Thread: What's he doing that's so wrong?

Kelliiii

Question

Here's another review from people who have seen MS & they are all complaining abt John's performance...is it really that bad?

Whatsonstage.com

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Kelliii. How is/was your trip?

As you can see from the various reviews, there are some who really hate John in this show, some who don't mind him and some who really love him. I've only ever seen this version with John as John but it seems that there is a lot of fondness for Hugh and for other actors who have played this role and maybe that's part of the problem. I know I would find it very difficult to really warm to anybody but John playing Tugger or Marilyn as those roles were so his.

As for his performance it changed on the two occasions I saw the show but clearly John's acting is a little OTT when he plays it tough in the 1st act and then he camps it up a bit in the 2nd act. When he came on at the end last time he really camped it up with a catwalk style walk and I'm not sure why he does things like that. To shock? or cause confusion? Looks like somebody was impressed with him though referring to him as being built like a Greek God. I must admit to being puzzled by the comments about his rendition of Bui Doi. I have the original cast recording and John's version is so much better and more moving. What are they talking about his hips and singing like a pop song? On both occasions I saw him he stood very still and only moved to point, emphatically I'll admit, to the screen which shows images of Vietnamese/American children in Bui Doi camps.

I just hope that the bad reviews will not affect his self confidence or make him want to leave early. I'm planning at least 2 more trips.

Hope you got my PM.

Debra