Thread: interesting

KelliM

Talking

Here's a copy of the article because the link doesn't seem to be working now; although you can probably do a 'search' at the Londonist site:

November 3, 2006
    When will The Drowsy Chaperone come out of the West End closet?

There has been talk for a while that The Drowsy Chaperone, the quirky best-book/best-score winner at this year's Tony, would soon make its way to the West End. Then, this week, the Internet was a-buzz with news that auditions for the homage to 1920s musicals were going on in London. But the Broadway hit's producers will still only talk of a "prospective" run and won't reveal the dates, the theatre, or the cast members...

Not everyone is so tight-lipped. Actor John Partridge -- or, at least, someone who has been pretending to be actor John Partridge for a long time -- made an appearance on his fan message board this week to tell of his Drowsy success:

"Hello everyone, I just wanted to let you all know that I have just agreed to appear in the Westend production of The Drowsy Chaperone, playing the leading role of Robert. We open at the Novello Theatre in early May 2007 with a stella company, Bob martin is coming from broadway , and I am truly excited! The rest of the company should be confirmed in the next few days. Love to you all, Johnny"

In a later message, "John Partridge" notes that Robert's romantic interest Janet will be played by actress Summer Strallen, who, incidentally, is the sister of Scarlett Strallen, the West End's current Mary Poppins.

(Slight digression for theatre geeks: Sutton Foster, the Tony-winning actress who plays Janet on Broadway in Drowsy, also has a sibling in a concurrent Broadway show; her brother Hunter is currently in The Producers. All in the family, etc.)

So, is "John Partridge" telling the truth? The official line is still that there may or may not be a musical opening at some point in some location in London with some actors; there may be singing and dancing, but that cannot be confirmed at this moment in time. Only time will tell whether we can trust the Internet on this one, or if this is just wikiality.

<u>And here's the article from Broadwayworld.com:</u>

Monday, November 6, 2006; Posted: 9:24 AM - by Jake Brunger

Dates have been confirmed for the Daniel Radcliffe led production of Peter Shaffer?s Equus. Co-starring veteran actor Richard Griffiths, who won the 2006 Tony Award for Best Actor, the revival will open at the Gielgud Theatre on February 27th following previews from February 16th. Radcliffe is, of course, best known for his role as Harry Potter in the film adaptations of the best-selling books. It has been widely reported that he will appear naked in the stage production, which will be performed in the round with parts of the seating on stage. Prior to Equus?s run, the theatre will host the Donmar Warehouse transfer of Frost/Nixon starring Michael Sheen. An excellent website can be found at www.equustheplay.com.

The West End, unlike Broadway, doesn?t publish its weekly grosses - it?s one of those shy, taboo issues that leads to message board posters merely speculating on attendance percentages. Wicked, however, has broken that silence by publicly announcing that it had the highest 8-performance weekly take in West End history. The figure? ?761,125 ($1,452,397.32), averaging just over 95% capacity, which in a 2304 seater theatre means that more than 130,000 people have attended since its arrival. Let?s hope that the Wicked producers will start a trend and that eventually we?ll see a weekly performance table for all our West End shows, as is the fashion in the States.

The Sound of Music has begun previews at the London Palladium. Starring Connie Fisher (winner of BBC1 talent competition How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria), Simon Shepherd (UPDATE: Simon Shepherd has now withdrawn from The Sound of Music, the part will be taken by Alexander Hanson instead - more on this next week) and soprano Lesley Garrett, the show officially opens on November 15th. Andrew Lloyd Webber co-produces with David Ian (both panelists on the BBC programme) and direction is by Jeremy Sams with choreography by Arlene Phillips. The Sound of Music has ? thanks to the TV show ? been one of the most talked about events of the year, causing massive controversy and sparking major public debate, including comments from Lloyd Webber collaborator Trevor Nunn.

Casting is shaping up for the West End production of Broadway hit The Drowsy Chaperone. A post supposedly made by actor John Partridge on a message board last week said that he?d be cast as Robert, with Summer Strallen as Janet. He claims that they will open at the Novello Theatre in May 2007 and that Bob Martin will come over to star as Man in Chair. David Benedict reported in Variety today that not only are producers looking for a house for The Drowsy Chaperone but also for Jersey Boys and Hairspray, making 2007 another busy year for Broadway transfers.

And finally, just in case you?ve missed out on some exciting casting news recently, I thought I?d recap on some confirmed casts for high-profile productions. Popstar Will Young will star in the Manchester Royal Exchange production of The Vortex from January 17th, Judi Dench and Alastair McGowan head a stellar cast in the Royal Shakespeare Company?s Merry Wives the Musical from December 2nd and Billy Zane leads a transfer of Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks at the Haymarket from November 29th.

Links:
    <a href="http://www.londonist.com/archives/2006/11/when_with_the_d.php

" target="_blank">http://www.londonist.com/archives/20...with_the_d.php

</a>
    http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=13500

<font color="#237323" size="1">[ December 03, 2006 07:42 AM: Message edited by: pattic ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How ridiculous is that? For anybody in any doubt, Johnny Barran who hosts the Kitsch Lounge Riot at The Pigalle Club introduced John as the Rum Tum Tugger, John from Miss Saigon and about to star in The Drowsy Chaperone in the West End.

Dx

KelliM

I'm a little offended myself with the remarks insinuating that we were suckered into believing someone 'pretending' to be John posted here. Anyone who has met & spent any time with John could tell you that those were his postings without a doubt.

TMK90
    I have to agree completely with the both of you. It made me a bit mad and disgusted. When I read both articles about a month ago when they first came out, it irritated the heck out of me!! But I know that it's all press, so to say. And that all they like to do is talk, b/c that's there job. Even though I've never met John, I've been told enough and have read enough experiences abt other people who have had the opportunity to meet & know John & I def believe that it is John who posted here.
    It should be pretty clear to people reading your comment Debra of when he was announced to come out and perform. Nothing clearer than that!
    But people can say what they want/believe, but I'm stickin' to my guns, b/c I absoultely think it's him. I'm not so easily swayed, and for me there are just too many evidences that show it would be John, or else this creep who's pretending must know an awful lot abt his life and experiences to play it off so well. That's all there is to it!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes,indeed. What a terrible thing to say! It's painful to think about John. He must have hurt a lot. Why do people make the same mistakes over and over again? We might as well forget that article.
    Mimi

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I cannot belive what I just read! I am so insulted that they think, like Westendgirly1 said herself, suckered into believing that was someone pretending to be John. However wrote that should be ashamed and I totally agree with Mimi, we should forget all about the article!
    All my love