Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Here's a couple of new David Hess interviews!!!
    But...they're in Dutch! Very cool photo grabs tho!

http://www.phantasmagoria.nl/html/in...avid_hess.html

http://www.phantasmagoria.nl/html/hitch_hike.html

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Babelfish translation...fascinating. It removed quotes and messed up the paragraphs, but still veddy veddy interesting!

David Hess Interview:

On the occasion of the DVD recensie of "Hitch Hike" Phantasmagoria on Monday 23 spoke augusts 2004 with the man behind the fatal psychopaten Krug Stillo ("charge house on the Left"), Alex ("house on the Edge or the park") and Adam Konitz ("Hitch Hike"): the renowned David hoarse therefore! And the first impression which we get state haaks on the picture which can arise after examining the films which turned him into cultfiguur. Good-natured and records lijken hoarse do think key words and David in nothing of its this way crediblely put down dark personages. Fortunately but! Reassured entirely we fire the first question on him.

What does he himself find of the fact that genre-fans know simply that a film will be always enriched with David hoarse with in-en-in will be depraved a criminal, a waanzinnige psychopaat? Is he proud on that image or is ashamed himself he? In each film in which I played I am not the ultimate bath guy (hoarse played in more than 30 films). But I get where your gone wants. I consider it as discovering mijzelf, how far can I go, how maliciously can I be? It is as an experimenting in psychosis. I find it not annoying that journalists and fans return always on the well-known triad. People who know me really as a actor know that I have made more than the three notorious films, "charge house on the Left", "house on the Edge or the park" and "HitchHike". Moreover in my opinion none absolute, definite version of good exists or wrongly and each bath guy, also in real life there, has in my opinion hidden good sides, even persons as Manson for example... has its schrijfsels in which he discusses deeper its inner self read?

Ehm, no David, not yet, but perhaps come that still. Does he think that limited in the roles that he has offered him to the image of ultimate slechterik got? Of course that image has had impact, positively or negatively that weet I not. But the most important products you if actor is assessed on are you box-office value, yourself potential generate money, one does not look at or hardly to your brio. For me undoubtedly new roles come, then I trust. To be first role in "charge house on the Left" where he the brutal gang LEADER puts down Krug Stillo are at least memorable, just like the film himself. Were cast and crew itself at the time aware of the fact that they worked for a revealing film?

That question me is frequently keen. I do not think that someone of the cast then already doorhad where we were busy, who we wrote filmgeschiedenis. It was a group inexpert beginners, enthusiastic debutanten, with an enormous friendship on the set. Even Wes (Craven, the regisseur) did not have at the time probable that "charge house on the Left" would become this way important and influential. What many horrorfans perhaps do not know is that David started hoarse its career in music, in the first place as type-setter songwriter. In that quality he worked among other things for Elvis Presley and stalemate Boone and later he also still some solo-albums would incorporate. But in spite of all he chose that success in the muziek-industrie in 1972, for film and acts, and in Wes Craven's notorious debuutfilm "charge house on the Left". What did decide him at the time venture the gok and as a actor it to try?

he destiny? I believe that this way now and then a decision for your is taken, I am there therefore a beetje ingerold. What certainly also took part in is that the music industry is true there you a lot rapidly burns up. Moreover I am be really ietwat timidly and on mijzelf and hou I of it not this way for constant on gone and action for large groups people. And how was it with young Wes Craven work? Tjonge, which question me is frequently put therefore REAL. But I find it not annoying answer once again him hear. In spite of that I him sees not frequently more I consider him still as a friend. I find however that he has not used its complete potential unfortunately and moreover not faithful has remained to its former conviction. When I made "Swamp Thing" (1982) with him he component of the damned system had unfortunately already become...

As Alex in "house on the Edge or the park" went David hoarse still a step further. How does he react to critici who find that that film much goes too far and pure exploitation is that floats on a dangerous mix of voluntary sex, verkrachting and brutally violence? [ resolutely ] I do not react there generally in whole to! It is simply the reality, it is a reflection of a certain facet of reality. There is always a reason that such a film is made, a risky to real life. Character development is important for me and it is, what concerns my personage, a discovery travel to the depths of the psyche. It is moreover a skilled made film, technically seen sticking out.

I feel myself in such cases as a matter of fact total not called to justify or defend me. How I do it as people, for that I use other criteria and criteria, among other things my family. Moreover is I it moreover with the label ` horror that is stuck not always once on these films. THE BBFC (British film testing) found the film clearly, however, in the category horror fall David, and the UK DVD release of "house on the Edge or the park" have even completely cut to waste, no less than 12 minutes sneuvelde on the snijtafel of the censor... [ astonished ] He? 12 seconden nevertheless? 12 Minutes!?! Ehm, yes, you are right. I knew it no longer exact, I hou this honestly said all not this way. But it is and remains no less than stupide! THE BBFC have no knowledge of matter, it are simply kruideniers who according to the notebook and without only creativity work to go.

Okay, da's clear David... therefore we as kijkers have no need for an institute such as the BBFC that concerning us watches and us protect outside world and those narrow, malicious films against the boze? [ violently ] NO! I find that censors have no legitimacy! They prevent people take knowledge of the dark side of the existence. It considers as an exploration of dark that walks, of psychosis. What is with that wrong? Angry can be developed just like good and illuminated. A film must be seen such as the regisseur it meant...

Exact. I can present myself that Ruggero of this also good am fed up. At this moment a link is tried there lay between a recent assassination in United Kingdom and playing a video game (Manhunt). What thinks David concerning the suggested link between violence on the baffle (film, video or games) and violent behaviour? There such does a link exist? No therefore! I do not believe absolutely that there such a link exists. I have as a matter of fact absolutely no respect for institutions such as the BBFC. They block a component of the search for a lot of kijkers in fact to identity. Moreover its liefhebbers of this type frequently exceptionally lived films to my experience, at the most they see civilised and intelligent individuals [ laughing ] there sometimes what snoozes from...

"Hitch Hike" came as a pleasant surprise for us. The film aims not particularly on (showing) physical violence but must it more has of the psychological tension between the three personages in the car. To did this interesting shift of accent offer him with regard to acts extra possibilities? Nou, all called films contain in my opinion a psychological violence component. But indeed, Hitch Hike are exactly even differently. Not in lowest because of the fact that there beside mijzelf two real ASTRE took part in, free Nero (among other things "Django", "Massacre Time" and "Keoma") and Corinne Clery (among other things "Histoire d'O" and "Moonraker"). Regisseur Campanile looked moreover for what extra's, he was a real intellectual who wrote among other things interesting books also some. He continued building on the well-known concept and ensured that Hitch Hike effective meerlagig became. My character (Adam Konitz) has been linked at several levels with the other personages. That ongoing tension is at issue.

Incorporated in an interview as extra on the DVD tells hoarse that "Hitch Hike" are of its favoriete films. Is this because of the fact that its personage in that film what is more complexly and more developed? Or because of the pleasant environment on the set? [ positively ] absolutely! Adam are the character which is most developed and real is in contact with with its emotions. The environment on the set differed probably real of other films where I in played but Hitch Hike had not been written simply better and that made the experience more pleasant. On the set am I moreover absolute no loner but enjoy I the contacts with my colleague actors, what they do in real living and he who they are real. That is a pluspunt of my job and really joins what to the work.

During the prerecording of vecht-sc?ne for "Hitch Hike" did not run it such as would have and a vuistslag of Franko Nero led to a broken nose at David hoarse. Although... Nero themselves minimise the incident and say that David exaggerate. What happened there now real? Free me touched rockly-hard and my nose cracked and break...! Free and I am still always friends but then break he therefore real my nose, what he of it now also says. I think that it is the debt of the stuntco?rdinator, the fighting took place in rocky surroundings and we had repeat something of 20 time to the scene! The law of the large numbers dictates that that must go once wrong. Was none then used stuntlui for this scene?

No, no stuntlui were used. It is a part of my work and I find that if you weet where you are, then use you no stuntlui! That raises reality quality. Look for example to Steve McQueen, which did nearly already its stunt with cars and engines themselves. [ grimly, but with a knipoog ] and moreover: Free and I am alfa-mannetjes! We fight it itself, however, from! Moreover I find still that each possibility to to act must be exploited by me. Me does not decrease acting, [ with emphasis ] I go myself if need be to the limit of my am possible! In of the special features on the DVD David discuss hoarse the ongelukje and even state expressly that it was of substantial importance for him. We zoeken the most interesting quote still even: Until that moment I was rather violent persoon"... our question am therefore: on which manner that incident him has then changed and how violent was he?

