Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi all, I had to re-register to make this post & to send mimi a PM, but I was in New York last night to see Adam Pascal & Anthony Rapp's opening night back in RENT & it was amazing. The line to get in stretched down 41st street & around the corner all the way down Broadway/7th Street to the next block to get in. They were both spot on in their roles. The whole crowd was on their feet the whole night & cheering non-stop. They seemed very relaxed on stage & they did a lot of ad-libbing. It took abt 15 mins for the show to start when Anthony Rapp came out on stage. He just stood there in amazement looking out at the audience at the reception he was receiving. We thought he was going to speak to the crowd, but he never broke character & went right into first number. Both him & Adam had very strong vocals. Adam seemed to being really enjoying himself. His performance reminded me *a lot* of John's with the facial expressions -he did them just like JOhn does when he's singing. I've never seen Adam live before, but the way he played Roger last night was the closest I've ever seen anyone come to John -it was so identical. I'm not just saying that - it's totally the fact. Adam & John's vocals were the strongest Rogers I have ever heard & I've seen Rent live twelve times. The Mimi was a contest from last year's American Idol & she was one of the best I've seen live - the only thing that kinda didn't work for me was that she had short, choppy hair, so when she did "Out Tonight" she had to take out a bag of glitter & sprinkle it instead of shaking it out of her hair. But, she carried the show wonderfully. I was disappointed in Collins, though, his vocals were one of the weakest I've heard which is saying a lot because Cover You reprise is usually a song that knocks my socks off, but he didn't do it for me & he's probably the only one who has never done that for me. I've gotta check my photos, but I think I've got a great shot of Anthony Rapp when he came out of the stage door. It was a mob scene outside the theatre - here in New York at the Nederlander, the actors come out of the front - there really isn't a stage door.

I saw Legally Blonde, The Musical, too, & I expected fluff, but it was actually done pretty decent. I expect that show to make it to the West End - it is worth seeing. I think John would be good as Emmett in that show.

<font color="#237323" size="1">[ July 31, 2007 09:22 PM: Message edited by: pattic ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

::sigh:: I'm not jealous at all. really [img]frown.gif[/img]

It's good to read so many positive reviews, I was somewhat afraid they'd turn out to be not-so-great considering it's been over ten years (I don't count the movie, in my world the movie never happened). Just watched the footage on bww and they were absolutely adorable... I wish I weren't broke.

(Does Tamyra still keep the glitter in her bra?)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

:: points at username:: let's pretend that other one never happened, alright? (I still have to use it to sign up for this account (hostboard is kind of weird that way) and it makes me cringe a little.

I'm surprised they still had tickets left considering all the teenage fangirls have been squealing about it for weeks...

right, the bww thingy is here.

The German cast WAS fab, I'd give my left leg for a reunion (I'd give my right arm for a reunion of the Frankfurt cast though).

I hope your daughter's surgery will go well [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#237323" size="1">[ August 03, 2007 03:11 PM: Message edited by: anna_davey ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks so much for that link!! That is a great clip. I can feel the energy right from just seeing the clip! Adam Pascal is right when he says you real need a kick-ass cast to do this show & they really have that at the moment. You see what I'm talking abt as for as how the crowd was that night? I've never been in an audience like that. It took forever for the show to start! And when it did - Anthony Rapp had to pause in btwn lines for the screaming. I'm going to try to go again before they leave.

Goes to show you, that when you go back to do a show years later, the show can be stronger than it was before. Adam Pascal said he was worried abt his age & how tens years past, but he was so strong vocal & performance wise - it made me really think back to Berlin & how strong I thought that show was. I might be crazy, but I really think his performance reminded me so much of JOhn's in Rent - they both have the facial expressions when singing.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for that clip. My sister is a big fan of Adam and it made her very happy to see this.
    All my love
    Evie
    x x

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi anna,

I meant to write 'anna' but for a moment i drew a blank & could only remember you as mimi (you'd think i remember that from all these years on all the different message boards where we've posted - sorry)

Anyways - yep - she pulled the glitter from her bra. It didn't have the same effect as when mimi usually takes down her hair, but her performance made up for it.

I knew there'd be a huge standing ovation for them when they came out on the stage. It was funny to see many of the fans there that have probably never seen anything but *that movie* (yeah I know what you mean - i wish they never made that movie - there's nothing like seeing Rent live) - those young fans were probably only became fans of the show due to the movie. But, none-the-less, the energy in the theatre was well worth it.

I didn't even know they were back on - it was by pure coincidence. I made plans for a spontaneous trip down to the city as a treat for my oldest daughter who is having pretty major surgery on this Tuesday, so knowing most theatres are dark on Monday except for Nederlander, I took a chance to see what kind of tickets they had left - then I discovered Rapp & Pascal were doing their first night back that night, so I quickly grabbed whatever tickets were left. We did pretty good considering last minute - third row center mezzanine - great seats. Front row seats were lottery for only $30 but I wasn't taking any chances. My daughter & I are huge Rent fans, so we needed to be there. Plus, it was a gift for her 17th b'day. Unfortunately, my photo of Anthony Rapp coming out the stage door didn't turn out - I was going to send it to you. They were pretty strict abt photos during the show & several people had to leave.
    Where's this footage you are talking abt? They are only back for 6 weeks. Many say that by bringing them back is a sign the show is closing in New York. Between the show I saw the other night & the Germany tour, those were the best shows I've ever seen. Sigh - i'd love to see a reunion of the German cast, too, but that would probably never happen.

<font color="#237323" size="1">[ August 03, 2007 12:55 PM: Message edited by: pattic ]</font>