Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure if you've seen this press review from Nottingham quoting John extensively.

Debra xx

SAIGON CAST IS RIGHT AT HOME

12:00 - 27 August 2005

The eagerly-awaited new production of Miss Saigon is up and running at the Theatre Royal. ANDY SMART went back stage to discover the actors' view of Nottingham

They have come from the four corners of the world to tell a passionate story about love and tragedy - but the cast of Miss Saigon have declared Nottingham their new home from home.

Still buzzing with the adrenalin of their opening night triumph, the stars were all smiles as they shared an informal de-brief in the bar.

And the chorus of praise for the city, its theatre and its fans suggest that the cast are going to enjoy their five-week run here.

Mind you, advance bookings in excess of ?1m help and Royal Centre managing director James Ashworth was quick to break open the bubbly with the principals.

"Miss Saigon has lived up to all our expectations. It is a magnificent show and the company are delightful. They seem to be enjoying themselves. There is a real buzz around the theatre this week," he said.

While that was going on, and before the last of the audience had filed out, stage hands were moving the heavy sets back to their positions for the opening. The wardrobe team were checking costumes for repair while a bank of washing machines that travels with the company worked non-stop.

No two theatres are alike and the Theatre Royal has set its own challenges. Somehow the team has managed to fit all the evocative roll-on-roll-off sets, plus more than 40 actors, dancers and acrobats, safely on to the narrow, sloping stage.

It is only when you walk around backstage, amid the clutter of scenery and props, the individual costume spaces with outfits laid in order for many quick changes, that you appreciate the hard work, ingenuity and talent that creates this nightly magic.

Wearing the satisfied smile of a job well done, co-director Laurence Connor told the Post: "It was a little bit tight to get the set in due to the width of the stage, but we fitted it in. The show has been going very well and the cast have adapted to the different size of stage. Audience reaction's been amazing."

Miss Saigon, set during the closing days of the Vietnam War, is the sort of show that demands a reaction. There is hardly a dry eye in the house when the tiny Asian youngster who plays Tam, the baby GI Chris leaves behind when he flees Vietnam, runs across stage for the first time.

There are gasps as the last American helicopter out of Saigon lands behind the Embassy gates and thunders back into the air, leaving desperate Vietnamese clutching worthless visa papers.

And you can hear sobs throughout the auditorium during the shattering last scene. It is music to the ears of the actors, like lead player John Partridge who said: "I can see their reaction, hear the sniffles. It's great."

John, Mancunian by birth but living in Berlin, has arguably the show's most powerful song, Bui Doi. He said he was thrilled with the environment in which he will be working for the next month or so.

"The Theatre Royal's really beautiful. It has a very intimate atmosphere that works really well for this show. It invites the audience in to share the intense emotions."

And he's knocked out by all the attractions Nottingham had to offer.

"I'm really enjoying being in Nottingham and I love all the Robin Hood and Maid Marian references everywhere."

Lara Pulver, who plays Chris's American wife Ellen, is no stranger to the city - or the Royal. "This is my fourth time here so it's great to be back again." Our audiences have been wonderful."

Iranian-born Canadian Ramin Karimloo, who plays the key role of GI Chris Scott, was one of the first to the bar. On his way, he paused as one excited lady asked for his autograph.

"Certainly ma'am," he said before remarking: "I just love Nottingham, we've been treated so well. It already feels like home from home."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nice article! I always thought he was from Manchester but then everybody said it was London and that confused me. [img]wink.gif[/img]
    Oh, and I like the way they say he lives in Berlin.. Does he really still live there? [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
    That get's my hopes high that he might come back to germany one day.. [img]graemlins/party.gif[/img]

Bombi

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

When I spoke to John last I asked him where he is living and he was a bit vague about it, saying that he is 'staying' in London but doesn't call London home. He also said that he expected to be in the UK for only a couple of years so I reckon he may still be living permanently in Berlin. John speaks fondly of Manchester and actaully still has quite a strong Mancunian accent (some of the time). x

Kelliiii

cool article - thanks debra!

john probably still lives in berlin because that's where he boyfriend lives (his most recent one as of abt 3 years ago), but they also have a residence in the london area - some sort of flat or so. not sure what his status is in that relationship, but if he's saying his home is berlin (great city btw - one of my all time favs), then he must still be in that relationship. wow! to call berlin home - how lucky!!!! i'd rather go see him on stage in berlin than london, but it's a damn looooong trip.

i saw the US national tour of Miss Saigon last week - amazing performance - i almost forgot why it was that i love the engineer part - what a fab role! the guy who played john, however, was weak & sort of tone deaf - ruined bui doi! but, the guy who played chris was handsome, handsome, handsome!!! i was moved to tears & i am hardly ever moved to tears during a show!