Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello David,

Can I first say just how much I admire your work in both music and film.

I am a Film Student in London and I am writing about exploitation films for my Dissertation. I was just wondering if you might be able to answer a few questions as I am comparing the American exploitation film scene with the Italian exlpoitation industry and I know you have worked (very successfully) in both fields.

How do you feel your two Italian films 'Hitch-hike' and 'House by the Edge of the Park' compare to 'Last house'? Do you like these italian movies?

How did the process of film production differ with 'Last House' and the Italian films? They seem higher budget and more glossy

How did you find Ruggero Deadato to work with? I hear he demands a lot.

I won't bother you with anymore annoying questions. Thanks for your time. I wish you well with all future ventures!

James Blackford

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well James,
    'Last House' was done on a shoe string...It was basically our first film, I mean for all of us and as such we really bonded together. This makes for great realism and repertory. As for the Italian Productions...I came in as someone who was known in Europe as a 'horror film' actor, so, Yes, the budgets were a little higher and the treatment a little more comfortable. The scripts were generally well written and working with Franco and Corinne was absolutely wonderful. Festa-Campanile let us do our thing and we clicked as a trio. I think that's what made the film so believable. 'House on the Edge' was similar, but, then, Ruggero's shooting style was different then Pasquale's. Ruggero was looking for that 'dolce vita' corruption and I think he found it. The film is still disturbing for me in so far as the way people take advantage of each other. The characters are all a bunch of 'sociopaths' and as such Ruggero struck oil. Working with him is great. We fight like hell and he's always accusing me of being in it only for the money...But I think deep down he knows that's not true and he's basically pulling my leg. He's a true master of horror, both physical and psychological. And yes, he can be a tyrant sometimes, but that's how he gets what he wants. The trick is not to take his work habits too seriously. He is easily insulted if he thinks one is taking advantage of him, as most intellectuals are. We've had an on going relationship for years...sometimes absent for years. I'm very pleased that people have rediscovered the 'trilogy' and I look forward to hearing more from you about your project.
    David

Inactive Member James Blackford's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thanks very much for the reply David. I'll let you know how i get on!