Thread: The retail price of gasoline hit an all-time high Tuesday - nearly $1.74 per gallon

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

I don't know about you guys, but I just paid $14 and change for 5 gallons of gas. Los Angeles has not seen an "average" of $1.74 per gallon in YEARS!!! Read the bit I put in BOLD text. This is bush stealing from our pockets to benefit his family and friends AGAIN!

-------------------------

AAA Reports Record-High Gasoline Prices
    By BRAD FOSS, APAP
    We are paying $1.738 per gallon on average.

WASHINGTON (March 23) - The retail price of gasoline hit an all-time high Tuesday - nearly $1.74 per gallon nationwide - reflecting strong demand, tight supplies and the high cost of oil, AAA reported.
    AAA, formerly the American Automobile Association, reported that motorists are now paying $1.738 per gallon for self-serve regular unleaded gasoline, one-tenth of a penny higher than the previous record set Aug. 30 of last year. Premium unleaded costs more than $2 a gallon in many parts of the country.
    ''Unstable gasoline prices make budgeting for fuel costs extremely difficult for families and businesses,'' AAA said in a statement.
    The Orlando, Fla.-based travel agency gets its data from Oil Price Information Service of Lakewood, N.J., which collects retail price information from 60,000 locations daily.
    Gasoline prices traditionally rise between March and May as refiners temporarily shut down their plants in preparation for the peak summer driving season, when special clean-burning blends of fuel are required. These shutdowns shrink supplies.
    This year, the effect on price has been magnified because commercial inventories of gasoline are already low. For the week ended March 12, U.S. gasoline inventories stood at 199.6 million barrels, down from 202.1 million barrels a year ago.
    The most recent statistics from the Department of Energy show that gasoline demand has been roughly 4.5 percent higher than last year over the past four weeks, at 8.9 million barrels a day. Moreover, refiners are maintaining extremely lean inventories these days because of the high price of crude oil, another factor contributing to higher fuel prices.

Crude oil for May delivery sold for $37.45 per barrel Tuesday on the New York Mercantile Exchange, up 40 cents. The price of oil is below recent highs but still near its highest level in 14 years.
    The Energy Department's weekly survey of retail gasoline prices, released Monday, showed a jump to $1.743 in the national average for regular grade gasoline in the week ended March 22, up from $1.724 the week before. That's still 0.4 cent below the record the agency reported last August.
    The department's Energy Information Administration compiles the data weekly from a sampling of about 800 locations from a database of 115,000 stations monitored.

Meantime, some Democratic lawmakers criticized the Bush administration for contributing to the recent run-up in fuel costs by purchasing oil for the nation's Strategic Petroleum Reserve at a time when supplies are tight, driving prices even higher.
    Senators Charles Schumer of New York, Barbara Boxer of California and Harry Reid of Nevada urged the Bush administration Tuesday to help ease gasoline prices by releasing oil from the SPR, which is close to its 700-million-barrel capacity at 648 million barrels as of March 12.

AP-NY-03-23-04 2016EST

<font color="#007FFF" size="1">[ March 24, 2004 04:55 AM: Message edited by: rocketmaster ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You do wonder what it will take before people wake up. People are working longer hours for less pay. The divide between rich and poor has never been wider or more obscene. Jobs are being "outsourced" at an alarming rate. The perks CEO's award themselves remind me of what I've read about Caligula's Rome. Maybe what it will take is another "Revolution." My fear is that it won't be a bloodless one. Another point to make about Bush is his record regarding the death penalty in Texas during his tenure there as Governor. I don't mean to argue the merits of the death penalty here; everyone has their own opinion regarding the issue. But during Bush's time as Governor, an unprecedented number of people were hustled into the execution chamber after trials of blatant unfairness. People were being defended in capital cases by alcoholic public defenders who fell asleep during the testimony of key witnesses. Even if one feels the death penalty has a place in our society (I don't), I don't see how any fair-minded person can justify such a barbaric implementation of it. Even the Governor of Illinois had the decency to call a moratorium on the death penalty in that state when evidence of abuses came to light.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[img]mad.gif[/img] Screwed, blewed, tatooed but goooed. So much for the middle class.
    David [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Only way I envision a second term for this administration is if there happens to be another terrorist attack on US soil before election day. Or if Osama is already held Guantanamo Bay for a big "look who we just caught!" extravaganza.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My gas reciept for today:
    Gallons: 11.605
    Total: $27.06

Whoever it was that sent this link to us (anonymously), THANK YOU!

Check this out! Very funny, wait for it to load!
    http://www.spankbush.com/

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

$2.33/gallon! DAYAMM!! [img]eek.gif[/img]