Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ms review & other

KelliM

Thanks for sharing Dani and i'm sure you're not a nice person - i do think you're showing off so don't worry, just tell the truth. and yeah, you're right abt one thing - he can be a great guy.

<font color="#237323" size="1">[ November 04, 2006 09:30 PM: Message edited by: pattic ]</font>

MisToxic

thanx patti! and by the way I'm 26 on september 16th...so not really john's age...;O)
    Love,D.

KelliM

Oh i see, well I guess the poor chap is closer to my age, but he's still a few years younger than me (lol so is my husband! - I like 'em young [img]wink.gif[/img]
    Dani - I think we met the first time I was in Berlin for Rent back in 99 - you have red hair, right? And you hung around with another girl with glasses & I think her name began with a D, too - I forget it now...You were at Rent the first night I went & your friend had a photo album with her - - John wasn't on that night - Scott took over for him.

KelliM

I was reading some of the comments on the Mayflower Theatre site done by some of the patrons of Miss Saigon & for the most part, people had nice things to say.

http://www.the-mayflower.com/showcom...sp?show=SAIG06

I had to laugh at this comment made by someone at the way he starts it off in the first sentence abt his parents LOL: "As a child of parents who both want to marry John Partridge, I have no choice but to accept the family gene. Frankly, he could sing "Happy Birthday" and still make it one of the most gripping tunes to enter your ears. As far as memory strikes me, he is a much more aggressive John than I remember seeing in that first Drury Lane outing, but it works, it accentuates the exploitation of the girls, and it also seemed to be an enormous hit with the female members of the audience. By act two the wartime persona had obviously faded, but there was clearly a haunting past and reason behind the big lungs of Bui Doi. Without wanting to offend, I was pleasantly surprised by the performance given that I always categorised John Partridge as dancer/singer, not the actor/singer the role requires."

MisToxic

Nice comment on ms!hehe...
    yeah, that was me, I had red hair these times...and the other girl was diana.
    I'm sorry, but I cannot really remember you, but I know you by name...yes, scott was on,I remember that...that was a crazy weekend.It's really a long time ago!
    Sorry for offtopic!!!

KelliM

yep, it was a long time ago - john was 28 then. do your remember the cafeteria downstairs below the theatre? I remember being down there & seeing john walk in there & meeting him for the first time. I remember thinking when he first came through the door that he wasn't as tall as I expected him to be. That was an interesting night to say the least...ah, so long ago.

MisToxic

yes, the cafeteria...indeed, he looks taller on stage... [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img]
    ah, berlin...I sometimes miss those days, it was great fun!
    d.

KelliM

yep, i was only in berlin the first time for i think 3 days & it was quite dreary being late December & all...but it's a time I won't soon forget. lol - it was the first plane ride i had in 14 years & it was to come see john in rent - lol i faced my fear just for that!

But, that bit above in the discussion abt the parents - this made me think:

he is a much more aggressive John than I remember seeing in that first Drury Lane outing, but it works, it accentuates the exploitation of the girls, and it also seemed to be an enormous hit with the female members of the audience. By act two the wartime persona had obviously faded,

The actors i've seen play john were never aggressive - they seemed very flat-lined with a few tough guy comments in the beginning scenes, but never anything strongly aggressive, so i was always confused by the direction of the character - i never noticed that this character changes during the course of the show, but it sounds like he is suppose to & that john p. demonstrated that in his characterization of john (according to what the comment above says) - i can actually see this approach working - i think this is what needed to be done by the performers i saw in the role & then maybe I would have been able to see the transformation. That's one character in musical theatre that I could never figure out, but now I get it!

MisToxic

well, yeah. I've seen miss saigon before and I must say that the character of john was kind of boring, I couldn't really remember him after the show. for a long time he was just the guy who sang bui doi and not really anything more...
    but John p. made the role his own and gave him some deeper character lines I never thought of! plus the changes of it during the show. that was very interesting to watch...and gave me a different view! So I must say he did a good job. a very good job.
    d.

KelliM

i'd love to get my hands on a tape of this...
    and another link: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....e_theatre.html

For the most part, comments have been ok regarding miss saigon, except this article is a little rude: http://www.ausa.org.uk/assets/May_17...20partridge%22
    page 10

many different points of view - i guess it depends on the individual - but, all i have to judge from is the bui-doi recording & to me, that's spectacular - i've said that all along & if john did play the character aggressively, then good on him because like you said Dani & I agree, all the johns that i've seen have been boring - i hardly even noticed that part because the performances were so bland.

<font color="#990009" size="1">[ August 22, 2006 10:02 PM: Message edited by: pattic ]</font>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast