Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello! - I've been digging for a while to find more info on 'Last House's' soundtrack and found myself here! Didn't realize the head bad guy was responsible for the soundtrack, haha. sweet. You gotta grow your hair back ala your look then! Maybe Rob Zombie will cast you in his next tribute-esque horror film (House of 1k Corpses part 2)

Question? I love the soundtrack. what are some other groups/albums/artists etc. that capture the same mellow folk vibe and sound as your soundtrack. What/who were some of the albums/artists you were listening to then? The only thing that comes to mind that is similar is the score to the old Manson/Helter Skelter documentary. Please give me some direction on where to look!

Thanks!
    Andy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Andy,
    My roots have always been in Folk/Rock/Jazz. No particular influences except the artists of the day and those that led the way during the early developmental periods. I was schooled by my mother, she being a working opera singer and attended Julliard for 2years while at Columbia Univ. So my education and exposure are pretty much to everything. I guess from a technical view point you'd have to say classical, but I never used the form classically. The whole counterpoint idea was mine, meaning that Wes and Sean likes the feeling of music going opposite of what was on the screen, so they let me go with it. Contemporary influences...Bix Beiderbecke, Huddy Leadbetter, Dave Brubeck, Astrid and Jao Gilberto, Pete Seeger, Dvorak, Aaron Copeland, Most of the Musicals of the 50's and 60's and I could keep on going. When one writes, usually in some fashion the hot artists and hot sounds always creep into the composition, but to say that I was actively influenced by my peers would be a misstatement.
    David

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by DAVID HESS:
    The whole counterpoint idea was mine, meaning that Wes and Sean likes the feeling of music going opposite of what was on the screen, so they let me go with it. Contemporary influences...Bix Beiderbecke, Huddy Leadbetter, Dave Brubeck, Astrid and Jao Gilberto, Pete Seeger, Dvorak, Aaron Copeland, Most of the Musicals of the 50's and 60's and I could keep on going. When one writes, usually in some fashion the hot artists and hot sounds always creep into the composition, but to say that I was actively influenced by my peers would be a misstatement.
    David
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi David.

This idea of "counterpoint" is one of the most striking aspects of LAST HOUSE, and is especially apparent in the "piss your pants" scene where the girls are forced to undress and Mari is crying. The humiliation and torture of these two, juxtaposed with your music, creates a texture which is sooo haunting and moving. It's as if the gentleness and melancholy of the music, accentuates the violence and makes it all the more meaningless and tragic. It works.

Are you a Miles Davis fan too? I caught several of Davis's gigs in the late 80s and early 90s, but that was in the Marcus Miller/funk-pop period. I wish I'd caught him in his Bitches Brew days...