KelliM

Talking

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....e_theatre.html

Miss Saigon @ Palace Theatre
    4star
    Natalie Anglesey

Miss Saigon will run until Jan 7, 2006
    Miss Saigon will run until Jan 7, 2006
    CAMERON Mackintosh?s new production of Miss Saigon may surprise the regular fans who expect to see a spectacle as well as hear the wonderful music created by Claude-Michel Schonberg and Alain Boublil.

Don?t panic ? because the soaring score and tragic story, based on Madame Butterfly, remain the same.

But Mackintosh, in collaboration with Adrian Vaux and director Mitchell Lemsky, has developed a different design concept which will fit into smaller scale theatres.
    Advertisement your story continues below

There?s a new video recreation of the famous helicopter scene, while Gerald Scarfe has created scathing animations for the show-stopping American Dream.

Title role

The performances are terrific, with Ima Castro in the title role and Ramin Karimloo as her US soldier lover Chris.

Radcliffe-born-and-bred John Partridge is Chris?s best friend John and, in one of the best performances I?ve seen in this role, brings the house down with his powerful delivery of Bui Doi, while Jon Jon Briones nearly steals the show as the manipulative Engineer.

I?ve seen several versions of this musical including the original London production. Strangely the lack of glitter concentrates attention more on the plight of the ill-fated lovers and yes I cried ? but so did some grown men nearby.

Miss Saigon is on at the Palace Theatre until Saturday, January 7. Tickets are priced ?13.50 - ?35. Call the Box Office on 0870 060 1768 for tickets or click here.

Submit your comments
    Related stories
    Saigon's stylish return (30/11/2005)
    Links to other web sites
    Miss Saigon
    Palace Theatre

and i saw this posted over at msn groups & I don't know where this came from because it was cut & pasted into a post, but I thought it was a nice read - some interview I've never seen before(I found the link:http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/entertainment/theatreanddance/s/158/158147_saigons_stylish_return.html

Another of the cast sure to have lots of friends in the audience is Radcliffe-born John Partridge, who plays American GI, John.

The towering 6ft 8ins star, who lives in Berlin, has been performing in West End shows, including Starlight Express, Cats, Tommy and Grease, for more than 16 years, but this will be the first time his work has ever brought him back home.

"I'm sure my mum's friends think she's making it up and believe `Her son doesn't really do all that kind of stuff,'" he laughs. "Now she can say, `See, I told you'.

"I joined the production in May. It's a great show but the real selling point for me was that I would be able to spend Christmas and New Year in Manchester.

"I've not been at home with my family for a long time. Touring might sound fun, but it's really hard not sleeping in your own bed, not having your own stuff around. When you're

it's not so bad, but I'm 34 this year.

"I'm looking forward to going home and seeing everyone - just to watch TV with my mum and have a cup of tea, to sleep in my childhood bed in my same room. I know it sounds silly, but I'm looking forward to all that.

"I went to boarding school when I was 10 and only went home for summer holidays, Christmas and Easter, so I haven't spent this long at home for as long as I can remember.

"I can't tell you how important it is to me to spend six weeks in Manchester."

<font color="#990009" size="1">[ August 21, 2006 11:33 PM: Message edited by: pattic ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for information.. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I haven't seen this before, thanks for posting.

...I get homesick after a week. [img]wink.gif[/img]

TMK90

AAAHHHH! I love this interview!!!! I hadn't read it before so its nice to have something new and fresh(for me at least) to read! Thanks! Its so cute what he says about being able to be home and I love how much of a family man he is and how he expresses it! [img]wink.gif[/img]

KelliM

This is an adorable article - I enjoyed reading it - sweet.

http://archive.thisislancashire.co.u...25/877289.html

A date with Miss Saigon

From the archive, first published Friday 25th Nov 2005.

WEST END performer John Partridge is returning to his Radcliffe roots for Christmas.

The 34-year-old is to perform in the acclaimed musical Miss Saigon at the Palace Theatre in Manchester which means he gets the chance to catch up with his family over the festive period.

As a youngster growing up in Park Street, Radcliffe, John's only ambition was to become a dancer.

He received early encouragement and support from his mum, Bridie and late father George and went on to study at the Royal Ballet School in London at the age of ten.

John's training also took him to the Bush Davies School and Doreen Bird College before he hit the West End stage in shows like Tommy, Starlight Express and Cats.

Widely travelled and now living in Berlin, this will be the first time John has performed in Manchester.

He said: "I have never worked in Manchester and that was the sole reason for me taking the job. It means I will be in Manchester for Christmas and New Year for the first time in five years and provides an opportunity for people who know me to come and see me in the show."

As well as John's family, who still live in Radcliffe, his old dancing teacher from the Rita Seddon School of Dance will be in the audience, prompting fond memories from his childhood. John said: "My sister, Fiona, went to dance classes and at that age you want to do everything your sister does so I asked if I could go. Before my dad would shell out for proper tap shoes he got me an old pair of normal shoes and fitted some taps to them. After I made a good job of the lino in the kitchen my parents allowed me to go to proper classes.

"I also remember performing in pantomimes at Radcliffe United Reformed Church. My parents were very supportive and have only ever been proud of me. I used to watch Gene Kelly and Fred Astair films with my dad so he had no problem with me wanting to be a dancer. I think he saw it as a ticket out for me and the job has certainly enabled me to meet a variety of people. I was rubbish at school and there was never any other option for me but to be a dancer."

As well as dancing, John will show off his singing talents in the production of Miss Saigon, in which he plays a character called John.

