Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi, David, I remember in one of your past responses to another questioner, you mentioned your father, I believe, was an Ethical Culturist. I've always considered myself fairly well informed, but I had never heard of this group or religion. I mentioned it to a friend of mine who happens to be an Orthodox Jew (I should mention he's somewhat arrogant and opinionated in his views on other religions; for instance, he doesn't consider Reformed Jews to be Jews at all and I can only hazard a guess as to what he thinks regarding me- a gentile agnostic). He was somewhat dismissive, referring to it as a "debating society." Just recently, I noticed they had a headquarters in Teaneck, NJ, so obviously its still a viable group. I was wondering whether you were an adherent of this religion, or what you feelings were regarding it? What positive things, if any, did you get from it?
    Thanks,
    Ed T.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Eddy T.,
    It probably was a debating society. My grandparents joined it when they came from the Russian Pogroms in the late 19th cent. They wanted no more of organized religion. Can't say as I blame them. As to the 'whys and wheres', I never got much info from my Papa as he was not only mute on the subject but married into Jewish Reformed Royalty...A total of 7 Rabbis in my immediate family. I was raised as a jewish rascal, not even confirmed or Bar Mitzvahed. The Ethical Cultural link went the way of 'lost in the rush to the temple' and I didn't find out anything from my russian speaking granny before she passed on, so I got no real attachment to it. What little I've been able to glean over the years is that it approached religion from a very 'in the moment-intellectual' concept. What ever that means. It probably incorporates some of the eastern philosophies and I wouldn't be surprised if Gurdjiev had some influence in its beginnings. As for your orthodox friend. Being Orthodox doesn't necessarily mean being informed. Religion, organized as it is, is in such a state of flux that anything that smacks of orthodoxy is on the way out, anyway. My opinion!
    Be well Eddy mah friend.
    David