[ ominous silence ] Hmmm, perhaps the quote from its link are jerked. [ long-term are silent ] but OKAY, admitted, I have still violent toe zen in me. And that will leave, however, never, sits in me. What I then, however, properly realised am that I always myself must keep the control and me can let drag never. Control is essential. In spite of the pulverisen nose the environment on the set was apparently terrible. Was a this characteristic of Italian productions? Were the working circumstances a lot, in comparison with American productions, differing? [ laughing ] Haha! On Italian sets was there generally nothing! There was as not even speak something like that as ` working circumstances. There was no food, you had no trailer. Was yes there a type of trailer which you had share with everyone. Your wax real component of the total crew, one large family. No poespas therefore. And that is such as I the ` t dear has. Because how more poespas how further you touch removed of the nature of the filmmaken.

Contemporary horrorfilms. Is it still what? [ doubting ] Hmmm. I have as much as seen a couple... One tries renew especially by bordering to look up and that to exceed. And the sudden interest of Hollywood in the genre, leading to re-makes of klassiekers. This is a favourable development or perhaps even does mean it the end of horror as a rebel under the genres? Hollywood are a master in again inventing the wheel. There is what concerns that none better. Hollywood stand right to MONEY, it is not this way that one is good make films from, one is from as much money as possible deserve [ with emphasis ] for that has I in the whole no respect.

Perhaps Hollywood underestimate the American public by stating that films with subtitles simply and Americans cannot original not getting... Is correct. One tries keep America stupidly. Eventually it will work, and Hollywood will be punished hopelijk for that attitude. Always large films and block bus-delicate will be, but the power lies eventual at public: that can will look at decide no longer to such films. Does he himself look at many films? That depends of it. Sometimes I look at there much behind each other, and then for a long time nothing. Independent productions address me most. And are own films?

Hear yes, this way now and then I copy to my own films, and sometimes astonish myself I then or them did question I me for which I did the things then such as I. Where I as a matter of fact, however, denounce to have is TV, it makes terribly people this way liability and blunts in the long run totally. Only for sport I beginning the thing. What do do the multi-purpose David hoarse the day kindest, do act today, do produce or to compose? With which projects does occupy himself he? I think that I am blessed with certain brio in several areas and they are me all even lief! Eventually is me the creativity for at issue. What I sometimes, however, cumbersome find is once the creative part of a project has been wound up: then I am the control lost and rest me nothing else then hetvolgende that is in preparation.

At this moment there several projects run, under other one a documentary concerning steel-drums and a small film in which will play of my zoons and will look after they moreover the soundtrack. It is a film concerning a man and a woman voorleven whom in search is of a new reason. It is a small personal project but all projects are me dear and take I seriously. Moreover I am busy with a new CD and in Germany one wants bring out old material of me again. Probably I will look after thus a small tournee. On the Internet Movie database we can read that David play a role in the still to appear "Curse or the Beast". What is the status of that film? There still is tried get this project of the ground but I have seen even script still no! It is provisionally still in productionproduction production. Phantasmagoria are meanwhile by the questions gone and it becomes time take farewell. That does not happen before David hoarse still just as the stereotype obtains picture of the American stupid with regard to geographical knowledge from under. He weet exactly where the Netherlands just still lies and was in Amsterdam ("particular leuke, wild city") and Haarlem ("very beautiful"). The musical, sympathetic film-psychopaat David hoarse. You can him run also in this chilly kikkerlandje therefore zomaar against the lijf...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

And here's the Hitchhike review....

Hitch Hike (1977)

Actors:

David hoarse, free Nero and Corinne Clery

Control:

Pasquale Festa Campanile

Genre:

Remaining: Psychological, revenge

For the (Nero) and Eve Mancini (Clery) are holidaying and make a tour with their caravan by desolate, rough nature of California and Nevada. But the poll is not very lively and the pair quarrels nearly constant concerning of everything and nogwat. Probably only for the state to irritate Eve that a hitchhiker (hoarse) stands that with panne on the side, is picked up. Foutje...

