Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    From Comingsoon.net

Rogue Pictures has closed a deal to remake The Last House on the Left, the 1972 horror film that started Wes Craven's career, reports Variety.

Craven, who wrote and directed the original, will produce the remake with longtime partner Marianne Maddalena and Sean S. Cunningham. The latter produced the original. Craven and Rogue are eyeing an early 2007 start date.

In the film, a pair of adventurous teen girls are kidnapped, raped and murdered by a gang of thugs. The killers unwittingly hole up in the home of one victim's parents, who, upon realizing what their guests did, devise gruesome revenge.

Craven and Cunningham got $90,000 to shoot the original from drive-in theater owners in Boston who wanted cheap second films for double-feature bills. The R rating was self-imposed, since Craven had never heard of the MPAA.

Inactive Member Slyboneinstlouie's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Looks like the remake might be more of a reality than I thought. We've been hearing talk of it for a while, so who knows. What was a surprise was to hear that Craven is working on remaking Shocker and People Under the Stairs. Neither of those films are very new of course, but they are much newer than any film that has been remade lately.

Slybone

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Wes has become a Hollywood whore!!!! Why in the hell would you want to remake Last House on the Left????????? It is one of those legenday taboo cult films that people still whisper about but did not have the guts to go see. When you remake a movie like this it ruins its mystique and legend. You "whore" it out!!!!!!!!!!! I will not even rent it own video in protest. I have refuesed to see the remake of Hills Have Eyes also. I am SICK and TIRED of remakes! This remake of Last House wont be as disturbing as the original it will have to have an "R" rating for theatrical play, and the "unrated" dvd won't have as much punch either, you know why, because of political correctness!!! You can't abuse woman in today's films. This remake will probably have teenage boys being the victims of the most brutal violence I am willing to bet!! Asking someone if they have ever seen Last House on the Left will never have the same meaning once this damn remake is made! [img]graemlins/cry_smile.gif[/img]

Inactive Member Slyboneinstlouie's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yep, I hear ya. I have seen several of the remakes that have come out as of late (Hills, When a Stranger Calls, etc), and not one of them have even come close to being as entertaining as the originals, I'm sure that "Last House" will be no exception. If nothing else, maybe these remakes will help sell or rent the originals to new fans of old movies. But yes, I agree with you, no one seems to have any original script ideas anymore.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Unfortunately, most moviegoers in the U.S. are superficial dip-shits that don't want to see a movie that's more than 10 years old, if that. If the remake sucks people really wont want to see the original, that's the mentality of most people. That doesn't apply to us that belong to these film forums, but it does to the general public. And even if remakes were good I still don't think they should be remade. Especially a groundbreaking, trendsetting, taboo busting film like Last House on the Left.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

For the most part, personally don't believe the old 70's flicks CAN be made anymore.

Last House falls within the "Rape-Revenge" subgenre of 70's moviemaking. Which Tarantino thankfully helped pump with 'Grindhouse' and his "DeathProof" submission. But that was totally non-sexual. Racing cars used in substitute of erections.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When I think of "The Last House On The Left", the first thing that comes to mind is David Hess's character "Krug Stillo". I love The Hills Hve Eyes remake. I like it better than the original.

A Last House re-make with out David Hess, would just be a film with "The Last House..." moniker.

David Hess is "The Last House on The Left". He owned that film.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

For a view of other exploitation-fare in a similar vein, would recommend watching "The Candy Snatchers" (1973), available from subversivecinema.com

David had nothing to do with this one, but there ARE fleeting similarities in the storyline. I find it very interesting comparing similarly-aged movies that have no way in HELL of being made anymore....

Especially when a movie like Last House totally kick-starts some fresh-face careers, and a movie like Candy Snatcher totally ruined others.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Night Train Murders, which is awesome, has a LH vibe as well. Those who haven't seen it should check it out.