Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: When The Doors Close

[ QUOTE ]
    I know sometimes we have to remind ourselves over and over again, But you are right sports are not the most important thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this area it seems to be the opposite. I was always told that sports was previliage and that my education ame first. I'm sure that many of you all heard the same thing. But When people start worrying about thier sports programs, it just show where the majority of the concern goes.
    "Freedom is not free, it requires great sacrafice. The price is paid in blood."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

All I read is, "It's about the students. . . ". Well, if that was the case, the whining parents would open their minds and consider the option of consolidation with three new neutral schools between the towns being consolidated with more benefits, classes, clubs, etc than there are now.

It is also hilarious to hear people talk about the economics disadvantages to the towns of Appy and Pound. Have many of you driven through these small, deserted towns. There is not a lot of thriving businesses that exist there. A small grocery, some gas stations and a tire store in Pound, about the same in Appy. They are not exactly bustling metro centers who need the schools for an economic base. The economies in these towns died a long time ago when coal died for awhile. IF it is really all about the kids, then consolidation needs to be considered seriously. Meetings need to be held and discussions need to be openly held with open minds and mild tempers with everything out on the table for all to see. Then everyone can have a say and decisions that are best for everyone can be made.
    "One must strive for perfection to achieve excellence." Don Shula

[ QUOTE ]
    IF it is really all about the kids, then consolidation needs to be considered seriously. Meetings need to be held and discussions need to be openly held with open minds and mild tempers with everything out on the table for all to see. Then everyone can have a say and decisions that are best for everyone can be made

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    HAHA, this is where things have been hung up for 10 years. When it all comes out in the open and up front , things will work better.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

With all due respect to the views that have been voiced about the economies of Pound and Appalachia- I must state again that the overwhelming bulk of the severance tax in Wise County has come out of these areas. If the severance tax money had been fairly returned to them instead of Wise and Big Stone the meat of this argument would not exist. Wise and Big Stone do not deserve one drop of severance tax money from Pound or Appalachia. I might add that the economic problems in Pound were not caused by the decline of the coal industry. The reality is that the larger towns in Wise County have been feeding upon the smaller ones. Government sponsored economic dvelopment in Wise using revenues generated in other communities has been a prime cause of the problem. The advocates of consolidation have no real care for people in Pound, Appalachia, Coeburn, and St. Paul but are out to feather their own communities nests.
    It is a fortunate thing that it is very unlikely that a pro-consolidation majority can be elected to either board in Wise County. The last election showed what the voters thought of consolidation and it is improbable that these opinions will change for many years.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It may not happen for awhile, but it is only delaying and shortchanging the students of our county. It is so sickening to me that the students are getting cheated that I wish I had never brought mine back to be raised here and attend school here. . . I was better off in the city system they were slated to attend. Oh well, learn from your mistakes is what I've always been taught. Therefore, I guess its about time to get out of here and change that!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Kids in Pound are not getting shortchanged. A look at the SOL scores will show that Wise County consistently outperforms most of the other rural school systems in Virginia. The academics at Pound are excellent. Most of the courses that the proponents of consolidation (Basham) wanted to add were not properly taught at the high school level- they belong in college.
    Most educational research is trending in favor of smaller schools. A smaller school in the confines of their community offers a better environment for students.
    Academics should come before sports- I think we all know this has sometimes not been a common practice around here. Consolidation will not solve this problem.
    There are problems with nonsport extracurricular activities that would be impacted by consolidation. A larger school means less- not more- opportunity for students to participate. Example- a forensics competition- you will only have one school play with so many actors.
    Pound has no problems with its academics- it has no problems with its buildings. People here know it would be crazy to consolidate and they will vote accordingly.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Kentucky can in fact order its counties to consolidate their schools, which Virginia cannot. And if they do not order it, they coerce the school districts into consolidation by witholding state funds. The latest example of this is Harlan County. The people there are very much opposed to consolidation, but theyre not going to have a choice either. The state offers them over 13 million dollars, but they have to use the money to build a new school, they will not get it if they want to fix their old ones. What a crock.

