Hi, David, I was recently saddened to learn about the passing of Marlon Brando. There are film critics who define all styles of movie acting as either "BB" (Before Brando) and "AB" (After Brando), although such critics tend to forget the influence of Montgomery Clift, who sort of preceded Brando. Was curious as to how much Brando was an influence for you? I know you've mentioned John Garfield as an influence, and I can see that. Garfield excelled at a natural style of acting and he was certainly one of the most progressive and generous actors we've ever had (unfortunately to his own detriment). Did Brando exert a comparable influence or did you feel a greater affinity for Garfield, who shared a similar NY background? Also, how wise do you think it is to reveal so much of one's self in a particular role, using your own background and history, as Brando did in "Last Tango In Paris?" He obviously had 2nd thoughts about it after the movie was released, considering the caliber of the roles he did thereafter. He also told Bertolucci that he would never again reveal as much of himself as he did in the role of Paul, the anti-hero of the film.
Thanks, and hope all is well with you and your family,
Ed T.