Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taboo DVD

KelliM

Kate- where will you be in canada? You are staying in NYC for 2 weeks?? Wow - I hope you're staying with friends because if not that sounds mighty expensive. I love The City - I was in Times Square for New Year's Eve and it was totally amazing!
    As for Taboo, NYC had an amazing comercial on tv for the show - made it look appealing, but ticket sales are sadly sagging. If you get a chance while you're there I'd check out 'Wicked' and "The Boy From Oz' Bombay Dreams opens in March on broadway - anyone know how that is?

<font color="#990009" size="1">[ January 04, 2004 09:35 PM: Message edited by: KelliM ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

not backstage really..i got the documentary dvd thingy....sorry its taken me a while to anser but im neva here [img]frown.gif[/img] bloody uni wih their men in shorts and their legs and their...*ahem*....duno if u's all got the documentary but if u didnt theres a bit wiv john talkin on it and iv finally figured how to do stills on my laptop from dvds so i can get the pics off it and send em ya if u want....im behind the times for a lot of u i kno...iv just figured wot a hard drive is...hmm...

good luck in Canada Kate...and Kelly in New York..i think and...everyone :-s like i said...so behind

KelliM

hey cablebow that would be cool if you can get some stills for us. how long are you off from uni?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

im home until saturday, so if anyone wants stills send ur e-mail addy to: [email protected] and i'll try my best to send u some...but i am pretty stupid, so u may end up wiv my holiday pics or sumthin...but i'll try ;-)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm going to be in Fernie, which is in British Columbia. I'm there to train as a ski instructor so I'll be skiing during the week and then have free time at the weekends, probably will also be spent skiing. The instructor training goes until April 5th, then I plan to spend a couple more weeks in Fernie either teaching or just recreational skiing and relaxing before flying to NY.

I'm staying in youth hostels and stuff in NY. They are about ?12-?15 per night so it won't cost me much! I'll probably spend between 10 and 14 days in NYC, I also plan a possible overnighter to New Jersey to see the Cats tour seeing as it's on when I'll be in NYC. Taboo is an excellent show and it's a shame that it's apparently not doing so well..though I'm hearing conflicting tales, Euan & George are saying through website & paper column respectively that it's doing well and the papers in NY say it's doing badly. I reckon it's probably doing fine. Even in London it didn't sell out all the time, but still ran for quite a while! I've got plenty of shows I want to see whilst in NY, some recommendations and some that I love anyway..Rent being the main one. I NEED to see Rent on BWay!! I've heard the hype about Wicked on musicals.net..it does seem to be popular. It'll probably depend more on what cheap tickets I can get..rather than specific shows. Though obviously I'm going to be trying to get rush tickets for Rent and tickets for Taboo!! Don't bother with Bombay Dreams unless you like Bollywood movies..I think it's utter shite!

Kate xx

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@Kate: just a question, which youth hostels are you looking into? I'm going to NYC this summer and looking for (cheap) places to stay.

As for rush tickets for rent (unless you're seeing the tour) they are no more. They're doing lotto now ::le sigh:: strangely enough most other shows are still doing rush lines...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Didn't want to open a new thread for this, but I thought it might interest some of you: Taboo on B-way is going to close again on Feb.8! Well, it's a real pitty, but maybe it'll return to London then? (Wanna see it! And that's a lot closer than NYC! [img]wink.gif[/img] )

Bombi

KelliM

yeah, i guess new york isn't ready for boy george again - i really didn't expect it to do well here anyway - here's something from the AP on it:

Wednesday, January 14, 2004

NEW YORK ? "Taboo," the Boy George (search) musical brought to Broadway by Rosie O'Donnell (search), will close Feb. 8, losing all of its well-known producer's $10 million investment.

The show, which opened Nov. 13 to largely negative reviews and publicity, has struggled since then to reach its weekly break-even point, reportedly more than $400,000. Last week, according to the League of American Theatres and Producers (search), it grossed $281,333, filling only half the seats at the Plymouth Theatre.

"`Taboo' was by far the most fulfilling experience of my career," O'Donnell said Tuesday in a statement. "Many lessons were learned, and so it goes. For this experience, I am profoundly grateful and have no regrets."

The cast was told of the closing before the Tuesday evening performance, said John Barlow, a spokesman for the show.

When "Taboo" closes Feb. 8, it will have played 16 previews and 100 performances.

O'Donnell put up all the money for "Taboo" herself.

"I always think: Go big or go home," O'Donnell said during a September new conference to promote the show. "Taboo," the producer said, was "a legitimate, knock-'em-down, leave-'em-screaming, worth-a-$100-a-seat Broadway show" and predicted it would win the Tony Award for best musical.

O'Donnell was a hands-on producer for the musical, which has a mostly original score by Boy George. It tells the story of the 1980s English pop star, played by Euan Morton, as well as that of performance artist Leigh Bowery (search), portrayed by Boy George himself.

During the musical's turbulent preview period, O'Donnell brought in Jeff Calhoun as a "choreographic consultant" to help director Christopher Renshaw. The producer also reportedly battled with Raul Esparza, one of the performers in the show. He reportedly walked out of a rehearsal, but later returned.

O'Donnell originally had seen the musical in London where it had a 15-month run, and she decided to bring it to New York.

"If I can make this happen (on Broadway) it would be unreal," the producer said last September, recalling her decision. "The score was brilliant. All I felt that was needed was ... some of the real story of what happened to these people being more accurately reflected."

She then commissioned playwright Charles Busch, author of "The Tale of the Allergist's Wife," to write a new book.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12