Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just wanted to mention, for all those LHOTL stalwarts out there like me- I happened to see recently a DVD of "Women In Revolt." This is a film from 1971, released under Andy Warhol's name but actually made by Paul Morrissey, who also did the Warhol Dracula and Frankenstein movies. I came into it unaware that Mr. Kove has a bit part. For the LHOTL purist, you might want to check it out, particularly if you're female and/or gay. Is the movie any good? Hard to say. I enjoy the Morrissey films I've seen so far, and this one has its moments...suffice it to say it's not the kind of film you're typically going to see at the local multiplex. I'm not gay (although, as Jerry Seinfeld would say, there's nothing wrong with that) but I must say that Candy Darling is the most convincing transvestite and/or transgendered person I've ever seen on film (not that there have been that many) and she had a certain charisma. Supposedly, Robert DeNiro made his acting debut with her on the off-Broadway stage. I know Candy died prematurely from cancer as a result of flawed hormone treatment. Speaking of Warhol, I'm no authority on Pop Art, but I always thought he was a parasite, a huckster. He attached his name to everything, even if his involvement was mimimal or non-existent- Morrissey movies, the Velvet Underground, 60's rebellion etc. And how does turning your camera on the Empire State Building and letting it run for 24 hours constitute film-making? Maybe someone who knows more about Pop-Art than me (and I don't profess to know much) can enlighten me.
    Ed

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I remember from when I was young my mom telling me there was a Warhol flick that was just of a guy sleeping. Made no sense to me... thankfully. [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, those are the kind of films he supposedly did when it was actually him, as opposed to Morrissey, making the films. One film of his supposedly had a guy who was...how can I say this diplomatically?...being attended to by someone else, and the entire movie was the camera focused on his face, recording his reactions. Does this constitute art? Not in my humble opinion. Hopefully, they passed out a lot of LSD at the theatre showing that one. As to the Velvet Underground, they're one of my favorite groups, and on their best album, Warhol's name overshadows theirs, even though, outside of the picture of the banana he provided for the album cover, he had nothing to do with the record. Maybe he was more involved behind the scenes as far as promotion goes, but in my opinion, Warhol was one of the most overblown cultural nothings, next to Paris Hilton or Britney Spears. Well, ok, in the interests of fairness, I have to concede that they probably surpass him in terms of utter irrelevance...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow, sorry for the rant, but it felt good to get that off my chest.