Intro (accompanied by western a soundtrack of maestro Ennio Morricone) gives a nice impression of the proportion between for the and Eve. They can each other shoot, however. Litteral. During a hunting sniffing in the mounts takes for the its something verderop current woman in the sight... eventually nevertheless but to choose for cutting down a stag. Later extremely a bone, ponderous for the itself alcoholic show who offends its woman with much pleasure and sexually intimidates. That Campanile on the exploitation toer will be continue in that first couple minutes also glashelder as the tastily formed Clery right already with some violence from the kleren be helped for the.
    It cumbersome a stamp is press on "Hitch Hike" that several combine subgenres tries. Groezelige exploitation, roadmovie, psychological thriller, revenge: it zit all. That actoractor actor hoarse plays an important role arouses hopes naturally at the kijker who is confessed with its work (among other things"charge house on the Left" from 1972 and"house on the Edge or the Parc" from 1980).

Also this time can put down hoarse is well-known personage: thole pin-twisted psychopaat, the hitchhiker Adam Konitz. But Campanile do not lay the emphasis in contrast to the called films on possibly sadistische rattans of Konitz: , travel-enjoyed with three against wants the strained situation in the restricted space of car and thanks, is at issue. Piquant detail has been considerably spoiled already the relation of for the and Eve and the influence on this of the freaked out Adam. The threat which him assumes the two quarrelling spouses dense at each other brings or uses them the benarde circumstances correctly to win the fight for once and always?

All ingredients for a enerverende psychological fight are present but Campanile want apparently more. Some observations of the personages do presumption that the regisseur possibly want give comments on the fight between to have sex, the doubtful and destructive role of primitive machismo and the social-social position of the woman. If this its intention was then comes it however not entirely from painting. That to Campanile in truth to exploitation to tradition to the camera regularly impudent concerning the naked body of Eve lets slide takes off perhaps also slightly to its possible serious intentions.
    Eve play a remarkable role in whole. Changed for her there in fact little after Adam in the car have stepped. She ' has already got used ' to intimidation and maltreatment. The inevitable verkrachting (by Campanile remarkably delicate in picture brought) undergoes they firstly left as if they remembered happening from its wants exile, but eventually nevertheless... passioneel. doubtful, within the exploitation niche uncommon show of matter or nevertheless a attempt of Eve for the (that only muzzled toekan look at) hurt?

The already called soundtrack of the hand of Morricone is also what confusing. Stemmige deuntjes that does think of western genre is varied with friendly-looking, wee?g song that for the first time the head puts on during a barbecue on a camp-site. Ietwat out of place and tenenkrommend. The song returns afterwards then nearly no longer exile times still several and is from the memory...

Eventually the catching Campanile is given probably up to not developed. The situering is ideal for psychological terreur: the small space of the car with in this three each other hostile disposed people. The regisseur does not succeed however the in abundance of ordered possibilities use and only in first half of "Hitch Hike" there is talk of shimmering tension. The depressing lock agreement where Campanile ala Mario Bava perfectly round make the circle is excellent but the way to that final is simply moreover what too long and a couple contains incredible developments.

"Hitch Hike" zondermeer, nicely it has been remarkably photographed and starting full suspense but gradually unfortunately what momentum losing. It succeeds Campanile moreover not it maximum from the promising setting to press and the film contains possibly insufficiently real horrorelementen for genrepuristen. Nevertheless this obscure semi-exploitatie are rariteit nice pastime, certainly for fans of hoarse or Nero.

Phantasmagoria spoke hoarse among other things Hitch Hike with David. Read the complete interview here.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Systran is rather clumsy, but are their Dutch-to-English translations any better?

Or you could toss a few bucks to Zelazny. He's in school & can only afford the most pathetic cream-cheese sandwiches I've ever seen before. He helped translate a couple Dutch messageboards to English back when BOTM was still active.

Inactive Member Phantasmagoria.nl's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hehe, that auto-translation looks pretty ehm silly.. [img]eek.gif[/img]

It was a great interview though, i wish all genre actors were so friendly and cooperative.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You conducted a very insightful and interesting interview, Phantasmagoria! Good work.

Reved, Bablefish uses the translation software you mentioned. Yeah, it's rough, but better than nothing! Kind of adds to the fun! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's the SAME translation software? Oh well.

You could always ask around weeklydose.com's messageboard for someone who might try translating it in a more legible way...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Your English isn't half as bad as some people I know (who'se second-language is English). Russian's a tough language to translate accurately too.

Inactive Member Phantasmagoria.nl's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would translate it for you if my English was good enough. But if that was the case my site (and thus the interview) would have been in English already. [img]cool.gif[/img]