Also, on Letcher County...I have talked with several people from Neon who are extremely unhappy about consolidation. So there you have it.

I begin to notice that somehow you manage to get the phrase

"what is/was best for our kids"

into almost every single post you make. This is the objective of propaganda, to get people to repeat it and to believe it wholeheartedly without question or forethought.

The truth is that bigger schools do not mean better academic achievement. Here is an excerpt from a very good article on these "wonderful" consolidated Kentucky schools you sing the praises of.

"The large consolidated schools of eastern Kentucky are consistently among the lowest performing school districts in the state, while smaller independent school districts are among the highest scoring." Full Article

Also, in response to luvhoops..
    In another thread you claim to be from Pound. If the things you say here are the attitude you have toward your own hometown, then you must be a very sad individual. If all Pound means to you is "A pothole somewhere in VA" then I pray that there arent many more like you, because its people like that who are content to sit by and let their towns go to ruin. Pound may be in bad shape compared to Wise when it comes to businesses, but it has not always been so. At one time Wise was nothing compared to Pound. (5 department stores compared to 2, etc) And the only reason they are thriving today is exactly as swvacsas said.. Wise and BSG have benefitted at the expense of Pound and Appy. An example of this? That wonderful little four-lane connection between Wise and Norton, you know, where the new WalMart is? That section of road was built with Coal Severance Tax money.. from where? Pound and Appy.
    [img]http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/2766/lonecrusader4my.jpg[/img]

"Never, never, never give up." - Winston Churchill

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

You bring up a lot of the same things me and spuds did.

It isn't that the kids are not getting an education. It's the simple fact of money vs funding.
    And yeah i will say this because some won't. There was a plan to move some AP programs to schools that some wanted for some consolidation and let other schools do without. No use lying or hiding it.

There will come a time the county will face this. Coal right now is booming and things look ok. However, when that changes and jobs are lost. Well so are the folks who are now staying.

I don't won't consolidation. But i have looked at it financially and not just at sports and a quick, but stupid fix as Basham had planned.

This is the first year we have not showed a decine in enrollment and at least stayed even.
    Financially in anything, including running schools and in funding, you have to reach a point, where you set a point of balancing it out.

That is the problems i see that will force Wise County schools to consolidate and even probably bring on board the City of Norton Schools.

I don't like the idea myself of larger ratio's student to pupil, however financially it is coming.
    The only thing to stop that, would be the coal boom and it lasting for a long time, people returning for jobs back this way, similiar to what we had in the late 60's and 70's.

One reason the cost to build 3 new state of the art schools, would be economical and practical, cost wise once you see your enrollment dropping, and no mid line leveling with cost being absorbed.

The real problem consolidation has faced in this area. Was a poor board and poor leadership of that board. Then hasty decisions made by folks who, well were on their way out, and were looking out for themselves.
    Some will Bash me for this, but Basham got what he wanted. A renewed contract and then a buyout.

Many played right into what he wanted. He knew no one in WC would vote to have their kids put in trailers trying to revamp schools that would cost more to revamp, than building 3 new schools would cost.

So in a way he was very smart and played a lot. Some just never seen it coming. Smart man in my opinion. Just got what he wanted and got out.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No doubt that Wise County constantly outperforms the other rural counties, HOWEVER SOLS are not everything in education in my opinion. Duh, I went to Pound and graduated from there as well as from a prestigious college. I know the education is great, but I know that it could be better. Who says there has to be just one play? Anyway, saying anymore would be useless because most people are so closed minded and can't open there eyes and see the forest through the trees. Like I said, the best thing for me and my children is to get out of here before they end up so closed minded that they can't make the best decisions for their own children.

Inactive Member imported_Sportsman's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, you're right, SOLs measure the bare mininimum for competency.