The musical tells the love story of an American GI and a young Vietnamese woman, set in 1975 during the final days leading up to the American evacuation of Saigon.

The Cameron Mackintosh production will play at the Palace Theatre from November 30 to January 7. For tickets, contact the box office on 0870 401 3000.

Archive Home
    From the archive
    http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk
    ? Newsquest Media Group 2005

And I read this one a long time ago, but I don't think I ever shared it here:

http://archive.thisislancashire.co.u...10/843195.html

Ballet high! By ANGELA KELLY

From the Bolton Evening News, first published Thursday 10th Oct 1996.

BALLET is on a real high . . .

And at one local dancing school, it's also proving a passport to stardom.

In the last month, nine pupils from the Dorita School of Dancing - whose dance studio is at Breightmet Methodist Church - have been chosen to dance in the Fame Factory's professional pantomime at Bolton's Albert Halls from December to January.

At audition, they beat scores of other youngsters from all over the area to be among only 39 children needed for the panto.

But this latest coup is only one in a list of dancing successes which prove that this small group of youngsters, aged from five to 19, are certainly on their toes.

The school scored 100 per cent success in recent ballet and tap dancing exams. Two gained their membership of the British Ballet Organisation at the first attempt - now Leila Padidar, 16, and Lynsey Stott, 19, can each place the prestigious initials MBBO after their names.

Since Rita Seddon first opened this dancing school in 1978, though, she has had impressive young dancers.

One of her first pupils, John Partridge, now 25, is currently dancing in the London production of "Tommy." He was chosen at the age of 11 to train at the country's most famous ballet establishment, the Royal Ballet School.

At 16, John was selected by audition to dance in "Cats," in the touring group then in the London company, and has also danced for Wayne Sleep on the televised "Hot Shoe Show".

Now, as our pictures show, today's young dancers are working hard to follow in his illustrious footsteps.

And, as Rita points out: "What makes their results even more remarkable is the fact that they only have one lesson a week, each Saturday morning."

Then, Rita admits, she really puts them through their paces.

"Their strict classical ballet training bring out poise, stamina, agility and confidence," she added.

"In these days, it is a joy to see children enjoying the rigours of classical dance training. They come alive when they appear on stage, and show their sheer joy of dancing."

Converted for the new archive on 14 July 2000. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.

Archive Home
    From the Bolton Evening News
    http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk
    ? Newsquest Media Group 1996

<font color="#990009" size="1">[ August 21, 2006 04:09 PM: Message edited by: pattic ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Haven't seen these either.
    None of them include any info on his singing (especially any training). I guess the "I just sing" line meant that he's a natural at it and that he never had to train really. Great, one of the best male singing voices and he didn't even have to practice to become one. *envy* ;>

KelliM

I've never heard of any formal voice training that he's had - didn't we read somewhere that as far as singing - he kinda just fell into it or was that musical theatre? somewhere, too, in some interview it says something abt him not even warming up before shows - i think it was the german interview in jan 2003 re: cats...

MisToxic

But he DOES warm up his voice... I've heard and seen him do it so many times...his voice was all over the place! [img]wink.gif[/img]
    CU,D.

KelliM

Really? wow - tell us more abt it Dani!! did you get to spend a lot of time with john backstage? I never did - well, I did one time in bromley - it was sort of backstage I guess & kinda outside, but eh, whatever- can't say i hated it - - but my goodness -it doesn't sound like it tops your times backstage - it sounds like you had many more great experiences than I did!!!! - gosh - so lucky you are ... you must be so much more than a fan - unfortunately i guess that's all I ever was - just a fan [img]frown.gif[/img] who met him at the stage doors for a quick hello & the sign of an autograph (no pics though!!) - & even when i went to berlin i didn't even see him at the stage door, but it was oh so worth the trip - a 14 hr. plane ride!!!, but you must have been able to establish a great friendship with him - will you share???? do you still keep in contact with him?? you must be close to his age where i am much much older & o' so provocative - you betch ya!~

<font color="#237323" size="1">[ November 07, 2006 06:16 PM: Message edited by: pattic ]</font>

MisToxic

Hi!
    well he always called me a friend...thank god! I hate the word fan anyways...I support shows and nothing more.
    but I don't want to show off! I'm thankful for every minute john wants to spend, cause it's always a pleasure...
    No, I don't have any contact with john at the moment, but that's what it's like most of the time when he's taking some time off...But that's ok! the next show will come and then I'll be the first to watch!;O)
    No, you misunderstood me...I haven't been backstage a lot. some time in london cats,yes, bromley, too, but not when it gets to working!
    we went to some pubs or caf?s together or even supermarkets but that's all...;O)
    His vocal warm-ups are easy to notice! as his voice is so strong it sounds through the windows...(especially open windows with a wildly waving john in the middle!)*g*

as for being a fan: I never asked for an autograph or a picture since we know each other! he gave an autograph to me for his own wish. and the only time I spend at stage doors is to let him know I'm in town and watching several shows... and to say goodbye...that's all. He knows I appreciate everything he does by watching me during the show! (he told me once) [img]wink.gif[/img] ok,sometimes I tell him how great he was, but as he said he's not easily flattered... and I don't want that either. flatter him.

But please don't envy me for that, I even don't know myself how it came that way...I made my mistakes, too and must have done something right on the other hand... I just let it flow and don't take the whole thing too serious.

And seriously, I'm not showing off!I'm a very modest and rather shy person,so I want to make that clear, just sharing experiences...He's such a great guy!
    CU,D.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast