an early Rolling Stones song used in the latest teen sex comedy. Or Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl"...well, you get the idea.
    Ed T.